homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Joshua_Bolling

Joshua_Bolling is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Cepheus Alpha Pickups for 8 string??

Hey you guys, i just bought the new Schecter Omen 8, and the pickups are freakin' terrible. Soo, this leaves me in a desperate struggle for new pickups. I've been debating on either Bareknuckle pickups(which are TOO expensive) or the Cepheus Alpha 8 Pickup for the bridge. I've heard good reviews on both of the pickups, but the problem is, i don't know which to get. I heard that the Cepheus Alpha pickup sounds close to a Lundgren M8. So, i'd personally like to get the Cepheus, just because it's in a good price range, rather than spending $300 on a calibrated set from Barekuckle.

So, for the Cepheus Alpha pickup, Would it be a good pickup for a 'Djenty' kinda thing? Also, would it be good for shredding and so on?

The Schecter Omen 8 has terrible pickups and i need a quick replacement before i go crazy. It sucks when you buy a brand new guitar, and when you get it, it's not what you think it would.

So i'd really appreciate it if someone could help me find the pickups i need.
Please and thankyou
Joshua_Bolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Split the difference and go for a set of DiMarzio D-Activator 8s. I recently tried them in a Schecter ATX8 and they killed. They didn't sound like the 6 or 7-string variants, but tight and powerful with just enough low end to give you some thump.

I'm kinda bummed that I don't have a non-fanned 8-string to put them in.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
Joshua_Bolling

Well I've heard bad and good things about the d-activators. Do you think a cepheus alpha on the bridge and a d-activator in the neck for shredding would be a good mix?
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Also keep the Lace pickups in mind, which are passives. The X-Bar 4.0 and the DeathBar 4.0 should be drop-in replacements for the Omen stock pickups.

If your previous experience or information about the D-Activators has been with the 6 or 7-string version, bear in mind that the 8-string version is voiced very differently despite having the same name. DiMarzio also makes a PAF-8 that might interest you.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
aint no gahdam woman

nostealbucket is just really nicenostealbucket is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
cepheus alpha is extremely similar to the M8. its good for the money.
I'd go for the d-activators.
nostealbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Joshua_Bolling

I see. It's hard trying to find the right pickups that fit my style, but I think I might go with the d-activators . I might also try out a Cepheus or something soon.
Thanks everyone for your help, its helped me out a lot!