homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By ConnorGilks
  • 1 Post By xeonblade
  • 2 Post By MF_Kitten
  • 1 Post By xeonblade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

xeonblade is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High pass filter built into guitar?

What do you guys think about that?

And what would be better? Two 1nF capacitors in parallel and 1MΩ resistor or 1nF capacitor and 2MΩ resistor?

Or even 0.0033uF capacitor with 500KΩ resistor?
xeonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Someone actually posted the recipe for this a good while back. Called it the "tightness control" or something.

I really want to see a crossover built in myself. Low end from pickups + high end from bridge pickup, for example, with an internal control to change the crossover frequency.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
I suck at guitar.

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
Personally I'd rather have to take things out than to have a built-in EQ and have to try and add things in. Just my opinion. I'd rather give the sound guy, engineer - myself even - all of my signal and then carve out things either through outboard gear or post-processing.
Jessy, Dead Undead and Baelzebeard like this.
ConnorGilks is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Banned

Jessy can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorGilks View Post
Personally I'd rather have to take things out than to have a built-in EQ and have to try and add things in. Just my opinion. I'd rather give the sound guy, engineer - myself even - all of my signal and then carve out things either through outboard gear or post-processing.
Definitely. Let Mainstage or Logic's plugins do it so it's nondestructive to the recording and the minimalism of the instrument.
Jessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Bangs head here

Imbrium998 is just really niceImbrium998 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
While I would normally agree with you on this one (less is better), I have a Jackson Professional that has a mid-bass boost circuit in it, and that is icing on the cake for me. You might have something worth repeating.
Imbrium998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Ok the point was cutting the crap before signal hits the amp. Nothing I asked was really answered. And I'm talking about passive filter.
asilayamazing likes this.
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
I suck at guitar.

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonblade View Post
Ok the point was cutting the crap before signal hits the amp. Nothing I asked was really answered. And I'm talking about passive filter.
That's what I'm saying, passive or not, it's not adjustable. That is an issue. You may be cutting some good stuff. Even if you do a typical roll-off from 100 down, you may want that back if you find yourself in a band with no bass, or a band with just one guitar, you may want to roll off from say 80 down instead. In theory it's a great idea, in practice it's not as great.
ConnorGilks is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

in-pursuit is just really nicein-pursuit is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
^^ it wouldn't be that hard to wire up a switch for different combinations and to also bypass the filter altogether if need be. I say wire it up with a couple different combos and see what sounds best, my only concern would be that changing amps may force you to change the values of your caps and resistors but like I said it wouldn't be a big deal to switch them out for different value components. you could maybe even use a push/pull variable resistor with a three way switch for the caps, would be fun to mess around with.
in-pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

Quote:
That's what I'm saying, passive or not, it's not adjustable. That is an issue. You may be cutting some good stuff. Even if you do a typical roll-off from 100 down, you may want that back if you find yourself in a band with no bass, or a band with just one guitar, you may want to roll off from say 80 down instead. In theory it's a great idea, in practice it's not as great.
Wired up with a switch bro. I'm asking for technical stuff and u just just keep talking about other stuff.

What would be better? Two 1nF capacitors in parallel and 1MΩ resistor or 1nF capacitor and 2MΩ resistor?Or even 0.0033uF capacitor with 500KΩ resistor?
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Not really an issue, man. This is before the distortion, not after it. If you can run a tubescreamer in front of your amp and still get a hefty sound, then a high pass filter should be no problem.

edit: This is what you're looking for, OP: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/...-bass-cut.html
AxeHappy and xeonblade like this.

What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
Unread 05-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
Not really an issue, man. This is before the distortion, not after it. If you can run a tubescreamer in front of your amp and still get a hefty sound, then a high pass filter should be no problem.

edit: This is what you're looking for, OP: The 'Tight' control - simple passive bass cut
Okay, that helped with resistor/capacitor values. I've seen someone post the same stuff but he wanted to use 10k resistor and two 0.1uF and people told him not to because that was too low for guitar but nobody explained why. 1nF capacitor and 2MΩ resistor does the same FREQUENCY cut but with different R and C values.
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #12
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Switch your tone control around so instead of having the pot in series and the cap to ground it's the other way, and assuming a 500k pot you need about 3nf cap so that when you turn the pot to max R the roloff's about 100Hz, you wouldnt wanna go much higher than that.

If you're using a switch its very simple.

Chose scale of R in the 10^4-10^5R orders, and plug your resistor value and cutoff into this:
1/(2*pi*R*f) and it'll give you a capacitance value.

Your cap will be in series with your other pot when you engage it, and in s/p with your picks so your cutoff won't be exact what you wanted, probably a little lower.

Just buy a bunch of them round that sort of value and see which you prefer.

Alternatively you could use a voltage follower but you'll have to hook up a battery. This would be the cleanest, most precise way though and would be like having a TS in your guitar lol.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
Switch your tone control around so instead of having the pot in series and the cap to ground it's the other way, and assuming a 500k pot you need about 3nf cap so that when you turn the pot to max R the roloff's about 100Hz, you wouldnt wanna go much higher than that.

If you're using a switch its very simple.

Chose scale of R in the 10^4-10^5R orders, and plug your resistor value and cutoff into this:
1/(2*pi*R*f) and it'll give you a capacitance value.

Your cap will be in series with your other pot when you engage it, and in s/p with your picks so your cutoff won't be exact what you wanted, probably a little lower.

Just buy a bunch of them round that sort of value and see which you prefer.

Alternatively you could use a voltage follower but you'll have to hook up a battery. This would be the cleanest, most precise way though and would be like having a TS in your guitar lol.
Building my own guitar so I have none to try it out in. I won't use tone knob, I'll just use 3,3nF cap and 500kOhm Resistor and see how it works.
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #14
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
3.3nF is the value I got too.

And you will be able to try it out once its on, haha, just buy a couple of other (smaller ideally) caps and when you have it all set up, if you find you need a little more low end when they switch is engaged just make the switch.

TBH if I were building a guitar, electronics would be the last thing I was worrying about.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

Unread 05-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Quote:
3.3nF is the value I got too.

And you will be able to try it out once its on, haha, just buy a couple of other (smaller ideally) caps and when you have it all set up, if you find you need a little more low end when they switch is engaged just make the switch.

TBH if I were building a guitar, electronics would be the last thing I was worrying about.
I got EVERYTHING else covered.

Unread 05-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #16
Electrifying

I mean I wouldn't worry until it was actually built and sitting in front of me beyond deciding whether I wants hums, singles, p90's and how many

Also if that's strandberg hardware, you'll want the tuning pegs off the bottom of the body or you won't be able to use them.

Unread 05-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

Quote:
I mean I wouldn't worry until it was actually built and sitting in front of me beyond deciding whether I wants hums, singles, p90's and how many

Also if that's strandberg hardware, you'll want the tuning pegs off the bottom of the body or you won't be able to use them.
It's kinda old pic of model, ill cut some wood in the place where the tuners go so I can fit my fingers to turn it.
Rook likes this.
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
Set up us the bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonblade View Post
It's kinda old pic of model, ill cut some wood in the place where the tuners go so I can fit my fingers to turn it.
you can "disguise" it by making a bevel on the rear end, so you naturally get a gap between tuners and body.

OR you could move the whole string length towards the back until the tuners are all off the body.

-Anthony
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
you can "disguise" it by making a bevel on the rear end, so you naturally get a gap between tuners and body.

OR you could move the whole string length towards the back until the tuners are all off the body.
Don't want them to stick out from body because I play sitting and I hold my guitar between legs. That would mean tuners would be constantly poking my right leg.