homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shanejohnson02
  • 1 Post By AngstRiddenDreams
  • 2 Post By TonyFlyingSquirrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Moo
ss.org Regular

Moo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dimarzio Evolution 7 "problem"

Hey guys,
I installed a Dimarzio Evo 7 in my Schecter Jeff Loomis(as a bridge PU and the dimarzio blaze as a neck pu) a couple months ago because I didn't like the sound of the EMGs because they sounded to harsh when it came to soloing and stuff like that.
After several months i realized that those Evos aren't really "agressive"-sounding or.. well.. at least not enough for my taste.
That's when I also started thinking about changing them also i was quite satisfied with the lead sound. I
spent the last week of my holidays in a studio and even the sound engineer noticed that there's some "agressiveness" missing when listening to the guitar sound itself, which he blamed my amp for (i'm playing a ENGL savage 120 which doesn't seem to have that much "bass"/"balls" - but nonetheless I like the distortion a lot)

Is there any bridge PU you could recomend me that gives me clarity and at the same time enough thickness/bass for a nice rhytm sound for heavier metal. (which has a neck that pu gives me a clear and "unmuddy" sound? I hate playing solos with a neck pu that obviously has a lack of clearity and just sounds like a muddy something)
I recently thought about giving BKP a try?
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Hammer of the Gods

shanejohnson02 is just really niceshanejohnson02 is just really nice
wait wait wait...you're playing a loomis with an evolution into a savage...and it's not aggressive enough?

charlessalvacion likes this.

shanejohnson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Moo
ss.org Regular

well... there's a lot of bass missing that lets the whole thing sound ... weak (?)
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
n______n

Choop is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
The evo is a really mids-heavy pickup. I didn't even really like it all that much when I played it through my dual recto. If you want a more punchy sound in the lows there are a lot of options really, you say you just want some more bass/balls but also a nice lead tone? As far as dimarzio goes I'd recommend the Crunchlab, or even a blaze custom (which would likely have the sound you want. It's got the mids but more bassy growl than I thought the evo didn't have).
Choop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Blaze Custom

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Levi79 is a glorious beacon of lightLevi79 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
You sound like the perfect candidate for a BKP Warpig. Or I found the Aftermath to be quite bassy.
Levi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
Thundercrafter

Dead Undead is just really niceDead Undead is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can see that the Evo doesn't seem "agressive" enough, especially in a guitar like that. Whenever I've used Evos in guitars with brighter woods like ash and alder and maple, they seemed kinda wimpy and thin. They kick major ass in darker/warmer woods though. I agree on the Blaze suggestion, or maybe a D-Sonic.

"if everyone thought i was as funny as i think i am, everyone would quote me in their signatures" - Grand Moff Tim
Dead Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
+1 on the D-Sonic

Unread 04-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Hammer of the Gods

shanejohnson02 is just really niceshanejohnson02 is just really nice
I guess what threw me off was the whole combination. Bright guitar + mid/bright pickup + an amp that's widely regarded to be pretty aggressive.

I only really have experience with dimarzios, and I would imagine the Blaze Custom, D-Sonic, or Crunch Lab would sound fine. I would also suggest dialing back the gain to get more of the guitar's voice coming through.

shanejohnson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
is really Sasquatch.

AngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Change the pots?
Michael T likes this.

I just wasted your time.
AngstRiddenDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #11
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngstRiddenDreams View Post
Change the pots?
here's a good thread on pots and how they affect your tone LINK

ICEMAN IC400, RG921F-BK,ARZ307, Frknstrt of Doom
POD HD Pro, Mesa 50/50, 2xDiavlo V30 1x12 Cabs (awesome cabs!)
VBCheeseGrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Cherokee Warrior

TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've had great results on my RG7620 using the EVO-7 in the bridge and the Blaze neck.

The Evo's are fairly flat with a slight mid-notch.

The Engle's can be mid heavy & lack some low end if you set everything flat.
You may wish to start out with a flat amp setting, then try cutting frequencies rather than adding. If you need more low end, try cutting some mids and/or highs as adding will just add gain, unless gain is what you need.

I'm always leary of adding more gain for recording as it just sucks clarity.
Konfyouzd and Angus Clark like this.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=268162
Seven Strings to rule them all, Seven Strings to find them, Seven Strings to bring them all and in the music bind them.
TonyFlyingSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Moo
ss.org Regular

thank you

yeah maybe its just the combination of the three that makes it sound that way...

yesterday I decided to write an e-mail to BKP and they suggested a set of Nailbombs.
Does anyone have any experience with a guitar with similar wood and that pickup?

...and I'll definately try to check out reviews of the D-sonic
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
Objects in Space

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I threw an Evo in the bridge of my old 7421. I ultimately swapped it for a D-Sonic and was much, much happier with the sound. I liked the basic character of the high registers with the Evo - sounded kinda screamy - but got too bright fairly easily. I could never get the low end to have enough oomph ever though, it just wasn't there.
asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post

...and I'll definately try to check out reviews of the D-sonic
Blaze Custom is slightly lower output than the Evo and has a ton of meat/grind to it.