homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #26
7slinger

Lorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
I wouldn't listen to any of them, seeing as all the people recommending them are doing so because they saw a post where Misha said he swapped what was in his guitars for them and haven't actually played them

IMO, the Tr00ch set would be too muddy for something with mahogany, so rule those out

Any examples of the exact tone you're going for?
Ha thats true but Nolly & a few who actually tried them recommended them to me. I just hate their design. Tone I'm looking for would be Necrophagist/Protest the Hero/Children of Bodom. Lots of clarity but still full sounding with chunky palms mutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakjob View Post
The OP didn't make mention of the type of amp they have. So, I'll assume they have some sort of modern high gain deal.

In which case, they probably don't really need a HOT pickup or any other type of PU associated with metal. I found my Aftermath to be quite low on the output which helps with clarity, but I wouldn't call it 'thick'.
Woops forgot to mention I'm using an Axe-Fx II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mniel8195 View Post
I have never understood the hot pickup phenomenon. Turn up the gain on your amp or on your boost pedal you will have better results in the tone and clarity department. for that guitar i would put in either holy divers, black dogs. I cant comment on the blackhawks because i have not used them.
I think I'm set on a Holy Diver set. I love how it sounds in my Swamp Ash Schecter.
Lorcan Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
SS.org Regular

Sdrizis89 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the Petrucci set(CL/LF) in my mahogany jackson soloist. Isn't muddy with my set-up and i love those pickups. Not saying it wouldn't be muddy in another rig, but it works with mine and i couldn't be happier with them.
Sdrizis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #28
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mniel8195 View Post
I have never understood the hot pickup phenomenon. Turn up the gain on your amp or on your boost pedal you will have better results in the tone and clarity department. for that guitar i would put in either holy divers, black dogs. I cant comment on the blackhawks because i have not used them.
The two effects are to,tally different. Hot pickups usually have most of their power focused in the mid range, adding to that that the fundamentals we're talking about in guitar largely sit in what we'd call the 'mid' range when discussing rhythm on a standard tuned guitar, what you're doing is hitting the front of the gain stage with a different eq shape, turning up the gain simply gives more of everything the tone stack puts out (or the input stage depending where the tone stack is).

In the instance of a dual rectifier for example, a low gain pickup with lots of gain sounds very mushy, because the gain structure of those amps is quite loose; a hot, medium to bright pickup into a lower gain setting feels a lot tighter and more controlled because you are determining how you what to distort the signal over the spectrum, rather than letting the input stage and subsequently the tone stack just do its thing.

Hot pickups make perfect sense in some instances, it's totally down to the exact setup and the sound and feel that you want. I personally like fairly hot (not x2n hot ) pickups into very low gain settings, it's the basis of my 'sound', using less powerful pickups and more gain just wouldn't be the same at all.

As for clarity, I personally prefer the clarity of ceramic magnets to most alnico compounds and power comes hand in hand with ceramics usually. I think I think of ceramic based pickups of being much more hi-fi and wider bandwidth.

To the OP, the Cold Sweat is a great rhythm pickup, its a little scoopy and non-intrusive but wonderfully clear and sounds great for panned hard left and hard right rhythms to back up more mid happy signals. The blaze from dimarzio and the lundgren m7 have similar qualities, but the lundgren is much harder sounding and the blaze much smoother. They'll all sit well in mahogany too. I like the idea of putting cold sweats in a guitar for those kind of rhythm tracks, I just don't have a spare guitar worthy of the expense

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #29
SS.org Regular

Koop is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a Holydiver in my Les Paul and it sounds fantastic! I love the Holydiver so much that I bought one for my Koa/Swamp Ash DC727 (which should be arriving soon)
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote