homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
O.o

morbider is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Crunchlab discolouration

So I was changing the strings on my JPXI earlier, and noticed that the rail was discoloured on the crunchlab where the gaps in the strings would be. The same thing is also happening on my other guitars with the crunchlab installed. It's proven quite hard to get a decent picture of it across the guitars. Hopefully you can see it in the pictures where I haven't circled it.

Now I am wondering is there anything I can do to fix this? Or prevent my naturally corrosive hands from doing this? Obviously wiping the guitar down after each use is a good way to prevent this, but I do that anyway, maybe I just haven't been thorough enough?

It's quite annoying for this to happen on a guitar that's not too old. I expected some wear and tear on the other two as they have been used heavily/gigged. But, these things happen. Any help would be appreciated.

morbider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
dead skin and sweat from your hands, i'm guessing?

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
O.o

morbider is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
dead skin and sweat from your hands, i'm guessing?
The sweat will be what's causing the chrome plating or whatever it is to come off, but I just wanna know if there's anything I can do to sort it out
morbider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

idunno is just really niceidunno is just really nice
a little metal polish on a rag should do ya fine. if not then hit it with 2000 grit paper first than dremel some polish on ther, look shiny as hell. but itll come back..

OR

You can force patina the whole damn thing with a little white vinnegar on a paper towel. wipe on wait...wipe off...repeat till a smooth gray color comes about. that will protect it and look more even.

OR

Do nothing, its not gunna look new forever, might be better off just accepting it now haha
idunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Hybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of light
I'm glad mine has the black bar. I hope you find a solution man. I would think since it's an oxidation kind of thing it'll keep coming back unless you baby it.

Bacchanalian Bliss (My Ska band):
http://www.facebook.com/blisstx (Facebook)

http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=223821
(SonicBids)

Hybrid138 is offline   Reply With Quote