homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Not a melon

edonmelon is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DiMarzio Illuminators?

So I was taking a look at the JPXIII page in the EBMM website:

JP13

And I noticed that the custom DiMarzio's that this model includes actually had a name. DiMarzio Illuminator, neck and bridge.

I haven't read anything about them on this forum (or anywhere else) so I thought I'd share.

Has anybody got info on them?
edonmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Tr00ch described them as a modified Crunch Lab and Liquifire set to work with the active boost he has built in.

So I think they're supposed to be lower output and cleaner and the boost adds the meat when he wants it.

EDIT: I was aware of the version without a bar coil, but it's now showing a picture of one with a bar (like the CL). What's going oooooooooon.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Not a melon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Tr00ch described them as a modified Crunch Lab and Liquifire set to work with the active boost he has built in.

So I think they're supposed to be lower output and cleaner and the boost adds the meat when he wants it.
I am most intrigued. Source, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
EDIT: I was aware of the version without a bar coil, but it's now showing a picture of one with a bar (like the CL). What's going oooooooooon.
AFAIK the JPXIII was originally advertised as having the CL/LF combo in it; that's just the Crunch Lab. I guess that the Illuminators are your classic slug/screw coil config, so I'd love to see a covered version of both pickups if they ever go into production!
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
It was a video from NAMM, I'll dig around later if I have time.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Given To Fly is a glorious beacon of lightGiven To Fly is a glorious beacon of lightGiven To Fly is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I was about to start a thread asking the same question. Good thing we avoided disaster! Dimarzio does not have the Illuminator's on their website and its been a month since the last post in this thread so I thought maybe somebody might know something now...besides John Petrucci.

Given To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
0000 00 0 0 00 000

MetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
All I see is that there is one pic of the JP13 with what looks like the CL in the bridge and then the other 3 have the "Illuminators"

I really want to know what the fvck is going on
Chuck likes this.

I own a PURPLE Schecter Banshee 7 passive and you don't
FREE DEBUT SOLO ALBUM
MetalBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

SKoG is a jewel in the rough
I'd been looking for info about the Illuminators and yesterday the name caught my eye in the new Guitar World (Sept issue). The buyers guide is mostly 7/8 string guitars, strings and pickups and the Illuminators are mentioned along with Ionizers in the pickup section.

"The new Illuminator 7 was created in conjunction with Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci and delivers the clarity and presence that a seven string pickup needs. Illuminator 7, $139 dimarzio.com"

Not much, but maybe with this we'll hear more soon from Dimarzio.
SKoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Given To Fly is a glorious beacon of lightGiven To Fly is a glorious beacon of lightGiven To Fly is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoG View Post
I'd been looking for info about the Illuminators and yesterday the name caught my eye in the new Guitar World (Sept issue). The buyers guide is mostly 7/8 string guitars, strings and pickups and the Illuminators are mentioned along with Ionizers in the pickup section.

"The new Illuminator 7 was created in conjunction with Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci and delivers the clarity and presence that a seven string pickup needs. Illuminator 7, $139 dimarzio.com"

Not much, but maybe with this we'll hear more soon from Dimarzio.
Thanks for passing on the information!

To me that description says "We have a cool name for pickup but haven't even begun to design it yet." But at least know we will finally have a 7 string pickup with "clarity and presence" rather than all the muddy, absent pickups Dimarzio has been designing.

Given To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
JonOrBattleship

TheOrangeChannel is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
Thanks for passing on the information!

To me that description says "We have a cool name for pickup but haven't even begun to design it yet." But at least know we will finally have a 7 string pickup with "clarity and presence" rather than all the muddy, absent pickups Dimarzio has been designing.
Waiting for info on these. Until then it's all Duncan Pegasus/ Sentient ha!
banenis likes this.
TheOrangeChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
nojyeloot and edonmelon like this.
HeHasTheJazzHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
Not a melon

They sound gnarly! Really looking forward to trying these out. I wonder how they would work in a guitar without an active preamp thing though.
Also Trooch kinda needs to put some work on his improv skillz IMO, dat intro solo... Although I wouldn't do better, of course D:
Thanks for the info, HeHasTheJazzHands!
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
ss.org Regular

SKoG is a jewel in the rough
I know we'll get more tone demos as more JP13s and the Illuminators get out there, but that was kinda disappointing. I love John and DT and I know it's just a Youtube promo clip, but that type of playing and sound just doesn't show off a pickup too well. Also worries me a little about the new album, but I'll digress and just wait for it.
isispelican likes this.
SKoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
On a Musical Journey

RagtimeDandy is just really niceRagtimeDandy is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like an Aftermath set in a basswood guitar - completely sterile.

Honest, music must be.
My solo project "The Left Turns" - Progressive metal/djent/whatever you wanna call it metal: https://soundcloud.com/the-left-turns
RagtimeDandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
I just saw this on JP's Facebook. Even though I don't dislike them, I really am not impressed in the least. Quite generic. Then again, as has been mentioned, that kind of sound with those effects aren't ideal conditions to demo a pickup anyway.

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'd much rather judge the sound from a clean di track, and maybe some distorted chords near the end to judge the note definition of the pickup.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

narad is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/narad is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/narad is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/narad is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/narad is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/narad is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/narad is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtimeDandy View Post
Sounds like an Aftermath set in a basswood guitar - completely sterile.
While the pickups do not impress, I'm totally sold on that finish! It looks extremely boring in photos, not the liquid metal it seems to be in the video.

"What do we say to the God of Practice?" "Not today!"
narad is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
Doesn't play guitar

Stealthtastic is just really niceStealthtastic is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Was relatively unimpressed by the video, although the neck sounds like it could be really awesome. The bridge on the other hand sounded relatively lame IMHO.

Private Joker: The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.
Stealthtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
JP7
Laughs and Shreds

JP7 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Was relatively unimpressed by the video, although the neck sounds like it could be really awesome. The bridge on the other hand sounded relatively lame IMHO.
I though exactly the same thing when I watched and listened to this video
Stealthtastic likes this.

Laughs and Shreds!
JP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #19

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
John Petrucci's New "Dimarzio Illuminator" Pickups.

A really neat video of John Petrucci talking and playing his new "Dimarzio Illuminator" pickups. I have had the chance to play the new JP13 Six String with these new pickups and it is quite possibly the best sounding JP I have heard.

Check the video out! Though I am not sure if I like John's new tone with the guitar as much as the JP BFR tone.

Compared to this...

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #20
That Guy from Maine

Blasphemer is a glorious beacon of lightBlasphemer is a glorious beacon of lightBlasphemer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DUDE. THE DAY I get a CL/LF setup, he comes out with new PUPs. What the hell, Man?!
Blasphemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #21
Sweeps and Chugs

Dawn of the Shred is just really niceDawn of the Shred is just really nice
JP is always going to have good tone.

Fender Jim Root Stratocaster-Black
Fender Jim Root Stratocaster-White(incoming)
Fender Jim Root Telecaster-Black
Fender MIA Fat Strat-White
Orange TT15JR
Orange Jim Root PPC2x12
Orange Crush CR60C 1x12
Maxon 808 OD
ISP Decimater
Boss RC-3
Dawn of the Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #22
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
His tone is shit in that first video.

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

MrPepperoniNipples is just really niceMrPepperoniNipples is just really nice
Am I the only one that thought his playing in the first video was garbage?
At least during those scale runs
MrPepperoniNipples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #24
DESU METARU!

kamello is just really nicekamello is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPepperoniNipples View Post
Am I the only one that thought his playing in the first video was garbage?
At least during those scale runs
you are a brave man my friend, I thought the same

-
I love how when someone says they're playing in E, or B on this forum you really have no idea what octave they're talking about lol -Mintberrycrunch ....(´・ω・`) ....
---
Covers and I hope that soon I can record some of my stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/wallytalivan
http://soundcloud.com/kamello-chm
kamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #25
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Way too much delay/reverb on that demo vid. And I'm assuming the pre-amp is engaged so that doesn't help either.

Agreed that I'd love to hear these clean dry or just distortion (no pre-amp) to get a better judge of the sound. Then again, pickups are best judge when you try them yourself.

Maybe I just want a 7 string equivalent to the Breed. The Crunchlab/Liquifire are close (as per Steve Blutcher) so I'm curious how these go in 7 string form.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote