homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Stealthdjentstic
  • 3 Post By TheKindred

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Ibanez420 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pickup dilemma, need moral support!

I have recently purchased an RG7321 and I love this guitar. Its really light, comfortable to play, well built. Obviously the pickups aren't the greatest but thats a well known fact.
Heres my dillema. I am trying to decide if I should drop the cash on some premo dimarzios to drop in this thing because I know these sound pretty darn good. But I am playing through a Peavy vypyr 75. Peavey :: VypyrŪ 75
While this isn't the worst amp ever by far, actually its quite good, but it is a modeler . That being said it blows every other similary priced modeler away and sounds pretty authentic due the "analog" distortion on it so it isnt 100% digital.
So heres my question, obviously id love to get an $1000 tube amp but its out of the question for now or anytime soon. Would it be worth it to drop the 100 plus dollars on some dimarzios to put in the 7321 to play to through this amp. tl;dr Like basically will i be able to a notice a difference and improve in sound from the stock pickups through this peavy vypyr 75 amp.
THANKS!!!
Ibanez420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-06-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

sh4z will become famous soon enough
Yes, imo pickups will have a noticeable difference in tone although not sure if it will be worth it for you with the vypyr. Personally I don't like the stock pickups in the RG7321 (They aren't terrible) but it is a decent guitar as you say (especially for the price) worth upgrading the pickups for sure. I've played with the vypyr 75 before and didnt like the distortion that much. but the more I learn the more I have realized that there are a lot of other things which affect your tone as well. Speakers are probably the next most important imo.

Pickups are a very personal thing, but worth changing if your not happy with the way it sounds. Listen to as much samples and play as many different type of pickups as you can. This will be tough to gauge because the guitar the pickups are in will influence the sound a lot too. dimarzio pickups cost around $100 to $200 so it could be like $400 for a set (in Australia).. and if your not doing the pickup installation yourself (It's not too hard) you could be up for another 1-$200 on top. so could end up costing you near to a grand anyway .. you might only want one pickup changed I dunno (Probably bridge for me :P) its nice to have a set though.

If you dont think it sounds too bad maybee hold off and wait to get the better amp - that will have a much more noticeable impact on your tone. but yeah.. more expensive ofc :P it's up to you in the end ^^

sh4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
The pups in my 7321 sound like total mud. Change em if you like everything else about the guitar.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
EMPERORoftheUNIVERSE

K3V1N SHR3DZ is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Put an Evo or D-Activator in the bridge.
K3V1N SHR3DZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Only point in getting a 1k tube amp is if you can play loud. If not..then it might sound worse than a modeler.
Konfyouzd and Hemorrhage like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Only point in getting a 1k tube amp is if you can play loud. If not..then it might sound worse than a modeler.
QFT

I was the beneficiary of one such idiot who bought a Dual Recto half stack for bedroom use and didn't use it for a year for obvious reasons. A new amp for used prices.

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

cgraci will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey man. I hope you dont mind my opinion but i have the same guitar with a shitty line six amp and changed my pickups intstead. i bought the emgs 707s. I think for me it was abetter route because i didnt have the money to by the tube amp at the time but now i got a mesa. Anyway, i feel that my skills progressed with just the improved sound from the changed pickups. save then later you can get the amp. the improvement was enough to inspoire me to play better and stick with it. oh and to have someone install it was 50 bucks because he converted to active. I felt that if I waited for the amp my skills would come to a stand still. I hope that helps man
cgraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

iloki is just really niceiloki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Definitely get the pickups
iloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

BillNephew is a jewel in the rough
For 7 strings, high output passives are not my thing. I've always liked PAF style pickups for extended range guitars, they just always have the clarity I'm looking for. I'd say go with a set of DiMarzio PAF-7. You'll definitely notice the clarity, especially through a modeling amp.
BillNephew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
I'd do pickups bc you'll probably still be pissed at how a 7321 sounds through even the nicest of amps if it's stock.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
TimeTravel Innovator

TheKindred is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
As said above,

PUPs first. When dealing with tone issues, I find it works best to start at your fingers and then move through your signal path from there. This way you ensure the best tone by the time you're at the output.
K3V1N SHR3DZ, sh4z and TRENCHLORD like this.

I wish my tinitus was at 440Hz so I could save money on tuners. -7 Dying Trees
TheKindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindred View Post
When dealing with tone issues, I find it works best to start at your fingers and then move through your signal path from there.
I never [consciously] thought about it quite like this, but that's pretty damn smart.

Unread 07-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Ibanez420 is on a distinguished road
Geez I wasnt expecting this many responses, THANKS guys I really appreciate it.
I think I will upgrade the pickups. Im pretty sold on some dimarzio's, ive done tons of research and it seems nothing for that price can compete.
Any reccomendations for which set I should get? The CL(crunch lab)/LF(luiqifire) seems pretty solid.
once again thanks for the responses guys!
Ibanez420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Dread-I Master

I'm gonna recommend Blaze Custom/Blaze Neck like I always do.