homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Frankly, I'm disgusted..

Prayer can cure, churches tell those with HIV - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

That is all

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
This is why I think we need to take a better look at the right to freedom of speech. This is dangerous stuff.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Disciple of Djod

Vostre Roy is a name known to allVostre Roy is a name known to allVostre Roy is a name known to allVostre Roy is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I do believe that it takes more than pills to cure any disease, you somehow have to believe that you'll be cured, it can either be a divine intervention or strong believing about your body's capacity to heal. Owever, it helps, but not as much as prescriptions drugs, especially in HIV or other really deadly deceases.

Those religious fanatics should be prosecuted for giving false "medical" advices to people who are weakened by their decease and that could easily lead to their death.

"Solid-state - A component that has been specifically designed to make a guitar amplifier sound bad. Compared to tubes, these devices can have a very long lifespan, which guarantees that your amplifier will retain it's thin, lifeless, and buzzy sound for a long time to come."

ABSURD APOSTLE OF DJOD
Vostre Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Divine Parad°x

Sephael is just really niceSephael is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostre Roy View Post
weakened by their decease
Freudian slip?
Watty likes this.
Sephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
XEN
(formerly urklvt)

XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Having grown up in and around all of that BS it's really nothing new to me, and in fact it's rather tame compared to some stuff I dealt with, especially in my own home.

One of these days I'm going to put it all in print (or the iBooks store) but for now, suffice it to say, I have renounced Christianity.

XEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Total Grind Hell

chronocide is just really nicechronocide is just really nice
Foo Fighters are in on this stuff too. Or at least they used to be and Nate Mendel definitely still is.

Well, sort of. He's a big proponent of the groups that claim "HIV isn't real, don't take your medication, you'll be fine!" Morons.

It's too bad she wont live, but then again who does?

http://www.myspace.com/chronocide - Blackened Grind Crust Hell

http://www.myspace.com/sunsmasher - Utterly Joyless Glaswegian Doom Misery
chronocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronocide View Post
Foo Fighters are in on this stuff too. Or at least they used to be and Nate Mendel definitely still is.

Well, sort of. He's a big proponent of the groups that claim "HIV isn't real, don't take your medication, you'll be fine!" Morons.
Seriously? These guys did a gig against the WBC I would've thought they'd be more savvy when it comes to that sort of thing.
Unread 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urklvt View Post
One of these days I'm going to put it all in print (or the iBooks store) but for now, suffice it to say, I have renounced Christianity.

http://out.ffrf.org/billboard/3608.jpg
I'd read that book

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Unread 10-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
.... that.

This pretty much confirms my suspicions that basically all evangelists are ....ing stupid.
Cannibalbritney likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
Total Grind Hell

chronocide is just really nicechronocide is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
Seriously? These guys did a gig against the WBC I would've thought they'd be more savvy when it comes to that sort of thing.
HIV Dissidence Debate | Mother Jones

That's a response from Mendel after an article had slagged Foo Fighters off for being HIV denialists.

Note, the charity he supports, Alive and Well AIDS Alternatives, was founded by the now deceased (due to AIDS) Christine Maggiore, who tested HIV+ but refused treatment and also refused to have her daughter treated, also resulting in her death.

It's too bad she wont live, but then again who does?

http://www.myspace.com/chronocide - Blackened Grind Crust Hell

http://www.myspace.com/sunsmasher - Utterly Joyless Glaswegian Doom Misery
chronocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

Dvaienat is a jewel in the rough
The preachers who believe this are clearly suffering from delusion. Most likely due to indoctrination in young childhood. And the worst thing is that some more deluded people will take their claims seriously and stop taking medicines. In other words they are leading people to their graves.

Religion is a complete falsity made up by the powerful to control the people. I wish people would just wake up to that fact, and stop believing in things which are both illogical and have no proof. There is no sky fairy. We have to take responsibility for our actions here, on earth, in this life.
Dvaienat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #12
Divine Parad°x

Sephael is just really niceSephael is just really nice
Worse still, honestly, is that a lot of rural Africans believe that having sex with a young girl will cure the Aids
highlordmugfug likes this.
Sephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

Edika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of light
I am a bit confused, this is happening in Africa or in the UK?
If it happens in Africa I can accept that people can be misguided due to the state of most of the African countries, poverty, bad education and not easy access to information.
If it is happening in the UK then I am shocked that people would believe these kind of claims.

New songs from my band Semic Stains up at:

http://www.myspace.com/semicstains

Check 'em out!
Edika is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #14
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edika View Post
I am a bit confused, this is happening in Africa or in the UK?
If it happens in Africa I can accept that people can be misguided due to the state of most of the African countries, poverty, bad education and not easy access to information.
If it is happening in the UK then I am shocked that people would believe these kind of claims.
Happens in the UK and the US, probably in other places too

Unread 10-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Edika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of light
People or churches can claim whatever they want and I disagree even joking about freedom of speech. At these day and age we have all available information do make a decision. That of course requires good judgement and a critical mind. If these people believe that prayer will cure them and not medication for whatever reasons (despair, faith, outright stupidity) then it is their choice. They will be missed by their loved ones but not by me!

Now concerning the church itself there could be a legal case of exploitation of religious beliefs since there is no scientific proof that prayer cures HIV. This is false advertizing and endangerment of human lives. If church wants to provide moral support for these people ok but leave science to scientist and medical issues to MD's.
the fuhrer likes this.

Check 'em out!
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
Pretty wisdomous

Quote:
People or churches can claim whatever they want and I disagree even joking about freedom of speech. At these day and age we have all available information do make a decision. That of course requires good judgement and a critical mind. If these people believe that prayer will cure them and not medication for whatever reasons (despair, faith, outright stupidity) then it is their choice. They will be missed by their loved ones but not by me!

Now concerning the church itself there could be a legal case of exploitation of religious beliefs since there is no scientific proof that prayer cures HIV. This is false advertizing and endangerment of human lives. If church wants to provide moral support for these people ok but leave science to scientist and medical issues to MD's.
I think we should round them all up for false advertising... After all, they are selling a product that can't be measured, quantified, or percieved in any kind of way. How is that different from a con-man selling boxes of air to little old ladies?

-We promise it'll be worth your while...

Well, I promise that if you invest 5000$ in my business, it'll be worth five times as much in 500 years. How do I know that? I know it in my heart, and it says it's true in this book I've written myself. And if you don't believe me and give me the money, I will have punish you, sorry about that, it's all out of my hands, but take comfort in that I love you and all humanity anyway.
Ok, you can make the check out to J-a-k-o-b....

Unread 10-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #17
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
Quote:
I disagree even joking about freedom of speech.

Basically, I agree. The great thing about freedom of speech is that when you don't like what someone is saying, you can use your own speech to counter it. I do, however, think that distributing potentially fatally bad medical advice should have legal ramifications. If a doctor knowingly prescribes the wrong medicine then it's murder, but if a church does it's faith.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
And then people say I have a peculiar faith because I don't believe God has anything to do with nature's course. Pray if it strengthens you, but please, PLEASE take the darn medicine!

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Jaden Rose Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Fred the Shred is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakke View Post
I think we should round them all up for false advertising... After all, they are selling a product that can't be measured, quantified, or percieved in any kind of way. How is that different from a con-man selling boxes of air to little old ladies?

-We promise it'll be worth your while...

Well, I promise that if you invest 5000$ in my business, it'll be worth five times as much in 500 years. How do I know that? I know it in my heart, and it says it's true in this book I've written myself. And if you don't believe me and give me the money, I will have punish you, sorry about that, it's all out of my hands, but take comfort in that I love you and all humanity anyway.
Ok, you can make the check out to J-a-k-o-b....

Hahahaha so true! I have thought countless of times at how easy it would be to run a scam like this seeing how gullible are most people. Unfortunately for my pocket and fortunately as a person and my fellow humans I have a conscience and could not live with myself. But really it seems almost effortless to trick people to give you money!

Check 'em out!
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #20
Wound tight

Nimgoble is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostre Roy View Post
I do believe that it takes more than pills to cure any disease, you somehow have to believe that you'll be cured, it can either be a divine intervention or strong believing about your body's capacity to heal. Owever, it helps, but not as much as prescriptions drugs, especially in HIV or other really deadly deceases.
While I'm not denying the effectiveness of holistic treatments, I think it's kind of a stretch to say that it takes more than pills to cure any disease. If I have a minor bacterial infection of some sort, am given an antibiotic and am otherwise healthy, no matter how much I'm convinced I'm not going to get better, that medicine is still going to do its job.

Quote:
This.

Quote:
The thing is, they aren't claiming there is any scientific proof, so it isn't false advertising. Is it dangerous to listen to this advice? Sure is! But, as you said above, people should KNOW this already. The information is out there. It's time for people to stop believing whatever is spoon-fed to them and do some research. If they still choose to listen, then the consequences are on their heads. The churches aren't forcing anyone to refrain from seeking medical attention.
Nimgoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #21
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimgoble View Post
The thing is, they aren't claiming there is any scientific proof, so it isn't false advertising. Is it dangerous to listen to this advice? Sure is! But, as you said above, people should KNOW this already. The information is out there. It's time for people to stop believing whatever is spoon-fed to them and do some research. If they still choose to listen, then the consequences are on their heads. The churches aren't forcing anyone to refrain from seeking medical attention.
"People should know" is an assumption. Assumption is, by proven experience, the mother of all ....ups. As such, assuming that people will possess the knowledge to take said advice with a grain of salt and distinguish religious faith from scientific facts, thus engaging in both prayer AND the medical treatment is not going to end well - freedom of speech is fine and dandy, yet this is clearly misinformation, which has the added bonus of said church being able to allege that the HIV infected dude died because "his faith faltered, God bless his soul" or "his prayers didn't have enough devotion to them". Slippery slope, that one.

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Jaden Rose Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Fred the Shred is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waelstrum View Post

Basically, I agree. The great thing about freedom of speech is that when you don't like what someone is saying, you can use your own speech to counter it. I do, however, think that distributing potentially fatally bad medical advice should have legal ramifications. If a doctor knowingly prescribes the wrong medicine then it's murder, but if a church does it's faith.
Words can be dangerous. They can be a poison that corrupts people and I think that needs to be addressed. There are libel/slander laws to punish someone for saying something about you that has no proof, and there should be laws against making potentially damaging statements like this. Freedom of speech shouldn't be abused.
highlordmugfug and AxeHappy like this.
Unread 10-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #23
Wound tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Shred View Post
"People should know" is an assumption. Assumption is, by proven experience, the mother of all ....ups.
I think, in the world we live in today, with us possessing the means to come by this information with little effort, it's a fair assumption to make.

Quote:
As such, assuming that people will possess the knowledge to take said advice with a grain of salt and distinguish religious faith from scientific facts, thus engaging in both prayer AND the medical treatment is not going to end well
To be completely honest, I'm only worried about those of us smart enough to know to take that stuff with a grain of salt. Anyone who is told that "You don't have to take medicine for your ailments because god will cure them for you if you just believe." and doesn't immediately ask: "...what medicine?" is not someone I lament losing. I think that those who listen without questioning become a victim of natural selection. And I don't have a problem with that.

Then again, I'm looking making some assumptions. Allow me to point out some potential flaws/discrepancies in my own argument:

-I'm making the assumption that said victims aren't children, who are just listening to their idiotic, but trusted, parents.

-I'm making the assumption that this isn't happening in a third world country, where (current) information is hard to come by.

I, honestly, don't know what to do about these cases, or if there is any cause to do anything. For the former, if the children were to survive, they'd probably grow up to be indoctrinated clones of their parents. Not too appealing. For the latter, I don't live in a third-world country. What happens in them is really none of my concern. I'm worried about me and mine.

Quote:
- freedom of speech is fine and dandy, yet this is clearly misinformation, which has the added bonus of said church being able to allege that the HIV infected dude died because "his faith faltered, God bless his soul" or "his prayers didn't have enough devotion to them". Slippery slope, that one.
Devil's advocate here: This does not qualify as misinformation because we can't, in fact, prove that they are wrong.

...Because we can't find their god. Furthermore, we're expected to NOT look because, when we do fail to find said god after searching, the questions we ask are an insult to their faith, which is to be respected, for some reason.

It comes down to the issue of misinformation and the spreading thereof. What qualifies as misinformation? What do we do about this practice? Do we allow it with certain stipulations? For example, do we allow it unless it's harmful? If so, what's harmful? Let's say this group decided to switch tactics and say: "You don't need medication, period. If you do use it, you're going to Hell." Who is to say dying here on Earth is more harmful than burning in Hell for eternity? If we decide that, because there is no basis for that claim, it is harmful, then what do we do about religion, period? Religions, themselves, make a bunch of supernatural and unfounded claims. Is misinformation not a bad thing, period? Do we censor religions? Ban them?
Guitarman700 likes this.
Unread 10-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

[QUOTE/ For the latter, I don't live in a third-world country. What happens in them is really none of my concern. I'm worried about me and mine. /QUOTE]

Only statement I don't agree with the above post. It's a discussion for another thread so I will not comment further not to derail the thread but for the rest I agree with you.

Check 'em out!
Unread 10-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #25
Wound tight

Quote:
[QUOTE/ For the latter, I don't live in a third-world country. What happens in them is really none of my concern. I'm worried about me and mine. /QUOTE]

Only statement I don't agree with the above post. It's a discussion for another thread so I will not comment further not to derail the thread but for the rest I agree with you.
I understand and I figured a vast majority WOULD disagree with that. But, I feel that understanding a person's priorities is beneficial when having a discussion with them.