homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DiMarzio Evo-7, Duncan Distortion 7, or Full Shred 7 in Basswood

So, I'm trying to find a new bridge pickup for my RG7321. Thanks to some help, I've narrowed down to the Evo-7 for DiMarzios. But, I'm also considering the Duncan Full Shred, since I've heard some really good reviews.

Tone-wise, I'm looking for a VERY tight low end, think Fear Factory and Iced Earth. Lots of rapid chugging and palm mutes with maybe a small solo thrown here and there. I know the D-Activator 7 would excel at this, but I've heard mixed reviews of it in Basswood.

Also, I did do a search, and it just confused things even more for me.

EDIT: No BKP.

EDIT2: Changed up the title a bit.
HeHasTheJazzHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
PC rig poster boy

JPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
The only input I can offer is about the Evo-7. It's currently my favorite bridge pickup so call me biased.

Have you considered using a neck pickup for the bridge position? The Liquifire 7 or D Activator 7 Neck look like they'd fit your uses.

Ask enough questions, and you can answer anything.
JPhoenix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

blackrobedone is a jewel in the rough
BKP VH, brah.

Just kidding.

I'd go with the Full Shred because I like it better than the other 2 (only played through the EVO 6, though). The X2N lacks tone, it's just power and breakup.
Kodee_Kaos likes this.
blackrobedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Biologist/Guitarist

groverj3 is just really nicegroverj3 is just really nice
I do like the X2N, but for chugga chuggas the Duncan Distortion may suit you. The Full Shred is another good option.

Do you have a preference of ceramic/alnico mags? I personally don't like alnico Vs for anything below standard tuning. I love the smooth high end on them, but for rhythm or downtuning I prefer ceramic magnets. That's just a personal preference.

"Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity. However, I'm not too sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
groverj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Oops. Sorry to have led you astray. I had just installed the Full Shred 7 in my Apex (replacing a Duncan Invader). It sounded good at the house, through Amplitube, but . . . Invader for the win! The Full Shred 7 is too trebley and twangy for my liking (I just played it through my Triple Rectifier about 30 minutes ago). The low B string sounded awful - like a bass string. I have had this experience with all of Dimarzio's pickups, but it was really even more pronounced on this. On the low string you hear a lot of bass, and very little of the note. I tried different heights as well as adjusting the individual pole piece, but to no avail.

After about 8 different 7 string pickups, I always go back to the Invader. It is the only pickup I've played that can give you a heavy chug with crunch on the low string (except for Duncan Blackouts).

I'd avoid the Full Shred 7. If you really want it, PM me and I'll sell mine to you. I used it for all of 3 hours and I know it doesn't work for me.
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.
Hmmm, might be wary with the Full Shred then... I'll also probably keep an eye on the Invader and also check out the Distortion, since I heard some good reviews of it, too.
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 129 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrobedone View Post
Oops. Sorry to have led you astray. I had just installed the Full Shred 7 in my Apex (replacing a Duncan Invader). It sounded good at the house, through Amplitube, but . . . Invader for the win! The Full Shred 7 is too trebley and twangy for my liking (I just played it through my Triple Rectifier about 30 minutes ago). The low B string sounded awful - like a bass string. I have had this experience with all of Dimarzio's pickups, but it was really even more pronounced on this. On the low string you hear a lot of bass, and very little of the note. I tried different heights as well as adjusting the individual pole piece, but to no avail.

After about 8 different 7 string pickups, I always go back to the Invader. It is the only pickup I've played that can give you a heavy chug with crunch on the low string (except for Duncan Blackouts).

I'd avoid the Full Shred 7. If you really want it, PM me and I'll sell mine to you. I used it for all of 3 hours and I know it doesn't work for me.
I have a few guitars iwth the FS7 and it's a tight f'n pickup with thick mids and great cut through treble. Check your wiring and/or retweak your amp settings. I find the FS7 to probably be the tightest 7 string from Duncan with the Distortion being 2nd and then the Custom.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Tears Are My Bidet

You're probably one of the main reasons why I was considering it. I saw you were raving about it, so I decided to check it out.

Have you ever tried it in anything Basswood?
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 129 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHasTheJazzHands View Post
You're probably one of the main reasons why I was considering it. I saw you were raving about it, so I decided to check it out.

Have you ever tried it in anything Basswood?
Honestly if there was a Duncan that might sound good in basswood I'd think it would be the FS however I've not tried it in anything basswood. As a thought for most duncans don't usually vibe with the neutral basswood tone.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Tears Are My Bidet

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
Honestly if there was a Duncan that might sound good in basswood I'd think it would be the FS however I've not tried it in anything basswood. As a thought for most duncans don't usually vibe with the neutral basswood tone.
That's why I really didn't consider Duncan at first, since I've heard they work best in anything except basswood. But, after I heard things about the Distortion and the Full Shred being a good fit, I decided to consider them.

So, I guess I'll consider the Full Shred and Evo right now.
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

I'd say the two pickups you've narrowed it down to are very similar. They respond to high gain with added fuzz IMHO. As I was playing through the FS7 I was thinking of my experience with the EVO6. I couldn't get a good clear note no matter how I adjusted anything. But obviously many others have had success with them.

As I mentioned before, if you want the FS7, I have a barely used one available - $70 shipped? PM me if you're interested.
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

EdgeCrusher is just really niceEdgeCrusher is just really nice
I used to have an RG7621 that the previous owner installed a JB7/Jazz7 set, and one thing I can say about the Seymour Duncan pickups is that the poles on the pickups extend out further down from the base; he had to route out some of the wood for them to fit. I'm not sure if all Duncan pickups are like that or not, but they might be just to warn you.

I'd stick with Dimarzios just so you don't have to modify the guitar, the EVO7 sounds like it would be good for you.
EdgeCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Banned

Jessy can only hope to improve
Things are way simpler than pickup manufacturers want to make you believe. The D-Activator 7 Neck model is the best pickup for any guitar, in any position, regardless of anything else (unless you need a slanted pickup). This will change when Q-Tuners are sold again. Get the pickup that you can make sound like any other pickup. The other models can't do this because they roll off too much high end. Erno from Q-tuner, Joe Barden, and I understand this principle. This is why they don't sell a thousand models like all the ripoff artists.
Jessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
Aliens

Erazoender is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
Things are way simpler than pickup manufacturers want to make you believe. The D-Activator 7 Neck model is the best pickup for any guitar, in any position, regardless of anything else (unless you need a slanted pickup). This will change when Q-Tuners are sold again. Get the pickup that you can make sound like any other pickup. The other models can't do this because they roll off too much high end. Erno from Q-tuner, Joe Barden, and I understand this principle. This is why they don't sell a thousand models like all the ripoff artists.

Seriously I completely disagree: pickup choices are all subjective and there's no "one and only" for everything.
Erazoender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erazoender View Post
Seriously I completely disagree: pickup choices are all subjective and there's no "one and only" for everything.
I completely agree with you, in the case where the pickup user has no idea how to use other gear. I think I'll stick with the opinion of the guys who made the best pickups in the world, thank you. ;-)

Also, I have no idea if Neil deGrasse Tyson plays guitar, but he knows enough about physics that I'm confident he'd side with us, too.
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
Tears Are My Bidet

I'd like to avoid Q-Tuners...
1) They're REALLY expensive (Didn't you notice I said no BKP's? )
2) I read many reviews on them, and the general consensus is that they work best for clean and mild distortion. They're not the best for heavy distortion, which I rely on more than clean/mild breakup.

And Edgecrusher, I believe the RG7321 pickups routes are different compared to the RG7321's. While they're not the same pickup, I saw people having to route Duncan Blackouts to be able to fit in RG76's or RG74's to fit, while RG7321's are drop-in replacements.
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Banned

Quote:
2) I read many reviews on them, and the general consensus is that they work best for clean and mild distortion.
The people writing those reviews had no idea how to use EQs or compressors. You need to educate yourself about what pickups actually do, before you spend this money you don't have. I'll help if you have specific questions, but I'm not delving into this superstitious nonsense about certain pickups having a magical property to work in some styles better than others. It's an electric guitar. Fix the signal if it's not driving things like you want it to be.
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
Tears Are My Bidet

If I have to use extra gear to make a $300+ pickup sound good to my tastes. then no thanks.
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
If I have to use extra gear to make a $300+ pickup sound good to my tastes. then no thanks.
Then you're a lost cause. Have fun buying a new pickup and guitar for every tone you want to use.
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Tears Are My Bidet

EDIT: I don't want to drag this argument any further.
Jessy and Erazoender like this.
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
Aliens

Erazoender is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
Then you're a lost cause. Have fun buying a new pickup and guitar for every tone you want to use.
Q-tuners have their own properties that some people like, and some people dislike. I'd personally vouch for a bareknuckle or even a dimarzio any day over the Q-Tuners; could you show me some examples of your metal tones with Q-tuners? I'm not being sarcastic I'd just like to hear some examples of what you're trying to say.
HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
Erazoender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erazoender View Post
could you show me some examples of your metal tones with Q-tuners? I'm not being sarcastic I'd just like to hear some examples of what you're trying to say.
Nope, don't own them anymore. (I have one clean guitar and one bass + overdriven lead guitar recording if you care, but that doesn't seem relevant.) The ones I had didn't fit in the guitars I had over the past few years, so I sold them. Hit me up when they're being sold again; I'm going to put two in a 27"-30" Agile Intrepid. You've got to do the same thing (lowpass filter, mid boost) with the D-Activator Neck, though, to get good metal rhythm tones. It's not as good as the Q-Tuner, but it's way brighter than any pickup marketed for metal, in the bridge position. I've got one in the Agile Pendulum I'm using until I switch to that other guitar I mentioned; if you need a demo, let me know. It's not angled, so it doesn't sound as good as it could, but the lack of rolloff mostly makes up for the harmonics it's not picking up, at least under distortion.
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Poor Gearwhore

setsuna7 is just really nicesetsuna7 is just really nice
Just got the distortion for my RG 827. Sounds awesome in basswood(IMHO), besides Ola Englund personally recommended it to me. Just posted NPD check my vid in it.
setsuna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #24
Tears Are My Bidet

Well, right now, I'm really set on the Full Shred. Since people are saying it'll react pretty well in Basswood and that it has a similar tone to the Evo, that's a draw to me. It also has a bit less output then the Evo, which I also see as a plus.
Unread 06-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #25
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Im interested to see how it pans out for you Jazz.

I have BKP Miracle Men in my 1527Z and love it. But its got me thinking...

...What else is out there

Im after that same FF/futuristic type of tone. Pretty vague, I know.
HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote