homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Saywah is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrading a 279 Guitar. Any ideas?

Good day boys and girls of the SevenString forum, I hope you're all well

I was sitting around today, looking misty-eyed at all the wonderful guitars one can purchase on the webz, when I realised that of the two electric guitars I have, I only really ever play one of them.

The guitar I've come to neglect was my first, an Ibanez SA220 that cost me 279. Here's a pic.

It was a fantastic first guitar, but I got it about 6 years ago and since then the only major upgrade to it was when I swapped in some EMGs for the stock pups. The fact is that I guess I don't really like playing it that much anymore. The tuners are terrible and the bridge is a horrible excuse for a floating trem. I love the feel of the neck, but the frets seem to be totally worn out. I'm too nervous to fiddle around with the truss rod, but even when I get it set up at my local store the notes seem to choke out quickly higher up the fretboard. The sound is actually pretty good, but I'm past my 16-year old metalcore-is-the-only-thing-that's-worth-playing phase and more often than not I want something that, sure, can play all the good metal stuff, but has some dynamics and doesn't go all compressed when I want to be bluesy.

So, my question to you guys is: What would you recommend as quality upgrades to the guitar that I have? Is it worth spending that money, or would I be better off just buying a new guitar altogether?

To give you an indication of what I'm looking for:

a) locking tuners
b) a quality, non-locking trem (or a fixed bridge, not really fussed)
c) quality frets

I'd be inclined to put in a pair of BKPs, possibly a couple of Nailbombs of Aftermaths.

I know this is a very subjective question, but any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2709 (480x640).jpg (203.3 KB, 23 views)
Saywah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Djentiver Gustafsson

oliviergus is a jewel in the rough
From what I just readed, and understood.
I'll think it be worth saving up some money and buy a new guitar.

Gear:
Ibanez RG7621
LTD Deluxe H-1001.
Axe-Fx Ultra
Rocktron Velocity 300
Line 6 Spider III 15w
Pod XT Live
oliviergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
the green machine

Zugster is just really niceZugster is just really nice
The only thing I would do is have a tech evaluate it. If the frets have some life in them yet and the bridge is functional, I would have him do a full setup, including a fret leveling if needed.

If the frets are shot, its time to move on. Use it as a beater or sell it for what you can get for it. Take from a guy who has spent a lot of cash upgrading guitars - it's a slippery slope to nowhere with no hope of getting anything back on resale value. Don't even think about BKPs!

...this rig requires something with a little more kick... plutonium!
Zugster is offline   Reply With Quote