homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Politics & Current Events
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Politics & Current Events Discussion on political views, the war and world events here. Strictly moderated forum, so use your better judgement when posting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Banned

Wolfenstein is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Serious Social and Political Issue !

Is talking about Politics a sure fire way to ruin a Dinner Party?
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Banned

CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Id guess so.. because 9/10 times theres gonna be someone that doesnt have the same views and go off on an hour long rant about how your political views are wrong..
Just sayin
CooleyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm gona say no, as long as the people you're talking too aren't arseholes about their political views and decide to go on a several hour long rant about how unpatriotic you must be before just giving up and shooting you because clearly you're a terrorist
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Banned

CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/

This actually made me pretty hard.
At the same time its sad because its true.
Pretty much everyone that goes against Obama gets called a terrorist..
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Banned

Wolfenstein is a jewel in the rough
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyJr View Post

This actually made me pretty hard.
At the same time its sad because its true.
Sounds like more EXTREME RADICALISED views from a certain Yahoo!Chat guitarist to me =/

hahaha
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Banned

Well Mark.. If you watched American news.. you'd see what I'm talking about.
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
I Am the Table

renzoip is a glorious beacon of lightrenzoip is a glorious beacon of lightrenzoip is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, it all depends on who you are talking to. In my family for example, everyone has different political views and yet, we do talk about politics in almost everyone of our family gatherings. In the end nobody takes things personal. I would hardly bring up a topic like that with people who I don't think I could have an intelligent discussion with.

DARK LEGACY - Progressive Power Metal from South FL!
renzoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Quote:

It was the same situation with Bush though. It must be an American thing
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Banned

Yeah... It's sad. I honestly don't like my own country.. OMGZORZ!! IZ A TEARORIZT!!!
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
droooooneeeeeeeee!

phaeded0ut is just really nicephaeded0ut is just really nice
Hate to say it, but it depends upon the crowd. Some folks can talk about politics without getting all hot and bothered about it, and other folks instantly turn into Mt. Vesuvius. Religion can be another string of topics that might cause folks to behave less than kindly, too. Again, it depends...

"All the World's a stage, ... and the rest is Vaudeville..."
-Allan Moore
phaeded0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Hollowman is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Yeah... It's sad. I honestly don't like my own country.. OMGZORZ!! IZ A TEARORIZT!!!
Or is it more that you Dislike your Government? I Love my Country, but I hate my Government.
Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
One Among the Fence

xXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I think that tends to be a regional thing with Obama.
I am in the South and am an Obama supporter and I get accused of being a terrorist as well as many other things that I will not mention here.

I think it is just the American idea that there has to be a bad guy and no matter what the issue is, if you disagree with the person/group you are talking with you automatically become said bad guy. Sad but in my experiences that has been the case.

Stash the trash, beautify SS.org. Do your part to keep this place great. To learn more about the forum rules; CLICK HERE.

"You are the music, while the music lasts"- T.S. Eliot
xXxPriestessxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
Huge nerd

RenegadeDave is a splendid one to beholdRenegadeDave is a splendid one to beholdRenegadeDave is a splendid one to beholdRenegadeDave is a splendid one to beholdRenegadeDave is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Politics have replaced Religion as the dinner ruiner, because in all honesty Politics has moved in next to religion. Much like in Religion, "all other Religions but mine are wrong" is interchangeable with political points of view, and no amount of information to the contrary will sway them.

"No it doesn't surprise me you know origami. You know origami and play speed metal on 7 string guitars."

- my former boss
RenegadeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
My opinion is that it is your adult responsibility to discuss and assess the world around you. So much anecdotal information has to come to me from friends willing to share their experiences, some of which relates to politics.

Sharing your point of view and observing the right to free speech are important freedoms that, I feel, should be expressed as freely as possible.

So far as avoiding offence to others, the key is not to force your opinions on others and to politely erect stop signs when others overstep your personal boundaries.

In a world where the media claims to control free thought, sharing views with others has become far more important, in order to fill in the blanks the media has omitted, whilst avoiding/cushioning shock revelations from your research/learning/experience.

I've studied history as my recreation for years now, and though I don't claim to be an expert, I would expect that on certain topics, I know things people whose primary information resource is television do not. I try to share this compassionately to those that ask or express an interest, and in return I learn to share knowledge more evocatively and to be less reactionary.

The key with these topics (religion and politics) is when you think: "I know what is best for this person..." that is the time to be quiet. I do not assume the right to change people from their paths. The only right I assume is to remind people they live in an increasingly complex world and that they should at least be aware of it to the extent at which they are comfortable; the less or more should be their decision.

These are powerful topics which, I think, should be freely discussed, whilst holding this thought in focus; respect works both ways.

Good luck!
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
I thought it was fairly standard etiquette that A) religion and B) politics have no place in the workplace, or at the dinner table. That's how I was raised, anyway.
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-ZenGtr- View Post
My opinion is that it is your adult responsibility to discuss and assess the world around you. So much anecdotal information has to come to me from friends willing to share their experiences, some of which relates to politics.

Sharing your point of view and observing the right to free speech are important freedoms that, I feel, should be expressed as freely as possible.

So far as avoiding offence to others, the key is not to force your opinions on others and to politely erect stop signs when others overstep your personal boundaries.

In a world where the media claims to control free thought, sharing views with others has become far more important, in order to fill in the blanks the media has omitted, whilst avoiding/cushioning shock revelations from your research/learning/experience.

I've studied history as my recreation for years now, and though I don't claim to be an expert, I would expect that on certain topics, I know things people whose primary information resource is television do not. I try to share this compassionately to those that ask or express an interest, and in return I learn to share knowledge more evocatively and to be less reactionary.

The key with these topics (religion and politics) is when you think: "I know what is best for this person..." that is the time to be quiet. I do not assume the right to change people from their paths. The only right I assume is to remind people they live in an increasingly complex world and that they should at least be aware of it to the extent at which they are comfortable; the less or more should be their decision.

These are powerful topics which, I think, should be freely discussed, whilst holding this thought in focus; respect works both ways.

Good luck!
I just wanted to publicly thank you for this post.

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Honestly, everyone one here should take an interest in what happens with government and how they work, at least in U.S. have seemed to forgot that we put them there by passing the bill's that seem "damaging" to our Constitution.

Last edited by Hollowman; 11-11-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #18
Huge nerd

RenegadeDave is a splendid one to beholdRenegadeDave is a splendid one to beholdRenegadeDave is a splendid one to beholdRenegadeDave is a splendid one to beholdRenegadeDave is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman666 View Post
Honestly, everyone one here should take an interest in what happens with government and how they work, at least in U.S. have seemed to forgot that we put them there by passing the bill's that seem "damaging" to our Constitution.
But therein lies the rub, some people don't care about the Constitution.

"No it doesn't surprise me you know origami. You know origami and play speed metal on 7 string guitars."

- my former boss
RenegadeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

yep it's a shame, People get so wrapped up in "stuff" that they don't see the big picture of whats going on in the world or what kind of world they'll/we'll leave our Children.
Unread 11-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #20
Hard-On For Freedom™

JBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himself
If your dinner party guests are closed-minded enough to prevent a useful discussion from causing discomfort, get dinner party guests who aren't total ....heads. Problem solved.

Jeff
JBroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #21
il Brutto

Setnakt is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
I thought it was fairly standard etiquette that A) religion and B) politics have no place in the workplace, or at the dinner table. That's how I was raised, anyway.
We could just as easily say that religion and politics have no place at all.

The problem is that these issues are scandalized by the corporate media so that no one wants to talk about them. This is how the media monopolizes important subjects.
Setnakt is offline   Reply With Quote