homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Video Comparison - Fender Custom 69/Texas Special, Dimarzio Area 67/61

Another video that no one but Mondrain will care about.

I ran through every position (including the bridge Humbucker) clean, mid-gain, and high gain on my strat, first with the Fender Custom 69 neck and Texas Special mid (my favorite "traditional" combo so far), and then with an Area 67 neck and Area 61 middle (Dimarzio's take on the same combo).

The biggest advantage with the dimarzios for me isn't tone or noise reduction, actually, but output - they seem to be a hair hotter to begin with, but they have a modern stagger and much less magnetic pull so they can be set much closer to the strings before tone or sustain suffer (in fact, sustain seems better than with the Fenders), for a substantial effective output boost.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
SS Contributor

jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Very nice man, I am a big fan of the Texas Special pickups as a whole. I have one in the bridge of my Tele and it rules! The Dimarzio Area's are great pickups as well.

Beard Sound Machines Jazzmaster
Beard Sound Machines Jazzcaster
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender AVRI '52 Reissue Telecaster
First Act Custom Shop Delia/Delia LS Hybrid

Vox AC30C2

@beardsoundmachines
lostswimmer.bandcamp.com
jordanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
The Texas Special middle pickup was all sorts of awesome, but the neck I wasn't wild about for anything than somewhat gritty lead work. To be fair, that's what it was wound for, but with any significant amount of gain I just didn't care for it.

The middle, however, kicks ass.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Unread 06-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bump for Drew. I liked it, and aside from the pickups I love his playing.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Fear the Polo!

Thanks Vince!

A couple days down the road, I really like these. The neck is very fat, round, but still has a bright snap to it when you dig in - very Jimi. The middle, meanwhile, absolutely slays for biting blues playing a la Stevie Ray. It's a very versatile set, is dead quiet, and is hot enough to make working with a bridg humbucker totally doable.

Unread 06-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Nice comparison Drew! I've noticed when we've compared notes on the various pickups / positions we've tried that I prefer a fatter neck pickup in general and thinner middle pickup while you seem to prefer the opposite. For some reason I just noticed that

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Fear the Polo!

I play a VERY thick, dark amp, however - even clean a rectifier has quite a lot of girth to it, and it only goes up from there. So, while I want a reasonably fat neck sound, I think the best way to get there given my rig is to start with a pretty bright pickup. Meanwhile, for moderately high gain stuff I rarely use the middle so I tend to want something optimized for a bit less gain, for bluesier stuff.

The funny thing is I've never really thought much about why I prefer certain thigs in different positions, and to me the end result seems to be a fatter neck pickup and a brighter middle.

Unread 06-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
SS Contributor

jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
An update. This inspired me to drop an Area 58/67/61 in my Strat and I couldn't be happier! Probably some of my favorite Strat pickups I've used.

Beard Sound Machines Jazzmaster
Beard Sound Machines Jazzcaster
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender AVRI '52 Reissue Telecaster
First Act Custom Shop Delia/Delia LS Hybrid

Vox AC30C2

@beardsoundmachines
lostswimmer.bandcamp.com
jordanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
Fear the Polo!

Cool, glad this helped! They're great pickups, you lose a little chime clean but they sound a little thicker than most traditional singlecoils in an appealing way with a bit of gain.