homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By VBCheeseGrater
  • 1 Post By Stealthdjentstic
  • 1 Post By Go To Bed Jessica

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Jason_Clement is just really niceJason_Clement is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! intonation!

I just bought a Schecter SLS C-7 and replaced the 56 with a 60 so I could tune the B to A without losing the "tight" feeling I like. I went to intonate, 'cause obviously the 60 was sharp...but I didn't have enough slack! So I flipped the tom saddle thing for the lowest string around, and tried to intonate it again. Still not enough slack! that low A is still sharp.

What can I do? Adjust the truss rod? change the height of the TOM ? thanks guys
Jason_Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

s4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I can't think of anything else but a compensated nut.

Earvana - Compensated Tuning Systems for Guitars
ESP 7-string Shelf Nut (48 mm and E-E 1.594), $35.
s4tch is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

Hmmm, I'll look into it!
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wait, what do you mean by slack? You need to move the saddle back or forth to adjust intonation, not the truss rod.

I think you can buy shorter saddles for ToM's if the saddle you have won't move far back enough, although not being able to move your saddle back enough for a low A would be a HUGE mistake on Schecter's part which I can't see them making...
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Would going back to a 56 and raising the action a bit work?
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

s4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
This won't save the 7th string from being loose. Even on a baritone, I wouldn't tune a .056 to A. But that's your guitar and your preferences, this might work for you eventually.

Anyway, TOM bridges do have a reputation, intonation may be hard to set when tuning down. A hipshot style regular bridge has more room for the saddle, TOMs have stronger limitations. Maybe that's the case for your guitar, and either you'll have to go back to 56 and cope with a loose string, or you'll have to try a compensated nut.
s4tch is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Umm no, why would he need a compensated nut? Just use a thicker string, if there's enough room to intonate (which I imagine there would be for a 7 string ToM ) then you're good to go, if not buy a shorter saddle. You most definately DO NOT need a compensated nut.
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
Vaya Con Cornholio

Pikka Bird is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
^It seems to me that the problem is that he HAS a thicker string, and NOT enough room to intonate, so a compensated nut might be just what he needs. I personally think they're very nice in any case...

I once saw someone on another forum make a saddle like this:

That's something to look into. I don't think you can buy them anywhere, so contact a machinist if you can.
Pikka Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

I lowered the TOM bridge and managed to reset it all up and work that was a bit random though...
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
Why do you keep mentioning action like it has anything to do with the intonation? Move the bridge up or down its still gonna have the same problem...

Guess im glad whatever your problem actually was has been resolved..

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
^^^ Well , it does slightly change the intonation when you raise/lower your bridge, but still agreed, I can't imagine it'd be enough to make a difference if you're saddle is running out of room.
TRENCHLORD likes this.

Ibanez ARZ307, ICEMAN IC400, RG921F-BK
Frknstrt of Doom, MIM FSR Strat
POD HD Pro, Mesa 50/50, Recto 2x12,1x12,Theile
Randal Diavlo V30 1x12
VBCheeseGrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

broj15 is just really nicebroj15 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I could be wrong but think what he means is because he can't achieve proper intonation with a larger string then he could just use a small string but with higher action, thus decreasing/ eliminating fret buzz.

"It's all jagged and jaded, but it suits us. We just fake it through."
broj15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

So I've got my guitar intonated now, A-E-A-D-G-B-e. It's a standard 10-46 set with a low 60 for the "A". My new problem is that the lowest string simply sounds flat. Like not musically, but flat as in dead. Lifeless. Now the 60 isn't from the set, I just threw it on while trying tensions and decided I liked it more than some of the heavier ones I had in mind.

Could it be a dead string? Is it something to do with action? I am unsure, I have never encountered this before. Any help is greatly appreciated?

EDIT: for reference, it's a 26.5 inch scale, TOM bridge with string thru body.
Unread 04-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
Banned

I use a .59 for a low A on my 26.5 and it sounds fine, maybe its an old string.
Jason_Clement likes this.
Unread 04-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
I use a .59 for a low A on my 26.5 and it sounds fine, maybe its an old string.
Whatever it was, it was solved by changing it to a 59 out of a d'addario set. in the process of switching all the factory strings now. Thanks for all the help guys!
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Go To Bed Jessica is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
...and that is just one of the reasons that I hate ToM bridges. That, and the fact that they tear the side of my picking hand to pieces.

For future reference, I think Schaller make a replacement for the TOM (called a roller bridge iirc) which has a greater range of adjustment available on it.
Jason_Clement likes this.
Go To Bed Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote