homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Sevenator/Emo Killer

AsIAm666 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile New here, need new 7 pickups...

Hey, I'm new here and I'm in need of some new 7 string humbuckers for my kick ass Carvin DC727C(seen in my sig) . I'm looking for kind of a Vai/Petrucci sound and I currently have a Marshall AVT20 but I'll most likely be buying the Carvin V3 sometime soon. The top is quilted maple, the body is alder, the neck is maple/koa, the board is ebony and the pickups are standard C26s. So far, I've been told that the Evo7 in the bridge and the Air Norton in the neck should suit me but I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions. Thanks a lot, Marc

Signature Removed - Image exceeds 300 px by 100 px
AsIAm666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
just another hairy viking

thepunisher is on a distinguished road
no clue about the evo, but the seymour duncan jazz kicks some ass, more so than air norton.

it's true there were better ones that led their people
it's true there were better ones to lead their country
it's true there were better ones who cared for this world
but who are we to change
-unearth
thepunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
that guy

Dylan7620 is just really niceDylan7620 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
being that the body woods are totally differnt than what eith vai or JP plays its going to be a but difficult to guide you towards that sound. both of them have used blaze pickups in their sevens. JP has messed around with other combos of pups but all the pickups in his customs are pretty similar to the blaze.(as from what i've been told) oh, by the way i'm referring to his ibanez days specificly.

"are there gonna be snacks? i heard there were gonna be snacks."
Dylan7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #4

yea, pretty much it might be better to say what sort of gain you use normally, and the wood of the guitar, and the sound you want, and then we can help you more.

but who are we to change
-unearth
Unread 01-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
Divinitus Infallibilis
Site Contributor

Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.Digital Black is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Seven String Pickup Guide

Born of Fire//--\\ Consumed by it
Divinitus Infallibilis

Digital Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Welcome Marc, good to have you.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

emux2 is a jewel in the rough
I have been told lately that the Tone Zone 7 should sound good in alder but have not tried it yet. one thing I did to my carvin NT7 home built that made a huge difference was to enlarge the hole in the B string sperzel to .074" to make room for a .070" B string. Since the guitar is 25.5" scale I found that the smaller B string seemed to flabby for me and the sound was kind of mushy. Now it sounds and feels tight and definded. I may still put a Tone Zone in it though but wanted to give the cavin pickups a chance with the thicker B string before changing pickups.
emux2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Sevenator/Emo Killer

Quote:
yea, pretty much it might be better to say what sort of gain you use normally, and the wood of the guitar, and the sound you want, and then we can help you more.
I guess mostly with my 7 in distortion I have it anywhere from 9:00 to max. It depends on what I'm playing. I use it for clean stuff too, mainly jazz stuff. For the woods and the sound I want, look in my first post. This is mainly my Prog/Metal/Hard Rock guitar. But Versatility would be great. Thanks again, Marc

Unread 01-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #9

the jazz from sd will get you a good range for a neck pup. i have alder body maple rosewood throughneck on mine, and it gets me the best clean ive ever played. its not to bad on distortion, although, not a heavy distortion pickup.

but who are we to change
-unearth
Unread 01-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #10
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepunisher
the jazz from sd will get you a good range for a neck pup. i have alder body maple rosewood throughneck on mine, and it gets me the best clean ive ever played. its not to bad on distortion, although, not a heavy distortion pickup.
It's my neck pickup on my main 7 string. It's smooth and singing under distortion, and grean clean - especially with a JB7 in the bridge. For the tone you're looking for, though, I think a Duncan Custom might work better with those woods...
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #11
Sevenator/Emo Killer

Anyone else?

Unread 01-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #12
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth000
+1

it's there for a reason

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #13
Sevenator/Emo Killer

I know. I read everything there but not a lot of the guitars that people replaced the pickups in had the same wood as my Carvin. Thats why I'm asking specifically for my woods.

Unread 01-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #14
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
ahh, gotcha

well, when you get some new pickups in and have played on them for a while, post in that thread about your old ones, the new ones, and why you switched. that'd rock

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote