homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Lone fundamentalist gets books banned in MO

Yielding To Censorship: Mo. School Board Bans Books That Are

How is this stupid bullshit still happening? Book (burning) banning? Really?

It's 2011.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
It's also America, where religion is granted an (almost) free pass to do shit like this.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Total Grind Hell

chronocide is just really nicechronocide is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clowns.

It's too bad she wont live, but then again who does?

http://www.myspace.com/chronocide - Blackened Grind Crust Hell

http://www.myspace.com/sunsmasher - Utterly Joyless Glaswegian Doom Misery
chronocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronocide View Post
Clowns.
Are ....ing scary.

But yes, I agree with this sentiment.

Unread 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is just really nicecwhitey2 is just really nice
Prime example of why religion is a joke IMO...

Flame shield activated
neoclassical likes this.

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

cwhitey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhitey2 View Post
Prime example of why religion is a joke IMO...

Flame shield activated
If you can't effectively argue against a viewpoint, do your best to silence anything or anyone who might bring it up.

EDIT: Meaning, book banning is idiotic and despicable, and religion can lead people to try and do it and has quite many times.
CrushingAnvil likes this.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Death Metal™

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post
If you can't effectively argue against a viewpoint, do your best to silence anything or anyone who might bring it up.
Separation of church and state....public school

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

Unread 08-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Slaughterhouse Five is ....ing great.
Bigfan and Sicarius like this.

Unread 08-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Death Metal™

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post

EDIT: Meaning, book banning is idiotic and despicable, and religion can lead people to try and do it and has quite many times.
I agree with book banning in general is pathetic, the fact that it is contradictory to what some people believe is what the real joke is about. They are so close minded its

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

Unread 08-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
XEN
(formerly urklvt)

XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Religion über alles.
XEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
God ....ing damnit I hate this shitty ass state.
K3V1N SHR3DZ and Bigfan like this.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Banned

AySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not surprised..or even indignant over these kind of stories anymore.
I wish some of the sane US dwellers would step out of the bubble and see what their country is becoming...and maybe do something about it.
Guitarman700 likes this.
AySay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AySay View Post
I wish some of the sane US dwellers would step out of the bubble and see what their country is becoming...and maybe do something about it.

Unread 08-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Naturally Cynical

Watty is a glorious beacon of lightWatty is a glorious beacon of lightWatty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
There's quite a few of us; however, until the general population becomes open to the idea of elected officials with no religious affiliation whatsoever, it's an uphill battle to say the least. Additionally, being that more people are in love with the idea of calling themselves religious, regardless of their actual belief, offending someone by opposing their BS could turn into a S-storm for the whistleblower within our sue-happy system of (in)justice. Freedom of speech works both ways, in some cases, unfortunately so.

The author of the article did touch on a good point at the end. Telling teens they can't do something generally means they will. Now, with books, I suspect it's a lot less likely, but a good point nonetheless. Kind of ties in with the idea that I personally see nothing wrong with having creationism taught in schools. Imagine learning about biological fact for half the class and then having the instructor turn around and say something to the effect of "and now, because the right wing whined enough to the government, we will begin to talk about the alternate theory..." Allowing the BS to take the spotlight will only ultimately serve to open the eyes of more young people, who will eventually ween out all the fundamentalists who perpetuate/propagate this detrimental aspect of society.

/psuedo rant
AySay, BigPhi84 and Guitarman700 like this.
Watty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
"Becoming?" News about one state banning some books is an improvement. For all the hemming and hawing people do about all the idiocy the news is spackled with since the dawn of the internet and 24 hour news networks, it's easy to forget that things are better than they used to be. When the federal government bans literature that goes contrary to the popular party's politics, I'll worry about what the country is becoming. When I read this, I think "Only one state? Step in the right direction! Score!"

EDIT to change amount of books.
BigPhi84 and ddtonfire like this.
Grand Moff Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
We try. Unfortunately, it will take a long time to undo what 35 years of "conservative" practices have done to the education system, once we eventually get started on it.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

ddtonfire is just really niceddtonfire is just really nice
Quote:
If there’s any silver lining in this sorry incident, it’s this: Telling young people that they can’t or shouldn’t read a certain book or listen to a certain CD almost always causes a run on that book or CD. After all, it’s imperative to find out what it is that the adults don’t want you to see or hear.

So I say to the students of Republic High: Get your hands on a copy of Slaughterhouse-Five. It’s worth your time. And if you’re having trouble finding a copy around town, drop me a line. I know a source at a used-book store who can round up as many as you need.

My sister's reading this book right now. I intend to check it out after she's done.
ddtonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #18
Banned

aslsmm is just really niceaslsmm is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
@wantsonb2

Im not trying to start a flame war, but it sounds like you are saying that biological fact disproves the the possibility of a god creating man. is that correct?

the reason i ask is cause im a biology major and biological facts just prove how living things develope. thats very different from how living things are created. In fact my biology teacher at college hates it when people try to compare biology with religion. they have no connection to each other.

i too hate book bans.
aslsmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the dude (the one who complained) doesn't like books that are "contrary to the bible", he can enroll his kids in a private school, which tend to be Christian schools. Problem solved.
Bigfan likes this.
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
Banned

daemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslsmm View Post
@wantsonb2

Im not trying to start a flame war, but it sounds like you are saying that biological fact disproves the the possibility of a god creating man. is that correct?

the reason i ask is cause im a biology major and biological facts just prove how living things develope. thats very different from how living things are created. In fact my biology teacher at college hates it when people try to compare biology with religion. they have no connection to each other.

i too hate book bans.
Biological Facts indeed prove that the biblical, or better said Abraham's god did not created man. We clearly know that the timeline was totally wrong, we know that Eve was not Adam's Rib and so on.
It ofcourse do not disprove any god per se, but none of the gods in Human history of Religion created Humans in millions of years of slow evolution.
In that sense, yeah he is right about his statement!

Religion does a lot to do with Biology, since religios books explain how everything created, how everything runs and how everything ends.

Biology is exactly the type of the scinece which tries to explain those.
daemon barbeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #21
Naturally Cynical

Watty is a glorious beacon of lightWatty is a glorious beacon of lightWatty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslsmm View Post
@watsonb2

i too hate book bans.
I wouldn't dream of beginning to start a "flame war" regarding religion, as it is the single most pointless thing in existence. Arguing with a true religious believer is, in my mind, most likely akin to arguing with a person suffering from a thoroughly ingrained case of Stockholm Syndrome...

I too would agree with the statement that says creation is different from evolution, and didn't exactly mean for my statement to be interpreted as you indicated; more a commentary on the state of things, less a postulation as to ultimate resolution of creationist debate. To be fair however, evolution does imply a regression to a state at which life could have been referred to as having [just] been created; with that idea in mind, I say that science, regardless of specifics, provides a much clearer picture of our existence than does the snap of God's proverbial fingers.

+1 on bans of [almost any] kind. Folks only serve to draw negative attention to themselves when pulling a stunt like this; especially odd in the case of those folks who are religious. Their flagging horse could use as many fans as possible and all they continue to do is alienate those people...
Guitarman700 likes this.
Watty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #22
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This will be struck down very easily. It fails the most basic judicial test.

----

I find it interesting that, if a Divine Creator made humans and octopi, that Creator gave humans, made in His/Her image, the flawed eye design and gave the better designed eye to the octopus. Ah, well... no one said a Divine Creator was smart, just Divine....

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #23
EMPERORoftheUNIVERSE

K3V1N SHR3DZ is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
shit like this makes me ashamed to tell people I'm from Missouri.
K3V1N SHR3DZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
.... yeah Missurah!
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #25
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
This is fake, right? Or it's somehow exaggerated to seem like a legitimate possibility? I don't see how 'Merica, a country founded on a constitution that specifically bans this kind of thing (a constitution that seems to be treated like a holy document) could allow this sort of bullshit.

Incidentally, they're banning them for teaching unbiblical values or whatever, so doesn't that mean they should ban Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, the Quaran, the Torah, Mein Kampf, and basically every other book except the bible? Also, is this guy's own faith so fragile that merely reading a different story will make him forget about god? If so, don't project you're insecurities on others. People have read Mein Kampf not only for the purpose of affirming their Nazi beliefs, but also to try to learn more about how humanity can stoop so low, or to to a point by point rebuttal, or any other reason. It didn't turn them all into Nazis any more than reading the bible turned me christian, or reading Harry Potter turned me into a wizard.
XEN and Hemi-Powered Drone like this.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote