homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-09-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

krajew4 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ibanez S320 - ZR Tremolo problem

Hi, I recently bought new Ibanez S320 and I tried to set up the zr tremolo properly cause strings were detuning after I used whammy bar for a moment. I downloaded the Ibanez manual open back place where the springs are placed.
Ibanez S320 WK I'm taking about first photo on the left, where you can adjust Spring Tension. When I was rolling it to lower and lower tension the thing that goes up and down while adjusting spring tension just fall of that bolt that keeps the thing going up and down. I belive I descibe my problem clearly, and I'm asking for your help, cause now when I roll the spring tension knob up it is useless as the thing fall of the bolt. What should I do?

( f*** me I've just realised that this forum is only about 7-strings guitars, i'm just kind'a sleepy you know sorry, I've reported this thread to delete )
krajew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Overlord of Music

screamindaemon has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are plenty of non-seven players here. and those that play seven, usually have a six kicking around too. Don't go anywhere. We heart newbies. They are ever so tasty

Having said all that, I do not believe you have described your question clearly. You say your lower your tension with the wheel, something is falling off... is that the zero point rod? The thing that returns the bridge to it's proper floating point?

If that is falling off then your spring tension is likely way, way too high, as you have pulled the springs and the trem block so far back that the zero point rod has no tension from the bridge block to keep it up right.
Failing that, you could have stretched the zero point rod springs passed their breaking point, and they don't have the tension left in them to pull the rod back into it's cavity. you will need new springs in this case.

Did I answer your question, or am I still off?
screamindaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

here is the pfoto of my situation: http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/292/image1ne.jpg when I adjust spring tension up (with the wheel), this thing (that metal block) should go up and up. In my case it is like the block was below minimum value of spring tension and as I see it fell from the bolt. I don't know if I should remove all bridge then correct this and then set it up whole once again. I can't do that I think this is my first guitar with tremolo and I have it for 5 days :P
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Overlord of Music

Oh!
That is much different than what I first thought.

first of all, if this is your first guitar, try taking it back for a refund, or a new guitar. Than tension block should not be falling off, and if you are the one that loosened it too much... well, try anyways

If you can't take it back, don't panic. Remove the 2 side springs from the tension block. They just slide off. Then push the tension block back onto the screw bolt, and turn the tension wheel until the block is screwed back onto the bolt. Then reattach the side springs.
Those springs are strong, so you should get a pair of needle nose pliers and use that tool to loop the springs back over the side rods of the tension block.

Hope this helps.
Unread 09-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

Thanks for reply I have tried what you said already, the problem is two side strings are not gonna slide off, using all my mighty-power-rangers force they are still on the block. Also this is my in general fourth guitar, and I've been playing for 6 years now Fact is I never ever had money to buy good new guitar, I've been playing on the Crafter Cruiser RG600 till now I'm going to the (I don't know what it is called) guitar-craft-man, I explained him the problem and he said it is easy, I just don't want to do it for the first time bymyself cause I can damage the bridge and all the guitar worse than it is know :P Once again thx for help
Unread 09-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Overlord of Music

I have the ZR bridge. I'll take a look at it when I get home then.

Perhaps you are using the wrong power ranger?
I know the green guy was a bad ass. Got all the girls...

God I can't believe I can remember that...

Ok, here is what I did.

I had to remove the black springs which connect to the Zero Point Bar (the black ones on the far outside). Then I had to remove the tension spring that connect to the bridge block. They are ....ing strong suckers. bring a friend to help... But it is possible.

Also, I have no clue how you managed to unscrew the tension block so much so that it fell of, as there is a little metal tab that loops on the end of the tension bolt... I can't imagine you unscrewing the tension block past that without knowing what was happening

Last edited by screamindaemon; 09-09-2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 09-10-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

I don't belive I'm the only person on the earth who got this problem. I belive this is a common problem, you know, if it was locked, and I couldn't unscrew it below minimum, then I would never do that ;P Point is when something is "doingable" then someone must did it! I was me ;P you know it is also true, that with the plate being screwed in on the back there is not so much you can see. You see only the scale of spring tension, the metal block and the wheel And it is not so obvious, I think, where is the minimum point where the spring tension block can go, as a little movement of the wheel is really important. So it just fell off :/ F*** I'm really afraid that I can't f*** u* the guitar if I want repair it bymyself, I spent all the money I earned, good thing I didn't sell by previous guitar and I still have an instrument to play Thanks for instructions, I am going to guitar-crafts-man on this Saturday, I described him the problem, he said he would do it for 10$. I would better pay this instead of messing up with guitar when I'm not sure what I'm doing and my talent of destroying things

Ps. blblblbllblblblbblbllbbl ;>