homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Grey

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Killswitch question.

Alrightie, so for my brithday, I may be buying a Gibson Melody Maker les paul. It has a single volume and single pickup.
I plan on adding some space invader decals and other gamer related stuff (retro gamer here)
I was going to ask if it is possible to use a killswitch in that volume pot. I want to take an arcade styled button and replace the volume knob with it. Will that work? I also plan to put a blue dimarzio d-activator in there.

Certainly not an android
r3tr0sp3ct1v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
I'm pretty sure it'll work, but you're gonna have some pretty high output since its just a killswitch and a couple of wires providing resistance. :P

If you still want a volume pot, I think Switchcraft makes a Pot/Killswitch hybrid, but I don't think it'll match the retro-style theme you're going for unless you replace the knob.
HeHasTheJazzHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Pots don't affect maximum output, they do however have a filtering effect so in actual fact your pickup will come out a little brighter than usual owing to the lack of pot. Well, quite a bit brighter actually.

It'll work, but I'd consider having the volume pot just hidden in the guitar or something for the tonic benefits, I can imagine a D-Activator sounding a little hairy with zero low pass applied.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Petrucci Wannabe

Jet9 is a jewel in the rough
Get a killswitch volume pot instead.

"Sometimes the milk can hurt you, if you put it on your cereal before you smell the plastic container."
-Frank Zappa
Jet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Banned

The Only Factor is a jewel in the rough
^

This is what I was going to recommend you try and use. They come in 3 different versions - 250K, 500K and the 25K for actives. You can find them on Ebay for about $30 give or take with shipping.
The Only Factor is offline   Reply With Quote