homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mordacain
  • 1 Post By Mordacain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Augminished Studio

Augminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recommend me a couple of Single Coil Pickups

So I am looking for two single coil pickups to put in my LTD ST-203FR guitar. The guitar has an alder body with a rosewood fretboard and a maple neck. I was originally thinking about putting a BC-1 in the center and a Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 in the neck. I wanted to try a single coil sized humbucker for the middle. Maybe a Cruiser?

For this guitar 90% of the cleans will be from the neck and most of the gain will be the bridge (Dominion) and the center pup. The dominion has a lot of mids and not a ton of output but a good amount. The middle I want to be tight and articulate and the neck I want to be jangly for cleans.

I would like to stay with dimarzio. I don't think mixing dimarzio with Seymour is the best idea but if someone has an idea I am up for it.

Here is the NGD: NGD: LTD ST-203FR Distressed (Dominion Content)

Thanks Guys

Check out my Facebook: Augminished-Studio

Augminished is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
no lack of headroom

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
I'd recommend either a 54 Pro or Area 58 for the neck. I'd stick with something more vintage for the middle as well if you are looking for a nice clean to use in conjunction with the neck (for more traditional stratty out of phase tones). The Heavy Blues 2 might be a bit too mid heavy for the neck. I haven't tried it yet, but I actually have a couple might be trying for just that purpose on one of my strats.

The Cruiser is vintage-sounding but with a touch more mids. Personally, I think they are pretty nice, but in the mid position the Area 67 is just fantastic in my experience. The Area's handle gain better than traditional single coils but still not as well as full-size humbuckers. If you want something for a gainer application in the middle, perhaps a Fast Track 1 might be your best option.
Dead Undead and Augminished like this.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Augminished Studio

Augminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of light
Alright thanks man. Have you ever tried the True Velevet? It seems more vintage. Is it jangly? I was also wondering about the injector? I am kind of lost in the single coil world

Right now I am liking the looks of the Area 58 for the neck and either an area 67 or the cruiser in the middle.

Unread 05-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
no lack of headroom

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augminished View Post
Alright thanks man. Have you ever tried the True Velevet? It seems more vintage. Is it jangly? I was also wondering about the injector? I am kind of lost in the single coil world

Right now I am liking the looks of the Area 58 for the neck and either an area 67 or the cruiser in the middle.
I actually have tried the True Velvet. Its a decent single coil but personally I found it a bit thin-sounding for my taste. I actually have also tried the Red and Blue Velvets as well and while the Red Velvet is kinda cool, it is all midrange.

Personally I would go with the Area 67 for the middle over the standard cruiser. The middle position in any strat or HSH is very sensitive to the midrange as those frequencies are more pronounced there, much as treble is more pronounced in the bridge and bass more pronounced in the neck. I like either a more neutral pickup there or one with slightly relaxed midrange. The Area 67 as more prominent treble response and relaxed bass so its cuts and doesn't flub out like a more bass / midrange pickup would.

The Cruiser bridge also has a bit of a midrange scoop, but I think its a touch too pronounced in Alder and along with the slightly accentuated bass, it makes things a touch too muddy for tastes.

Bear in mind, those are all just my personal tonal tastes, and I like pickups that complement the natural resonance of a guitar and don't necessarily sound the same regardless of the guitar they are in (say like EMG S do).
Augminished likes this.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Augminished Studio

Awesome thanks man. Should be picking up a Area 58 and a Area 67 tomorrow! I think it will a be a good place to start based on your description and other info I have read.

I agree. I love pickups that let the tone of the wood show through and not the other way around.