homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

QuambaFu is just really niceQuambaFu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sidewalk smoking ban

I offer more nanny state revenue generating laws. $1000 fine for smoking on public sidewalks in front of businesses in Great Neck, NY.

NY Village Bans Smoking On Public Sidewalks

My gut reaction is this: Welcome to the United States, we are a bunch of pussy whining idiots. I will try to settle down now.

Smoking is bad, we should make it illegal <-sarcasm font here.
QuambaFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

thesimo is just really nicethesimo is just really nice
good! why should you have to walk through other peoples smoke?
thesimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Im down. We have a no smoking policy at my college and the perimeter is a TUNNEL of smoke. If they can't smoke on the sidewalk, that means i can get to my destination without my eyes watering.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Come on people, walking "through other people's smoke" really isn't that bad.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

deathsguitarist will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I dont like breathing in exhaust fumes from cars when Im walking through a parking garage. When will that be illegal?
deathsguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Probrem?

ivancic1al is a jewel in the rough
^ The people in the video who said they had to hold their breath to walk down the sidewalk? Is it honestly that bad? Come on now...

Just as awesome as he is stupid.

Dun, dadada dadadadada dun.

CLIMB-FIGHT-THROW-CLIMB-FIGHT-THROW-CLIMB-FIGHT-THROW-CHASE-RAPE-THROW!
ivancic1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Jessofperdition

tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
given that cigarette smoke dampers the smoker's senses of taste and smell, not to mention that it doesn't bother them as much as a non-smoker, being 'not that bad' is not all that accurate.

A good example of what I'm talking about would be a homeless guy that hasn't showered in probably 3-4 months. To them they smell ok, but if you tried putting them in your home, you'd retch and probably throw up because the smell is that bad. Same thing here....

Also, I notice smokers pay absolutely no heed to the "stay at least 20 feet from the door" rule when they have to smoke outside. So basically all that shit comes back in anyways; rendering the point of banning smoking moot.

Still, even as a non-smoker, I find that this is starting to get a little bit ridiculous. Where the .... are people gonna smoke now that they can't even smoke outside? How about instead of enacting more and more legislation, find an alternative that doesn't produce second-hand smoke? The way I look at it is this:
If you wanna poison the shit out of your own body, hey more power to you; if you already know the risks and just don't give a shit, having me or anybody else pound "ethics" into your head ain't gonna change a damn thing. But I don't want that shit in my body, and there is no reason why I should have to have that shit in my body if I don't want it there, just because it may 'inconvenience' somebody by making them walk 20 feet outside for 5-10 minutes.

However, I'm not an unreasonable guy, and if it's outside and away from where I'm at, then smoke to your heart's content. In fact a good majority of people I know that smoke are chill enough that they'll do their best to keep the smoke from coming near me, so I'm cool with that. Really, this boils down to a simple form of common courtesy on both sides, which should be practiced without the need for legislation.
Too bad that common sense and courtesy are now being legislated and the freedom of choice is about as free as a man on death row....

Not sure how to interact with transgender people? Read this:
http://tranifesto.com/transgender-fa...-trans-people/
Check out my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jessica-macarthur

"I have an easier time taking BabyMetal seriously than the vast majority of death and black metal that gets posted here." -wat

"You can fuck anything....how do you think evolution happened?" - mcd
tacotiklah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Yeah, I'm with whoever says this SHOULD be a matter of common sense on behalf of both non smokers and smokers. People can hardly smoke anywhere anymore.

Man, it's like there are still people out there who don't know smoking is bad for them! /sarcasm.

If you have to walk through someone's second hand, OH MY GOD, HOW HORRIBLE. Half a bloody second of a smell you find unpleasant. Let's all bow down to YOU, shouldn't we? I guess smoking bans in restaurants make a bit of sense, if people hating the smell of cigarettes is hurting business then it would be wise of that restaurant to ban smoking. Still, it probably should have been up to the damn restaurant to issue the ban, not the government. You can't smoke in bars which is total bullshit; that's part of the atmosphere. People order a pint and brood over it while having a cigarette.

I wish people would .... off about smoking. Yeah, it's a serious detriment to one's health, we're all aware of that. A smoker who blows smoke in people's faces is an asshole, a non smoker who pushes their agenda on smokers is also an asshole. Why do assholes always gain favor over common sense?
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
^+1
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
I'm a non smoker, but thats just silly.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
SS Contributor

Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesimo View Post
Why should I have to breathe the exhaust coming out of someone's Hummer? Or better yet, why should I have to breathe in all the shit factories spew into the air?

Your argument is just as bad as anyone else saying, "I find your appearance revolting, why should I be subject to it?". Or even, "I'm offended by your language and shouldn't have to hear it, I insist you speak differently!".

Speaking on the first one, what about when certain politicians suggested laws banning the low pants that the hip hoppers wear? While I too think it's ugly and plain retarded I'm not for any law banning it. They're not nude from the waist down.

Rev.

Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
SS Contributor

Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customisbetter View Post
Im down. We have a no smoking policy at my college and the perimeter is a TUNNEL of smoke. If they can't smoke on the sidewalk, that means i can get to my destination without my eyes watering.
I can more agree with no loitering in that instance. Yeah a bunch of smokers all standing around in the same area is a nuisance, no argument there. But geez, if someone were *walking* down the block on the way to somewhere why can't that person smoke? This country is really become a bunch of Nazi's.

For the record, I don't smoke cigarettes but used to over 15 years ago and was smart to quit. I do however occasionally smoke cigars but in the privacy of my own backyard.

Rev.

Unread 01-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
... This country is really become a bunch of Nazi's.

Rev.
I'm sorry but your argument is now invalid.

Unread 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Awesome news, if smokers were only having an effect on themselves it would be a different story. As far as exhaust goes I suggest we resort to horse travel, we should all know how well that works in cities. It would prevent idiots sitting on a bench beside me and lighting up from getting punched in the face too.

Rev, appearance and language fall in a different class as they do not effect ones health. Exhaust is much less toxic than cigarette smoke also.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Rev, appearance and language fall in a different class as they do not effect ones health. Exhaust is much less toxic than cigarette smoke also.
Oh horshshit. Sure in a closed space it's bad, and I agree with the public indoor bans (mostly), but don't try to play that a little second hand smoke while passing by outside is going to destroy your health and longevity. If humans we're so feeble we wouldn't have lasted this long. As for emissions, you do know that cancer is rampant in this country right? And that most aren't even tied to something like smoking, so where's it all booming from? How do you know for certain that vehicle or factory emissions haven't caused cancer for anyone?

Rev.

Unread 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
If you have asthma or allergies it could be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsguitarist View Post
I dont like breathing in exhaust fumes from cars when Im walking through a parking garage. When will that be illegal?
Parking garages are FOR CARS, which produce exhaust. Restaraunts and streets are not FOR SMOKING. So what you're saying is really invalid.
Quote:
1. Why should I have to breathe the exhaust coming out of someone's Hummer? Or better yet, why should I have to breathe in all the shit factories spew into the air?

2. Your argument is just as bad as anyone else saying, "I find your appearance revolting, why should I be subject to it?". Or even, "I'm offended by your language and shouldn't have to hear it, I insist you speak differently!".

3. Speaking on the first one, what about when certain politicians suggested laws banning the low pants that the hip hoppers wear? While I too think it's ugly and plain retarded I'm not for any law banning it. They're not nude from the waist down.

Rev.
1. The first one I don't see how it applies as people 'need' cars to be able to travel long distances, whereas smoking isn't really a necessity (neither are cars really, but they could be considered one whereas smoking wouldn't be). The second point I agree with you wholeheartedly.

2. Someone being ugly or speaking a different language hasn't been linked to health risks like cancer, whereas smoking has, and people have every right to avoid something that someone else is choosing to do that has some possibility of passing on health risks to them.

3. Agreed, it is stupid, but it's not going to hurt anyone.

While this kind of stuff wouldn't be necessary/be happening if everyone would just act like a goddamn adult, I know that there are both nonsmokers who will go out of their way to proselytize smokers and smokers who are so indignant about their right to smoke wherever, whenever, around whomever they want that ".... everybody else". Since smoking does have the -rep of being associated with health risks, the overly zealous nonsmokers will prevail over the overzealous smokers everytime, which will affect the not-so-zealous smokers and nonsmokers and lead to stuff like this.

I don't really see what the big deal is honestly, I mean, public drunkenness has laws against it as well, and if marijuana is ever fully legalized/decriminalized it'll have public intoxication be illegal for it as well, why should cigarettes be any different? And yes I know cigarettes don't have as strong of an inebriating effect on people as the other two, but it's still a drug, and if you choose to do it there will be legal restrictions.

Also, I want to point out that I would bet almost anything that no argument in this thread will go anywhere. People seem to be deadfast in their feelings against or for smoking for the most part.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
SS Contributor

In regard to the "we need vehicles" argument, which I hear often - sure we do, but do they need to still be using old fossil fuel technology that emits hazardous exhaust? I haven't seen much pioneering till recently and we know the oil companies worked hard to stifle new energy in the past. Then there are large corporations paying off lawmakers so they can cheaply dump or burn off waste into the environment. So is that a necessity? Also, I agree transportion is important, but is it necessary for someone to get into a large SUV to drive three blocks to the store, or to work when they can take mass transit?

About my Nazi comment which "offended" someone, when you take away someone's right to enjoy themselves with a nanny "greater good" goal that does seem extremely controlling. Id been a skateboarder for years. Do you have any idea how many cities and towns have banned skateboarding? Not even just the tricksters but just riding one for transport. Rules in this country are only getting stricter and more absurd.

Rev.

Unread 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #18
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesimo View Post
The same reason you have to deal w/ every other aspect of living near and with other human beings....

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
The same reason you have to deal w/ every other aspect of living near and with other human beings....
100% agreed.

Unread 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As a smoker, I know we're going to lose. It's just a matter of time, now. If the ever increasing taxes on tobacco purchases don't deter everyone at some point, the ever increasing legislation against smoking anywhere in public will. Still, smoking cigarettes is NOT illegal for anyone over the age of 18, so I think if they want to legislate, they need to make up their ....ing minds. It's either legal and they need to leave us alone like they do all the alcoholics in this country, or it's illegal and they need to make it so to squash all this needless grey area. I don't care either way; I just want a clear-cut decision so I can get on with my life like everybody else.

I gotta say that stuff like this legislation really fries me, though. I could concede to a point when it came to restaurants, but telling people they can't even smoke OUTSIDE in OPEN AIR is well over the line IMHO.

Mind you, I'm the guy who goes out of his way to keep his smoke away from others. When I see kids or a couple of parents pushing a baby cart walking towards me on a sidewalk while I'm smoking, I cup my cigarette behind my hand so the kids can't see it, and step as far away as I physically can without stepping out into traffic to make sure I'm keeping the smoke away from them. This isn't something I think about; it's just a natural reflex. I don't like second hand smoke any more than the next guy, so I try to not subject others to it. Further, I go out of my way to make sure that if there's a trash can anywhere in the vicinity, my cigarette butts go in it, as opposed to haphazardly flicked wherever they land.

I see it this issue the same way I see most social issues; if something bothers you, just avoid it! Done and done! It's that simple, and legislation is completely unnecessary.

You (the proverbial 'you', not anyone specific) don't NEED to walk through people's smoke. I'm sorry, but you don't, and there's no argument you can make to convince me otherwise. There is plenty of open, smokeless air anywhere within a 10 foot radius of a smoker standing outside. Just ....ing walk around them, and the problem is solved.

And don't give me this 'I shouldn't need to walk around them' nonsense. They shouldn't need to be designated to a special smoking area either, but guess what? Shit happens.

"And over here, our bass player, the Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man with No Tan, please say hello to Death himself, the Grim Reaper!"
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #21
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
In regard to the "we need vehicles" argument, which I hear often - sure we do, but do they need to still be using old fossil fuel technology that emits hazardous exhaust? I haven't seen much pioneering till recently and we know the oil companies worked hard to stifle new energy in the past. Then there are large corporations paying off lawmakers so they can cheaply dump or burn off waste into the environment. So is that a necessity? Also, I agree transportion is important, but is it necessary for someone to get into a large SUV to drive three blocks to the store, or to work when they can take mass transit?
Rev.
All true, but working to improve the energy sources we utilize is a completely different argument (and one that I can see we'd be on the same side of).
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #22
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:

About my Nazi comment which "offended" someone, when you take away someone's right to enjoy themselves with a nanny "greater good" goal that does seem extremely controlling. Id been a skateboarder for years. Do you have any idea how many cities and towns have banned skateboarding? Not even just the tricksters but just riding one for transport. Rules in this country are only getting stricter and more absurd.

Rev.
Not offending me brohan.

About the skateboarding thing, that sucks. Its a perfect example of a few turds ruining the pool for everyone.

However, skateboarding is not smoking...

Unread 01-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:

Both can be harmful to the user...

Very different I know...

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #24
SS Contributor

Quote:
Doesn't need to be to make a valid point. Contrary to how you me think or feel this discussion is really about control, controlling what others are allowed to do because of a select mindset. In that regard the control in outlawing skateboarding is completely relevant. It's something someone else wants to do that some other person considers dangerous or damaging - whether to person or property.

Rev.

Unread 01-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #25
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Just out of curiosity, do they have a X-Games type smoking competition?