homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
BowToPeppersMessiah

Blood Tempest is a glorious beacon of lightBlood Tempest is a glorious beacon of lightBlood Tempest is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ebony Fretboard Dye

Anyone try their luck with ebony fretboard dye here? I was looking at this due to highly positive reviews. Black Fingerboard Stain at Stewart-MacDonald

Just wondering if you guys have used it or a comparable product. What were your results? Pics if possible.

Do you think it could be used to cover undesirable inlays if it was left over top of the inlays for an extended amount of time? Thanks for the input guys!

Son of Northern Darkness
Blood Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
A couple people on here have done this on rosewood boards. It works well and looks cool. It will not however cover inlays.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've done it. What Steve says, on all counts. ^

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
BowToPeppersMessiah

Blood Tempest is a glorious beacon of lightBlood Tempest is a glorious beacon of lightBlood Tempest is a glorious beacon of light
Awesome. I'm looking at buying some for the soon to be shipped LTD SC607 that I put money down on at DCGL. I just was looking for a way to cover up that scribble inlay they put on the fretboard at the 12th position. Still gonna dye it ebony regardless. Any suggestions about the inlay though?

Son of Northern Darkness
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
new album soon!

Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
buy another guitar that doesn't have some dudes name on the fretboard?

seriously, i think you're stuck with the inlay
Edroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
BowToPeppersMessiah

Just seeing what else was out there on the opinion of the inlay. But, the big issue was the effectiveness of the dye. Which is apparently pretty great from all I've read.

If that damn inlay bothers me when I get it, I will find a way

Son of Northern Darkness
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
new album soon!

Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Tempest View Post

If that damn inlay bothers me when I get it, I will find a way

i would never buy one for that reason alone, but if i HAD to play one, it would be removed on concealed one way or another...

the thing that's annoying about it is that the ESP version has a blank ebony board, with a small signature on the headstock... and a much heftier price tag .
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
BowToPeppersMessiah

Exactly. And the whole SC line is offered in nothing but black this year. So lame. Someone over at the ESP board suggested maybe attempting to cut out the inlay best as possible, filling the spot with a wood filler, then dying everything at once. I dunno how that would look though. I don't think it would come out too good. What do you think?

Son of Northern Darkness
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
new album soon!

soldierkahn removed and filled dot inlays, and dyed his fretboard...

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sev...-tutorial.html

i personally don't think it came out too good. but, that could be due to the dark, blurry pics though .

soldierkahn, any more recent pics of this guitar?
Unread 03-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #10
BowToPeppersMessiah

WOW! Thanks for that link! I think it turned out pretty nice! I didn't think anyone was crazy like me to attempt removing inlays. That's a big help. Due to the ....ed up shape of the scribble on the fretboard, it's definitely going to take some work. I may see if my luthier will be able to do it. Just in fear of screwing it up beyond repair.

Son of Northern Darkness
Unread 03-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
BAD MAMMA-JAMMA

soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edroz View Post
soldierkahn removed and filled dot inlays, and dyed his fretboard...

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sev...-tutorial.html

i personally don't think it came out too good. but, that could be due to the dark, blurry pics though .

soldierkahn, any more recent pics of this guitar?

yeah i do apologize for the quality of the pics. Thats what i get for buyin a cheap cam. but no worries guys. Im currently doin a bunch of mods to that 7620 for a friend. So as soon as its finished guys, ill be using my dads work cam which has a lot better quality photos.

One suggestion tho that i learned along the way. i now use bondo as filler instead of wood filler. The wood filler is really fragile, whereas the bondo is harder than wood when it dries, and it doesnt shrink. So yeah, if youre lookin at gettin SC's sig taken out, i would suggest takin it to a luthier, as he would have better filler for it, not to mention its gonna be a bitch to get that inlay outta there, so be prepared to pay decent dough if he decides to do it....

edit: Thanks Droz for the recognition tho....

Looking for an Ibanez RG970XL

soldierkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
BowToPeppersMessiah

Yup. I definitely wouldn't attempt that on my own. Thanks for the info and advice!

Son of Northern Darkness
Unread 03-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
BAD MAMMA-JAMMA

soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/soldierkahn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
thats what the boards for...

Unread 03-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #14
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Yeah a luthier doing this would use rosewood dust mixed with filler which will blend much better and should also take the dye better to conceal where the work was done when the fretboard gets dyed

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #15
BAD MAMMA-JAMMA

^

Unread 03-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #16
BowToPeppersMessiah

Hmmm interesting. Sounds like a plan. White paint job on body and headstock, black binding on body (because the headstock already has it) and dyed fretboard with professional inlay removal.

I think its gonna look killer.

Son of Northern Darkness
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #17
BAD MAMMA-JAMMA

its definitely not gonna look like a SRC anymore, lol. Cept for that damned pup layout (FTL IMO)

Unread 03-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
BowToPeppersMessiah

LOL. True. I'm not that big of a Deftones fan anyways It's just gonna look like one bad ass Horizon 7. Everyone seems to dislike that pup layout...I don't get it. I likey.

Son of Northern Darkness
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #19
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 134 reviews
If only it was reasonable to get a fretboard replaced...
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #20
BowToPeppersMessiah

Very true. Oh well. Dye will be just fine.

Son of Northern Darkness
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #21
BAD MAMMA-JAMMA

yup. bet you didnt know that ebony has to be dyed as well. just like with every wood, ebony has grain streaks too, so most of the time, when you think "ebony" your thinkin of an already dyed fingerboard....

Unread 03-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #22
BowToPeppersMessiah

Dude. I had no clue. That's a really interesting fact. The wood that gets dyed is still what causes the dark tone of the sound though right?

Son of Northern Darkness
Unread 03-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #23
BAD MAMMA-JAMMA

no no no, lol. IIRC, ebony is more dense than rosewood, equating a brighter tone. so if youre wanting a darker tone, leave the rosewood and just dye it

edit: and the dye doesnt change your tone, only aesthetics

Unread 03-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #24
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^ Yep.

Ebony is almost a cross between maple and rosewood. It's bright in comparison to rosewood.

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #25
BowToPeppersMessiah

Oh ok. Hmmm...but my Agile seems to sound darker than my Hellraiser prototype. Both are mahogany body. The Agile has an ebony board and the Hellraiser has a rosewood.

Son of Northern Darkness