homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Marzum is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question New pickups for Ibanez s7420

Hey, I'm looking for a new bridge pickup for my Mahogany Ibanez s7420.

Since there's no guitar tech or someone who I trust to work on my guitar I want to refrain from doing any routing.

Even after looking though the pickup selection thread I just can't decide what kind a pickup would be right for me .
So I've basically number my choices down to a few pickups but I'm not sure which one would work for me.

Since I'm mainly playing 'death metal' which 'Passive' pickup would you recommend me? and if you would compare then what would be the main difference?

DiMarzio, D activator , Evolution or D sonic?
or
don't know if the Duncan distortion would work in my guitar.

PS never done a pickup swap before, so sorry if I sound like a complete noob.
Marzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Search button will answer this question in more ways then you can imagine
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

Marzum is on a distinguished road
maybe I should be slightly more clear and clear up my questions. Since all other passive pickup thread come down to get a BKP (don't have the money for those).

Out of the pickups I mentioned: DiMarzio D activator , Evolution or D sonic and Duncan distortion .

Is there any reason why they wound sound good in my guitar or would require routing?

not asking for personal preference, since they are all quality products, which would be best for extreme metal? or which one wouldn't for that matter?.
Marzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Humbub

clintsal is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 51 reviews
My favorite tone I've played personally comes from my s7420 w painkillers. As far as eq and response goes, I believe the Evo is most similar.

My PK's are covered, so I dremeled the routes down a bit, but I also like the tone of backed off pups better. Dimarzios without covers fit fine w no routing (mine came w blazes installed), so it is absolutely possible to put em in without modification.

Pup swaps are VERY easy if you do some research and invest in a $15 soldering iron from a hardware store. That $15 and some online research has literally saved me hundreds in tech costs.
clintsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Dimarzio CRUNK-Lab

Metamurphic is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I Have 2 s7420's. One with D sonic and one with Evo. I much prefer the D sonic. It's a tough sounding pickup in that instrument, heaps responsive and articulate. No routing is required for dimarzio's and there's coloured wiring diagrams on the dimarzio site. If you take your time and just focus one connection at a time you can get the job done. I used to be intimidated at the prospect of a pickup swap but i just went for it. Now i do work for my friends, pickup swaps, routes and set up. I usually just charge them in beer!
Metamurphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had the Evo 7 in the bridge of my MIJ S7420 a few years back, and I was pretty happy with it. It did however sound a lot better when I put in a pickup with a bit more "cut", in this case a BKP War Pig, so I'd imagine the D-Activator would fare better. Especially if the trem isn't blocked.
Loomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Not an IMN

Mega-Mads is a jewel in the rough
Loomer's the guitarist in my band and i have to say that the C-pig is the perfect match for sabre guitars due to their rather slim bodies. Spice it up with a 550k pot and you're in tone heaven.

But another great choice would definetly be a Duncan Distortion. Its a personal favourite of mine.
Mega-Mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Sea Turtles mate

Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
BKP Warpig or Aftermath..........damn it not in your price range (**Save up, you get what you pay for with BKPs***)

Before I converted over I rocked the DiMarzio Crunch Lab in the bridge or 4 or 5 of my guitars, I still have a MIJ S7420 with a Crunch Lab in it.

Personally I would buy a Crunch Lab if your set on a DiMarzio pup. I play a lot of Death metal, Melodic metal & Thrash along with some Prog. The DiMarzio Crunch Lab served me well for a couple years until I got my first set of BKP Aftermaths.

I think the Crunch Lab sounds very similar to the Aftermath but is lacking the Uber clarity and tightness of a BKP (Which I never noticed until I got the Aftermaths)

Also pair the Crunch Lab with a Liquifire in the neck and your in DiMarzio heaven. A liquifire in mahogany is super smooth & creamy
clintsal likes this.

The project that I'm working on is so secret... Even I don't know what I'm doing!

Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

Bower1 will become famous soon enough
Also just because you pay a store tech to do a pu swap doesn't mean he knows what he's doing. I agree with the person who said to invest in the iron.

I have a D sonic. That is a nice pickup. I have BKP's too. But I would totally buy another set of Dimarzios. (BKP is where it's at but its not the only option by any means and Dimarzios own too).
Bower1 is offline   Reply With Quote