homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
ERG Drummer!

MerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tapping, switching, pushing, and pulling: HELP!

Okay, I've done some more research... more knowledge leads to new questions

I've got the Duncan Designed JB/Jazz... which makes more sense:

- replacing the existing 3-way blade switch with a 5-way/4-pole and coil-splitting each pickup;

- replacing the existing 3-way blade switch with a 5-way/4-pole and combining outer and inner in parallel;

- keeping the existing 3-way blade switch and replacing the tone pot with a push-pull coil-split?

Also, what difference in sound will the first two options achieve? I'm a little confused about that.

Finally, has anyone ordered from guitarelectronics.com, and if so, what's been your experience?

When I order (from wherever), I'll probably replace the cheap pots I have with better ones, and a couple other accessories as well, so I'm open to suggestions about the best way to mod these pickups!

MerlinTKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
I suggest keeping the existing 3-way blade switch and replacing the tone pot with a push-pull coil-split. This comfig will give us much more possibilities
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
here's what i've done to my RG7621 and RG7620:
Wiring Diagram for my RG762x's

i've not ordered anything from that site, but my experiences with StewMac and AllParts have been pretty good.

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
ERG Drummer!

MerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to allMerlinTKD is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
here's what i've done to my RG7621 and RG7620:
Wiring Diagram for my RG762x's

i've not ordered anything from that site, but my experiences with StewMac and AllParts have been pretty good.
Good God, Leon... that's a LOT of options off a 3-way switch!

After the shock fades, the possibilities begin... hmmm... Thanks for the replies! I'll probably replace the switch anyway (cheap electronics in this guitar!), but 3-way/push-pull pot(s) seem the way to go!

Thanks!
Unread 09-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
grumpy old man

scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.scott from _actual time_ is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinTKD View Post
- replacing the existing 3-way blade switch with a 5-way/4-pole and coil-splitting each pickup;
- replacing the existing 3-way blade switch with a 5-way/4-pole and combining outer and inner in parallel;
with the 5-way, you could do _both_ of those in the same setup.
1 - neck, full
2 - neck, coil split
3 - two inner coils
4 - bridge, coil split
5 - bridge, full

i always prefer 5-way switches because they give you many more possible combinations. then i use push/pulls to switch the entire 5-way into a different "mode" with new combinations. for example, you could do positions 2-4 above with the inner coils, then have a push/pull change those positions to use the outer coils.

here is my H/S/H switching scheme, with push/pull down, then up.

_actual time_ : prog/math/metal/???? on myspace
download our EPs free at actual-time.com
scott from _actual time_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
Feral Buddha

stubhead is a glorious beacon of lightstubhead is a glorious beacon of lightstubhead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I find the series/parallel switching to be somewhat more practical than a straight coil tap. A coil tap instantly cuts your output in half; the series-to-parallel drops it a little bit, but it gives you back a lot of the highs that the standard series-wired humbucker "steals", as compared to a single coil. If you're going to drop off one coil from a humbucker, it helps to start with a pretty high-powered one to begin with.
stubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
ERG Drummer!

[action=Merlin]'s head explodes[/action]

Wow.

I'm gonna have to sit and think about this for... ever?

But wow, thanks for all the input!!

Edit: Wed Sept 12
Okay, been thinking... is it possible to wire this on a 5-way switch?

1 - Neck, series
2 - Neck, parallel
3 - Inner coils, series
4 - Bridge, parallel
5 - Bridge, series

Is that possible? If so, I think that's what I'm really looking for... and then maybe add the push-pull for splitting, like so:

1 - Neck, split
2 - North coils, parallel
3 - Outer coils, parallel
4 - South coils, parallel
5 - Bridge, split

Or something like that, I dunno. Any other opinions?

Last edited by MerlinTKD; 09-12-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost