homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Banned

Mongoose has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Evertune Bridge Review.

Evertune =
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

vhtforme is on a distinguished road
I remember seeing the "you can't bend" feature and thinking who would want that? I also remember thinking "ok you don't have to worry about tunning but now your going to have to worry about being on that bending edge". My personal preference (even though I'm not playing one right now) would be a non-floating floyd or a kahler. Good Review.
vhtforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhtforme View Post
I remember seeing the "you can't bend" feature and thinking who would want that? I also remember thinking "ok you don't have to worry about tunning but now your going to have to worry about being on that bending edge". My personal preference (even though I'm not playing one right now) would be a non-floating floyd or a kahler. Good Review.
Thanks. Yes, this bridge is far more complicated than a guitar needs to be.
jedimindfrak82 likes this.
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Rogue intellectual

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Thanks. Yes, this bridge is far more complicated than a guitar needs to be.
Yeah! And what's with all these pickup placement options? Back in my day, our archtops just had a pickup at the neck - if we had a pickup at all! And everyone just plugged into the family radio for amplification! If it was good enough for Charlie Christian, it ought to be good enough for you!
Neko and skeels like this.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
If it was good enough for Charlie Christian, it ought to be good enough for you!
I guess that is why those Gibson Robot Guitars are flying off the shelves, along with every headless guitar.
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Rogue intellectual

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhtforme View Post
I guess that is why those Gibson Robot Guitars are flying off the shelves, along with every headless guitar.
Vintage Steinbergers and Kleins still command high prices in the resale market, and new headless models are pretty widely coveted around here. I see that you're new to the forum, so I'll give you a pass on not knowing the latter. My objection was to the presumed objectivity of Mongoose's statement that the Evertune is "far more complicated than a guitar needs to be." "Needs" for an instrument are subjective.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Excised n anatomised

DarkWolfXV is a jewel in the rough
Meh, I spend 45 mins intonating my normal guitar so I dont see the problem... (And I get that as perfect as possible, plus re-intonating is required like once a year...) I'd rather spend some time in one sitting to set up the instrument than constantly retune the guitar when recording.
wilch, Konfyouzd and mulgreaux like this.

"Dude, that's liking going to some 3rd world whore house. Sure you're getting 12 bodies to choose from but if they're all f#$$ed up, what's the point?" - capoeiraesp about Strictly 7

"if you're having music problems i feel bad for you son, i got 24 frets but i only use 1" - Some guy on Youtube about Emmure

Check out my death metal band Lichmistress
DarkWolfXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What is up with these guitars that need constant tuning? I tune roughly once ever couple weeks with my locking trem/nut guitars, and maybe once per long playing session with my non-locking guitars. I don't have the most gentle attack either.

I'm not saying the Evertune is useless, but it sounds like it's just being used to compensate for other issues. How does the Evertune compensate for a poorly setup instrument with a roughly cut nut?

I really want those LTDs with this bridge to become a little more popular so I can finally get a hold of one. From what I've seen online it's either a love or hate kind of thing.

Quote:
Yeah! And what's with all these pickup placement options? Back in my day, our archtops just had a pickup at the neck - if we had a pickup at all! And everyone just plugged into the family radio for amplification! If it was good enough for Charlie Christian, it ought to be good enough for you!
To be fair, a guitar doesn't need much besides a transducer and strings, it's what players want that tends to stretch into infinity.
pondman and Konfyouzd like this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Vintage Steinbergers and Kleins still command high prices in the resale market, and new headless models are pretty widely coveted around here. I see that you're new to the forum, so I'll give you a pass on not knowing the latter. My objection was to the presumed objectivity of Mongoose's statement that the Evertune is "far more complicated than a guitar needs to be." "Needs" for an instrument are subjective.
I'll agree with the needs portion, I had an account but got my email hacked and couldn't recover the password. If it works, and is simple enough for a drummer to figure it out. I don't have any problem with it.
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

mulgreaux is a jewel in the rough
As an Evertune owner, I couldn't disagree more with this review. Ironically, I posted pics of my newly Evertuned guitar today and my opinions are the exact opposite of yours. I've spent a lot of time messing with it since I got it back from installation just over a month ago and I'm not having the problems you describe. I have the guitar intonated and setup for effortless bending and vibrato. The system is quite alien when compared with traditional bridge types, but it's no more complicated than a tune-o-matic or any other type of bridge- that is to say that it isn't really complicated at all (once you spend the time to learn exactly how it works). There is an order to use when setting up a tune-o-matic bridge, as I'm sure you know. If you intonate a string and then after that adjust the string height, you'll need to go back and readjust the intonation to get it perfect again. The Evertune is no different, and certainly no more "finnickety". There is an order in which to approach the elements of the setup of this bridge too, and if you use that order you shouldn't have any problems.

I hope this doesn't come across as what you'd cite as "hate" in your review, but it doesn't sound like you've spent enough time with it. Judging by how p1ssed off you seem with it, I don't think I'm about to change your mind either.
wilch and Orgalmer like this.

Last edited by mulgreaux; 11-17-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: grammar
mulgreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Seņor Voorhees is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
What is up with these guitars that need constant tuning? I tune roughly once ever couple weeks with my locking trem/nut guitars, and maybe once per long playing session with my non-locking guitars. I don't have the most gentle attack either.

I'm not saying the Evertune is useless, but it sounds like it's just being used to compensate for other issues. How does the Evertune compensate for a poorly setup instrument with a roughly cut nut?

I really want those LTDs with this bridge to become a little more popular so I can finally get a hold of one. From what I've seen online it's either a love or hate kind of thing.

To be fair, a guitar doesn't need much besides a transducer and strings, it's what players want that tends to stretch into infinity.
I think I've mentioned it in the past on this site, but I still really like the idea of an evertune bridge. In my band I'm strictly a rhythm guitarist and it's not so much the strings going out of tune as it is variance in pick attack that makes me want one. As it stands, if you have sections where you pick hard, you have to tune flat so that when you hit the string, it sharpens to the correct note. At the same time, if you have light attack sections, you need to tune closer to the actual note. Perhaps I'm just picky, but I find myself tuning flat and back fairly frequently for my guitars to remain in correct enough of tune to fit into the song. Usually this is an issue if a song has various attack types, not so much for straight up balls to the wall heavy or outright deliciously soft. After all, tuning before recording a song is certainly recommended.

'Course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I had a hard time taking the OP's review seriously. To me it just sounded like "Ugh, caveman no like new thing. New thing is different. Me no like different. Different is bad." I mean, some things might be a bit more of a hassle, but that doesn't stop people from loving things like Floyd Roses, which I personally dislike. There are totally legitimate gripes with the bridge and it's certainly not for everyone. Hell, OP has valid complaints (namely with the bends, though I've never played one so I have no idea how legit the complaints are), but then name calling an inanimate object because it doesn't fit their personal tastes? A tad silly. Especially when he made it a big point to rag on the aesthetics. Something he should have been completely aware of going into buying the guitar. A review should be enlightening. You show what you do and don't like, and leave it up to the potential buyers to decide if it's worth buying. It seemed more argumentative than an actual review, basically.

What I learned from this video is that I still want one based on the trade offs, and that some people really hate them. The fact that some people really hate them is completely irrelevant to my decision in eventually getting one.
Seņor Voorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

wilch is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the review!

This is the first user review I've seen that's been negative. Actually, the first non-endorsee type of review I've seen. Very interesting insight. I've never tried one, and was thinking of ordering a custom with one because I like the idea, without trying first. But I'll definitely try a guitar with one before I buy.
wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
But does it djent?

Zalbu will become famous soon enough
I have an Evertune too but I'm not a huge fan of it either. I don't know if it would be different if it was installed on a high-end guitar since it's the VGS Soulmaster 7 but I have to constantly readjust the bending sensitivity because the tension drops after maybe a day and you can't set the string action as low or high as you want.

It might be different for other people but I wouldn't recommend this if you're just a normal bedroom guitarist. The tuning doesn't budge an inch but all the extra hassle when it comes to changing strings, adjusting the action, changing tunings etc. as a tradeoff for tuning stability isn't worth it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Thanks for the review!

This is the first user review I've seen that's been negative. Actually, the first non-endorsee type of review I've seen. Very interesting insight. I've never tried one, and was thinking of ordering a custom with one because I like the idea, without trying first. But I'll definitely try a guitar with one before I buy.
Keith actually talked about how it killed the tone on his guitars, which is why he won't use the Evertune on his signature Schecter. Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread
Mongoose likes this.

We will be remembered for this.
Zalbu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Thanks for the review!

That's a good idea. I am not saying my word or review is the final judgement of this bridge. As I said in the video; try it out and make up your own mind which it looks like you will eventually do. It is an awesome concept but leaves a lot to be desired with all the problems it presents. My TOM bridges have never failed me and I play pretty aggressively. I just hate that Evertune is marketing this as such a revolutionary idea that guitarists cannot live without. It will come and go just like every other time tested guitar gimmick. Mark my words.
russmuller and Les like this.
Unread 11-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalbu View Post
I have an Evertune too but I'm not a huge fan of it either. I don't know if it would be different if it was installed on a high-end guitar since it's the VGS Soulmaster 7 but I have to constantly readjust the bending sensitivity because the tension drops after maybe a day and you can't set the string action as low or high as you want.

It might be different for other people but I wouldn't recommend this if you're just a normal bedroom guitarist. The tuning doesn't budge an inch but all the extra hassle when it comes to changing strings, adjusting the action, changing tunings etc. as a tradeoff for tuning stability isn't worth it for me.

Keith actually talked about how it killed the tone on his guitars, which is why he won't use the Evertune on his signature Schecter. Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread
#1 - KM is awesome so that alone is enough reason to not like this bridge.
#2 - It's nice to know I am not the only person that thinks this thing CREATES tuning problems rather then solve them.
Unread 11-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
But does it djent?

Zalbu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
#2 - It's nice to know I am not the only person that thinks this thing CREATES tuning problems rather then solve them.
Nah, I never have to tune it, but I like to change tunings often so I'd rather have a normal hardtail. I feel like you're a bit too hard on the Evertune, it's still a great piece of gear for people who tour a lot or don't change tunings often and stuff like that.

We will be remembered for this.
Zalbu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

WhiteWalls is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the review, it's good that there's finally a negative opinion among all the "omg this is the bestest thing ever" reviews on youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Voorhees View Post
I think I've mentioned it in the past on this site, but I still really like the idea of an evertune bridge. In my band I'm strictly a rhythm guitarist and it's not so much the strings going out of tune as it is variance in pick attack that makes me want one. As it stands, if you have sections where you pick hard, you have to tune flat so that when you hit the string, it sharpens to the correct note.
This is the part I love the most about the Evertune, but the problem is that in order to get this effect you are forced to lose bendings, because if you tune the bridge just under the threshold so you can do bends, then the string will go sharp even if you just pick hard. (or even if there's a way to make it happen, it has to be incredibly precise and even minor changes in the guitar's setup can easily screw it up)

But still, to me the evertune aims to solve problems that already have pretty easy solutions, while creating more problems by its own. I'm pretty sure I would love an Evertune for recording rhythm guitars in the studio for example, but I wouldn't like it for a guitar that is meant to do all sorts of things.
WhiteWalls is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
The Traveler

Mike is just really niceMike is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Great review. Good to hear the other side. I've also noticed how the saddles are crooked and it runs the strings off center on the fretboard on other Evertune bridged guitars as well. So I don't think its a lemon, but more of a nature of the beast with those floating saddles.

edit: I am completely with you on the tune-o-matic

Do you see?
Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Quote:
#1 - KM is awesome so that alone is enough reason to not like this bridge.
This is what a water-tight argument looks like.
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulgreaux View Post
This is what a water-tight argument looks like.
It was obvious humor. KM has reviewed and tried so many pieces of equipment and hardware; and if he will not have this bridge on his custom guitars it's a good indicator that he is not convinced that it is worthy of his music. It's not like this bridge is cheap. $300+ compared to less than $70 for a TOM setup on allparts.com. My little review in the sea that is the internet will not affect this company or there products... only time will do that. You seem very bent on defending this bridge to the death which tells me you are trying to justify owning it. Everyone has opinions and preferences. My OPINION is that this bridge sucks! Your is that it was amazing. Let's leave it at that. If you like it so much then enjoy! I think we can all agree that it's not the guitar that creates music; it's the player. If you don't like or agree with my review then might I suggest not following along with this thread. There are plenty of other things to occupy your time on here.
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

I was just messing with you, man. It was irresistible. That said- I'll take experience over the opinion of any man in the spotlight. You've had your experience and spoken honestly about it. I must say I didn't get the humour jumping off the page, but it would explain your comment as without it, it stands as a poor justification.

As for defending it to death- I think you're extrapolating something there. I like the bridge and I disagree with your review. I'm keeping it on this guitar. It works for what I need it for. I won't be getting one on my next guitar, and I'm not about to hack up my 335.
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

wilch is a jewel in the rough
I missed that post from Keith. Interesting.
wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulgreaux View Post
I like the bridge and I disagree with your review. I'm keeping it on this guitar.
I respect that. That is one of the great things about freedom of speech. I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it. If anything personal taste is what gives us as guitar players so many choices in brands, hardware, and customizations. If we all liked the same thing then we would all play the same guitar, the same color, and the same hardware. That would be terribly boring
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

StateOfSerenity has a spectacular aura about
Whatever happened to a fixed bridge with a good set up, appropriate gauge for tuning, which will roughly stay in tune over time with only small tweaks needed.

I also find that people with these amazing bridges that mean you "don't have to tune at all!! Ever!!! I've had these strings on since the 20s!!! always end up just checking with a tuner anyway.

It takes like 10 seconds with a good set up.
Mongoose likes this.
StateOfSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
Banned

dethFNmetal can only hope to improve
this is exactly why keith merrow got rid of the evertune for even being an option for his sig.
dethFNmetal is offline   Reply With Quote