homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
To all you A8 Custom guys

Holy shit, were you ever right.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hmm. OK, I guess I'll be hearing this on Thursday...

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Well, I just changed the strings on the V, so I don't want to play it before the show. Suffice to say the darkness and mud are gone. Like, way gone. Into next ....ing week.

Plus, I'm bringing the Sii-7 Thursday, since I'm having so much damn fun playing it.

Noodles
kxksales@gmail.com
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Is it easy to change a magnet?
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
how high is the output on it? That's my only reservation about getting the custom and putting he A8 in it...I like my pickups hot

That SII-7 has the X2N in it right? Can you compare the outputs?

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbloth View Post
Piece of cake. I had enough lead on my bridge pickup that I could do it without having to desolder the pickup from the guitar. You just have to pop off the baseplate, pull out the old pickup, and put the new one in. Just make sure that you keep the same polarity.

Noodles
kxksales@gmail.com
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-EJ915 View Post
how high is the output on it? That's my only reservation about getting the custom and putting he A8 in it...I like my pickups hot.
The Custom is known for being hot. It may not be as hot with the A8 as the ceramic, but it is still really hot. Not X2N hot, but to me the X2N sacrifices tone for heat.

Quote:
That SII-7 has the X2N in it right? Can you compare the outputs?
Actually, the Sii-7 has a Wolfetone rewound JB7 in it. Rob shipped it sans pickup, since I knew exactly what I wanted to put into it. The Custom with the A8 is much hotter than the stock JB7, and loads hotter than this.

Noodles
kxksales@gmail.com
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Ahh alright sounds cool, I might pick one up for my H-207 afterall.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbloth View Post
There's a million threads on it, Nick. We've all posted pics and how easy it is a ton of times.

It's very, very easy.

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #10
Chief Officer/RHLC

ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
The only thing that could make it hard, is that sometimes the magnet gets really stuck in the was. even then it only takes a few minutes to do from beginning to end

Reverse Headstocks or Bust

:chris: ALL HEIL THE ADMINISHREDDER!
ibznorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
Chief Officer/RHLC

ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.ibznorange is pretty much the man.
Good stuff isnt it? Im yet to install one in a 7 string, but ive done it to 2 6ers now, and everyone who tries it is consistently happy with the results as far as ive seen

Unread 03-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #12
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
hahah, i've still got an alnico 8 magnet sitting on my shelf that i've yet to put into my sh5 custom.

reason is because i'm not sure if i want to get blackouts for my seven or not, and if i do i'll want to sell the custom, and i'd rather not tamper with something i'm going to sell anyway
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
grumpy old man

scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
Suffice to say the darkness and mud are gone. Like, way gone. Into next ....ing week.
awesome! glad it's working so well for you. i haven't tried A8 in a Custom yet, but in all my bridge DiMarzios, it sounds fantastic--the best of both worlds, great edge and output with the thickness of Alnico. it may be a tiny bit less output than the ceramic, but the difference in mine is so small that it's unnoticable, and the extra thickness and richness and character is totally worth it for me.

i don't own a second Custom 7, so i'm thinking about ordering a magnet-swapped one from the Custom Shop....

_actual time_ : prog/math/metal/???? on myspace
download our EPs free at actual-time.com
scott from _actual time_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #14
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Do it!

I played mine again at rehearsal this week, and i'm still really impressed with it. It's LOUD. Like "i'm gonna have to back it off from the strings more"-loud so it balances better with my JP7 volume-wise. But not so loud that everything just turns to mush. It's still incredibly articulate, and has great definition and punch.

The DC8 is a GREAT pickup.

For me, the only really hair-raising part of the swap was gently prying the coils up in order to get the magnet free from its wax encapsulation. There are fine wires connecting the two coils, and i was VERY nervous about breaking them.

The cool part of the install was seeing the guts of the pickup in a little more detail with the tape wrap removed. I didn't know that they shielded the coils with copper tape. I'm sure my older Duncans don't have this feature. But it's amazing to see the detail and workmanship that go into their products.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #15
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you sure there was any hair raising, darren?

if it's really easy, i may get some alnico V's for my Blaze if i dont like how it sounds.

or sell it for a Custom.. haha.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'm actually really curious to see what a JB with an Alnico 8 might sound like. Hopefully Leon will get a chance to try it out, since he's getting my JB and '59.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #17
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
JBroll put an A8 in a JB and seemed to like it.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #18
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
I'm actually really curious to see what a JB with an Alnico 8 might sound like. Hopefully Leon will get a chance to try it out, since he's getting my JB and '59.
I've been thinking about it, since I have an A8 and a JB sitting around...

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #19
I'm your huckleberry

I have a second one lying around (I don't even know where I got it ), and I was thinking about putting it in the Dean. The Dean so good as is, though.

Noodles
kxksales@gmail.com
Unread 03-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

Toxin is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
where can i buy a8? =)
Toxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #21
Chief Officer/RHLC

You can buy normal sized ones on ebay. For a full size magnet though you have to get them specially cut, and weve done it a few times now. maybe someone has a spare? if not, ill be buying a ton this summer hopefully, maybe you could get in on that order. might not be worth it though since your in russia. Try looking around for someone who cuts magnets over there

Unread 03-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #22
I'm your huckleberry

I'm starting to think that the A8 represents the best compromise for live playing.

I've noticed that pcikups with A5 magenets tend to have a warm, round tone, with lots of singing sustain. On the flip side, everything that makes them great for leads makes them less suitable for rhythm. They're just too muddy and undefined on the low end.

Pickups with ceramics are great for rhythm. They have a very agressive midrange character, with lots of upper midrange bight, delivering a tight bottom end and fierce attack that is perfect for more technical metal rhythm work. Unfortunately, this makes them sound too hard and brittle when playing leads, as the plain strings sound like they are scraping away at your ear drums.

The A8 sits in the middle of this. It still has the clarity of attack and punchy low end, but without the harsh midrange character. I still see merit in A5 and ceramic magnets, but more from a studio stand point. This is defintely going to effect my gear decisions recording, but for live, I think the Custom8-7 is going to work out the best for me.

Noodles
kxksales@gmail.com
Unread 03-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
I have a second one lying around (I don't even know where I got it ), and I was thinking about putting it in the Dean. The Dean so good as is, though.
another A8? *thinks about his JB and his Blaze.. then his wallet *

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #24
I'm your huckleberry

I have no clue when I bought it. I think it might have been one of the extras Scott had lying around, but I thought that was where the first one came from.

Noodles
kxksales@gmail.com
Unread 03-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #25
Chief Officer/RHLC

good job on the mystery magnets dave.
Dude, budda, wed need to get another order together on the a8s anyways. ill be ordering enough for that this summer if scotts willing to take it. You have till june to save