homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Blue1970Cutlass is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Radio Transmissions on Guitar

I tried a google search but almost everything I found was about getting shielded cables and/or repositioning/grounding amps... so let me be clear

I own 19 electric guitars and only have the issue on one of them so I know its the guitar that's the problem and not any of the rest of my equipment. Another clue -- I get the radio signals both when this guitar is plugged into my amp AND when I'm running it directly into my mixer (again, common denominator = this particular guitar)

A bit more background -- it is a Fender Stratocaster -- but it never had this problem until a couple of days ago when I replaced the stock pickups with a set of Seymour Duncan AS-1 Blackouts

To add to my confusion, I also have SD Blackout Singles in a different guitar, and that guitar does NOT pick up radio signals

Any suggestions? I am at a loss

P.S. the signal is LOUD, as in this guitar is unplayable now
Blue1970Cutlass is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

Necrocous is on a distinguished road
I've had this problem a couple times myself... A bad ground anywhere in the loop (guitar to pedals to amp to wall) with cause shortwave radio to be received. I would check the work you just did first to rule out any wiring mishaps and guitars with trems usually have a wire going out to the back and soldered to the spring seat, take a look at that too.
Another thing I always use is an electronic noise filter at the amp plug, it cuts static noise that may be coming in through the power source.
After that my guess would be the pups themselves, could possibly be defective.
good luck
Necrocous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

xeonblade is a jewel in the rough
Free radio, why complain?
xeonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Shred till your dead

SpaceDock is a splendid one to beholdSpaceDock is a splendid one to beholdSpaceDock is a splendid one to beholdSpaceDock is a splendid one to beholdSpaceDock is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
This is a shielding problem with the pickups. If you have that foil on the pickguard, remove it. The blackouts active circuit doesn't ground like a passive set, you need to cut the wire that goes to the trem and not have the pots grounding with each other ( common problem with pickguard foil ).

SpaceDock is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Blue1970Cutlass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDock View Post
This is a shielding problem with the pickups. If you have that foil on the pickguard, remove it. The blackouts active circuit doesn't ground like a passive set, you need to cut the wire that goes to the trem and not have the pots grounding with each other ( common problem with pickguard foil ).
Dang, I thought you had something here... I knew not to connect the old ground wire but hadn't thought of the shielding... but, alas -- after removing it I am still picking up Twins games
Blue1970Cutlass is online now   Reply With Quote