homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Inverted11
  • 1 Post By Ben.Last
  • 1 Post By Ben.Last
  • 3 Post By Ben.Last

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

theronaldchase is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bare Knuckle Warpigs

Does anyone have much experience with them? I have a chance to snag one for super cheap and haven't heard much about this particular model. I hear generally favorable things about the company itself.

Also, what would be a good pickup to put in the other pickup position?

Chances are, this pickup will either go in my PRS Mike Mushok Baritone or a First Act ME501(please, go ahead and judge).

Thanks for your opinions, musings, thoughts and feelings.
theronaldchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

mniel8195 will become famous soon enough
i would buy it try it out wont be hard to sell if you dont like it. its a bass heavy and i believe its one of their higher output pickups.
mniel8195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Inverted11 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What kind of wood are your guitars? If it's mahogany, don't even think about it.
Erazoender likes this.
Inverted11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted11 View Post
What kind of wood are your guitars? If it's mahogany, don't even think about it.
I couldn't disagree more. This is working with a very limited understanding of the actual tonal qualities of mahogany (It's not just a {"dark" tone wood). I have WPs in 2 different mahogany guitars and have not trouble with the low end whatsoever.

To the op, I love mine. They are a very high output pickup, but they also provide a very tight, controlled distorted tone. They also give a very good "grind" to the tone.

The most important question is:

What kind of tone are you looking for?
Joe Harvatt likes this.
Ben.Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

RuffeDK is a jewel in the rough
I have a Warpig 7 bridge pickup in my RG1527, and it slays... everything!

People are hyped over BKP Aftermath, Holy Driver and Painkiller (Neck), but I think Warpig annihilates them all

Go for it!
RuffeDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
SDMF, mofos

Aurochs34 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Loved my WP alnico 6. On the note of Mahogany, just be careful; know what you're after tonally. For me, in a heavily dropped LP, it became too mushy for much of what I was after.

However, especially if it's 4 conductor, you can get some really great jazzy tones. All in all, loved it, but it's definitely a real high output HB with a distinct sound of its own (that may compliment or clash with your instrument/ playing style IMO).

I prefer the neck for my purposes, with a slightly tighter bridge pup (sounded nice with a couple ceramics).

"The Beard laughed, a sad laugh, it was the sound of birds being scrunched under foot."
Aurochs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Evil Weasel is just really niceEvil Weasel is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yeah the warpig is very hot and has a very bass centred EQ. I wouldn't consider using if for more modern sounding metal (don't want to use the dj- word but you get my drift) due to those.

It does sound amazing coil tapped though! Has a pretty unique twangy sound. If you do buy it definitely wire it up with a tap. It is a surprisingly good pickup for clean sounds in both bucker and single coil/tapped form.
Evil Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Purelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to all
i had a warpig in my les paul that i bought cause it was cheap on craigslist, its a great buy but was too hot for me and too dark. i loved the response but in the end changed it out. i love the aftermath bridge and warpig neck in mahogany though. so damn versatile
Purelojik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Weasel View Post
Yeah the warpig is very hot and has a very bass centred EQ. I wouldn't consider using if for more modern sounding metal (don't want to use the dj- word but you get my drift) due to those.
Modern sounding metal? Yes. Djent? It's probably not the ideal choice.

That's why I would like to know what he's going for.
Purelojik likes this.
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

RuffeDK is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lern2swim View Post
Modern sounding metal? Yes. Djent? It's probably not the ideal choice.

That's why I would like to know what he's going for.
Well, with pre-amp you can make anything possible. When I was in the studio we managed to find tons of different sounds from typical SLAM to Swe-Death through POD Farm.
But I like the tight über-bass-response. Palm muted power chords and lead tones blew my mind WP is highly recommended from me!
I do miss some punch on single-tone palm mutes, but that is no big deal for the music I play.
RuffeDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Purelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffeDK View Post
Well, with pre-amp you can make anything possible. When I was in the studio we managed to find tons of different sounds from typical SLAM to Swe-Death through POD Farm.
But I like the tight über-bass-response. Palm muted power chords and lead tones blew my mind WP is highly recommended from me!
I do miss some punch on single-tone palm mutes, but that is no big deal for the music I play.
i do agree with this but overall the pickup is darker than most think. not to say it isnt an amazing pup. i had to re do all my patches to make it work with what i had, was a pain actually.
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Formerly Lern2Swim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purelojik View Post
i do agree with this but overall the pickup is darker than most think. not to say it isnt an amazing pup. i had to re do all my patches to make it work with what i had, was a pain actually.
But that's the case with most pickups. I wouldn't change to any pickup and just leave settings the same.
Purelojik, Edika and RuffeDK like this.
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lern2swim View Post
But that's the case with most pickups. I wouldn't change to any pickup and just leave settings the same.
yea you are correct, i was in my pickup swapping stage and made a general preset (everything at noon) that sounded decent,(i wanted to hear a difference) in the same night i swapped out the PRS tremonti in the bridge for a SD distortion, then a 59/custom. then the warpig.
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Aliens

Erazoender is a jewel in the rough
I'm thinking of getting a Ceramic WP and Alnico WP for my Alder/maple neck-thru Carvin DC 727. I'm not looking for a djenty pickup but I do want some percussive-ness to single notes. Thoughts?
Erazoender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

DavidLopezJr is just really niceDavidLopezJr is just really nice
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erazoender View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Ceramic WP and Alnico WP for my Alder/maple neck-thru Carvin DC 727. I'm not looking for a djenty pickup but I do want some percussive-ness to single notes. Thoughts?
That's exactly what they will do.
DavidLopezJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #16
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
The Warpig is great. Key to keeping the sound super tight even with it, being a dark/brutal pickup, is to keep the pickup height to reasonable levels. If its too close to the strings it may mush up a bit. Definitely get the ceramic version if it's a mahogany guitar and you tune down.

The Axe Palace <-- Dealer for: BKP, DiMarzio, Ibanez, Mayones, ENGL, Diezel, Orange, Fryette, ESP, Caparison, PRS, Vigier, Dean, Parker, Flaxwood, G&L, Schecter and many more.

NEW WEBSITE IS NOW LIVE: www.axepalace.com

zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
Amidst the chaos

Addie5150 has a spectacular aura about
@zimbloth What would be the advisable pickup height/ distance from the strings for a ceramic ,covered bridge warpig?
Addie5150 is offline   Reply With Quote