homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #26
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
Also, yoga is 'spooky'? The symbol of your belief is a man being CRUCIFIED TO DEATH. You parada it everywhere like it's normality. Thats not spooky? I mean, read the Bible, that book is ....ed up.

Apologies to any Christians, but that book has some dark shit.
Christianity =

Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #27
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is yoga incompatible with Christianity?

Only if one believes that the Bible is correct in spiritual teaching.

The most popular form of yoga in the US, hatha yoga, is based on the Yajur Veda, which contains various Hindu rituals, including altar construction and sacrifices as practiced by the Hindu faith.

So, if one has a choice between a fitness regimen which is purely physical (Pilates, for example) or one which is definitely based on a polytheistic practice, which one would you say is incompatible with Christianity?

Even if one argues, "Yes, but that part is forgotten and is no longer important," I can assure you that the vedic mindset is irrevocably embedded in the core thinking and the practices of yoga. Even the practice of transcendental meditation, in order to pierce the veil of illusion, discards as illusion the core message of Christianity, in that Jesus came to save us; that core belief of the Christians is, according to the true goal of transcendental meditation, just a hoax.

I'm not arguing that it is good or bad to hold to any faith over any other, especially since I think they're all equally without actual evidence, but it is definitely wrong to say yoga and Christianity are compatible.

----

Incidentally, I have contact with a great many people at my job, trying to convince me that "vedic science" should be accepted as genuine science due to its age, even though it failed the trials at the NIH when they were examining alternative medicine. These people were convinced not only that the science was good, but that the spiritual teachings were also correct. Having met many sincere yoga teachers who similarly believed strongly in yoga's teachings, and then made the leap to it being a valid "spiritual science," it would be wrong to say that the majority of yoga teachers didn't associate it with spirituality.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #28
SS.org Regular

possumkiller is a name known to allpossumkiller is a name known to allpossumkiller is a name known to allpossumkiller is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywozere View Post
I think that's a pretty closed minded approach to take.

You are right. I really shouldnt be that closed minded about it. Nowadays I just cant help it. I live right in the middle of southern christian bible belt redneck hell. I was raised in a pentecostal church but I went to a few others as well. I can tell you from my personal experiences how closed minded and judgemental these people are. When I was a kid I was only allowed to listen to christian music. I wasnt allowed to play my Jesus Freak CD from DC Talk because they werent really chrisitians because they play heavy metal.

My whole point about religion is that its all about the mindset. There are very intelligent people quite capable of critical thinking and compassion who are religious. I havent met any of them yet but I hear they exist. People who arent brainwashed and making their christian "commitment" out of fear.

I do believe in god. I try not to label it god because I dont want to be associated with any kind of religion. I believe in an all powerful force in the universe. I try to be very open minded about everything. Its just very difficult to be open minded with people who are so closed minded lol.

sol niger 333: "I'm guessing a dildo was used. A truth dildo."
possumkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #29
: roll :

techcoreriffman is just really nicetechcoreriffman is just really nice
My mom's priest is one of the highly educated and open-minded christians that you guys are talking about. He is amazingly accepting and non-judgemental. He accepts the fact that I'm agnostic/atheist better than anyone else in our whole town, because he is respectful and actually listens.

My mother, on the other hand, told her sister last night that she wants to exorcise me.

[SevenStringSam] 8:31 pm: im literally gunna shove an ice dildo up my ass

[Necris] 4:55 pm: Its like going balls deep on a whale when its rectum is made of cactuses.
[Necris] 4:56 pm: Another song title.
techcoreriffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #30
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
Apologies to any Christians, but that book has some dark shit.
There's a part in there about Judas splitting in half and his gut falling out, and for shits and giggle, we checked my sister's "Bible for little kids" that has sesame street characters in it or some shit and that line is in there verbatim.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #31
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by possumkiller View Post
I believe in an all powerful force in the universe.

You and Yoda both.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #32
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
= to ?
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #33
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Yoga is spooky. Being able to raise body temperature through pure meditation? ....ing Bene Gesserits, I tells ya!
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #34
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I remember looking at the MEshuggah Myspace a long time ago. This was the top comment...

I seriously lol'd all ....in day.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #35
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^ Where does the person mention Christianity?
I went to a pretty strict religious school, and there was a book in the school library supposedly about how the devil uses rock bands to get his message to young people, at least according to the preface of the book. The actual text, however, was merely about all of the crazy stuff rock bands did in the 70's. With chapters about what Led Zeppelin did with red snapper and groupies in their dressing rooms, it was one of the most popular books at the library for all of the wrong reasons.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #36
:O

Cabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to behold
I think those schools that mix education with religion are kind of scary, for lack of a better word. It's nothing personal, but every time I read or hear about a Catholic school or something along the lines of it the entire school seems to wallow in ignorance and stupidity. I'm however not saying the students that come from those schools come out as stupid or ignorant.

I believe religion should be taught on one's own. That is, if you have an interest in Christianity, read the Bible on your own time, don't have some random guy with a religious 'status' tell you how you should look at it.
Cabinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #37
SS.org Regular

Mindcrime1204 is just really niceMindcrime1204 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I went to a Catholic school for almost 10 yrs, 1990-1999. By the time I was in 6th grade I already had teachers calling my home and sending notes home with me because they were worried I listened to so much heavy metal and started growing my hair longer. I managed to find some more people who were into metal like me, and sure enough teachers thought we were in or about to start some satanic cult.

By the time I was in my last year there, I had so many people listening to metal and wearing band shirts on free dress day. I even got a lot of my friends there to start wearing black boots instead of those stupid catholic school-boy shoes. When 8th grade graduation eventually came around in 99, it was me and my friends who convinced the teachers andour other classmates to use an Iron Maiden song (Wasted Years) as our class song.

Anyways, I thought it was pretty awesome that I eventually convinced my teachers and a few nuns there that listening to metal music doesn't make you a bad person.

I dunno where yoga fits in in all of this tho...

WARNING: This guitar does not float! DO NOT attempt to surf on it!
Mindcrime1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #38
SS.org Regular

Thaeon is just really niceThaeon is just really nice
I was raised as a conservative christian as well. My father was a youth minister. My mom just wanted to be involved in my church... She was actually the person really guided by fear. She was really overbearing and wouldn't let my father do anything as a father. Somehow she turned her being overbearing into my father not caring enough and convinced me that that was the case as well. Anyway, all she tried to teach me was Jesus good, other stuff bad. It even got to the point that when I got lazy my mom would try to do my school work for me. Needless to say, this is one of the really bad examples...

After a divorce and some repairing between my father and I, he's become VERY accepting of my choice in beliefs.
Thaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #39
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime1204 View Post
I went to a Catholic school for almost 10 yrs, 1990-1999. By the time I was in 6th grade I already had teachers calling my home and sending notes home with me because they were worried I listened to so much heavy metal and started growing my hair longer. I managed to find some more people who were into metal like me, and sure enough teachers thought we were in or about to start some satanic cult.

By the time I was in my last year there, I had so many people listening to metal and wearing band shirts on free dress day. I even got a lot of my friends there to start wearing black boots instead of those stupid catholic school-boy shoes. When 8th grade graduation eventually came around in 99, it was me and my friends who convinced the teachers andour other classmates to use an Iron Maiden song (Wasted Years) as our class song.

Anyways, I thought it was pretty awesome that I eventually convinced my teachers and a few nuns there that listening to metal music doesn't make you a bad person.

I dunno where yoga fits in in all of this tho...
Hot damn, you went to a better catholic school than I did My experience was far, far less open than that.
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #40
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinet View Post
I think those schools that mix education with religion are kind of scary, for lack of a better word. It's nothing personal, but every time I read or hear about a Catholic school or something along the lines of it the entire school seems to wallow in ignorance and stupidity. I'm however not saying the students that come from those schools come out as stupid or ignorant.

I believe religion should be taught on one's own. That is, if you have an interest in Christianity, read the Bible on your own time, don't have some random guy with a religious 'status' tell you how you should look at it.
There's one up the road from me, but it's not technically a "private" school, so it's just a kind of shit looking place with crosses at the end of every hallway and above just about every room... looks like the set for a ....ing horror movie.
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #41
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I think the reason a lot of people have problems with religion now is because their parents (foolishly) tried to force it on them when they were young by enrolling them in religious schools. In my opinion that's one of the stupidest things you could do. It "shelters" them from the real world. It's better to have kids just learn about their religion on their own and interpret it as they learn more and more.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #42
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
You make a good point.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #43
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostjan View Post
^ Where does the person mention Christianity?
I went to a pretty strict religious school, and there was a book in the school library supposedly about how the devil uses rock bands to get his message to young people, at least according to the preface of the book. The actual text, however, was merely about all of the crazy stuff rock bands did in the 70's. With chapters about what Led Zeppelin did with red snapper and groupies in their dressing rooms, it was one of the most popular books at the library for all of the wrong reasons.
10th word. My quote was off by a bit

Also I was in a Christian school from K-2, and Catholic schools from 3-12. Fun times.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote