homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Randy
  • 1 Post By Origin
  • 1 Post By Demiurge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #1

Spinedriver is just really niceSpinedriver is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another record breaking year for Apple..

It really is a shame that they can't move 500,000 manufacturing jobs to the U.S/Canada. If only they had enough money to pay people here a decent wage....

Apple Posts Over $46 Billion in Q1 Revenues - IGN
Spinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

MacTown09 is just really niceMacTown09 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
They wouldnt even need much more money to pay workers here. I saw some info that should it would only cost like $1.20 per unit more to make an iphone here. sucks.
MacTown09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Apple recently had an issue with mass suicides at the factories of certain suppliers. Pretty weird.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
is really Sasquatch.

AngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Apple recently had an issue with mass suicides at the factories of certain suppliers. Pretty weird.
Stealth!!! You're alive!!! I was worried, then DjPharoh told me you requested a ban.
Anywho, mass suicides? Uhm...strange...

I just wasted your time.
AngstRiddenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #5

The Foxconn factory had to put up nets in between the buildings because the employees were jumping out the windows. The people there have 3 choices:

1. Work 60+ hours a week for roughly $35.
2. Starve because you have no money and no 'social services' whatsoever to help out.
3. Jump off a building and be done with it.

Granted, the factories are not owned or operated by Apple per se but with their kind of money & influence they could easily get things changed.
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTown09 View Post
They wouldnt even need much more money to pay workers here. I saw some info that should it would only cost like $1.20 per unit more to make an iphone here. sucks.
I thought I heard it was more like $60 but that's on the MSRP anyway. I also heard that the factories work around the clock and workers make ~$15 a day.

I'd be more than happy to pay an extra $60 if that means American jobs and not having my stuff built in slave conditions.
Spinedriver, Origin and AxeHappy like this.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Rainbow In The Dark

Origin is just really niceOrigin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I thought I heard it was more like $60 but that's on the MSRP anyway. I also heard that the factories work around the clock and workers make ~$15 a day.

I'd be more than happy to pay an extra $60 if that means American jobs and not having my stuff built in slave conditions.
This. If a company's already making a shitload of money and THEN allow what is essentially modern slavery to make a little more, I can't help but find them fiendish. If it's your only way of getting product at a price you can break even at, sure, you're in a tight spot and a gray area, but jesus christ.

I know it's not directly their factory, just....it's just ....ed.
Randy likes this.

Praise the sun!
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Yeah I've heard about that. The factories really push the workers hard. They work in pretty hostile conditions, with no breaks and for long hours.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah its pretty pathetic seeing as they have a $425B market cap
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

3salvation can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin View Post
This. If a company's already making a shitload of money and THEN allow what is essentially modern slavery to make a little more, I can't help but find them fiendish. If it's your only way of getting product at a price you can break even at, sure, you're in a tight spot and a gray area, but jesus christ.

I know it's not directly their factory, just....it's just ....ed.
But You take that factory away and thousands of families will be starving while in States most would find another job.
It is slowly changing for better in China and their economy is growing while most of Western ones are shrinking or are flat at best. This is where the world borrows its money from these days. In 50 years time they might feel sorry for us on their 'guitar forums'. Time will tell.
3salvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3salvation View Post
But You take that factory away and thousands of families will be starving while in States most would find another job.
It is slowly changing for better in China and their economy is growing while most of Western ones are shrinking or are flat at best. This is where the world borrows its money from these days. In 50 years time they might feel sorry for us on their 'guitar forums'. Time will tell.
You do have a point in that they need the work, however easily 80% of the world's electronics devices are made in China. If one manufacturer (Apple) picked up and moved, I'm sure they would survive.

As for the pay, in 2010 the starting wage for a Foxconn employee was $135 a month.

In the same year, Apple reported that they were making 48-58% PROFIT on every iPad sold. No other company that I can think of makes profit like that on a product. The thing is, with more and more stores going under due to online retailers, the only new 'jobs' being created are call centers and restaurants. If Apple were to open a manufacturing plant, it would mean long term employment with plenty of room to advance. Whereas unless you want to get into marketing, a call center is pretty much a dead end job.
Unread 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

3salvation can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinedriver View Post
You do have a point in that they need the work, however easily 80% of the world's electronics devices are made in China. If one manufacturer (Apple) picked up and moved, I'm sure they would survive.
On a countrywide scale it would't mean much (same as to US) but on a local scale - just look at the conditions/terms they do that work and You can sort of guess what it means to them. I'm not saying it's right. All I'm saying is that it's better than nothing.
Quote:
As for the pay, in 2010 the starting wage for a Foxconn employee was $135 a month.
You know that You can't really compare the wages to Western standards?
Quote:
In the same year, Apple reported that they were making 48-58% PROFIT on every iPad sold. No other company that I can think of makes profit like that on a product.
It is (Far East) Capitalist' paradise for Western companies, no question about it. Salary level and worker's output they get is precisely the reason they went there in the first place. Language, cultural, political and distance barriers which at the start one would consider as a massive obstacles were overcome fairly quickly.
Now ask yourself, as a chief executive would You go from 50% down to 20% profit? How many shareholders would back You up?
All I... well hope really is that for people up there is still better in the long term. For us it's better now because the price of the product (if made in US) would not be higher by 1.20$ as someone mentioned it'd tripled, quadrupled or more.
Quote:
The thing is, with more and more stores going under due to online retailers, the only new 'jobs' being created are call centers and restaurants. If Apple were to open a manufacturing plant, it would mean long term employment with plenty of room to advance. Whereas unless you want to get into marketing, a call center is pretty much a dead end job
Don't worry about jobs in US in that respect as I think most of the profit still ends up there. This is where shareholders spend their money. It's less obvious than a factory that provides jobs directly but these people buy cars, homes, yachts, go to restaurants...etc
3salvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Apple iNett: Back To Work! - Video @ Teamcoco.com

Worker suicide problem solved.
Randy likes this.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote