homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By yellowv
  • 1 Post By ForThisGift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

theronaldchase is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Baritone replacement pickups.

I just bought a PRS Mike Mushok signature baritone but find the stock pickups a little lacking, probably because of my tone snobbery. Any ideas of what I should replace them with? Passive is preferred. I've never been a big fan of active. Versatility is also a big concern.
theronaldchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

ForThisGift is just really niceForThisGift is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What tuning will you be using? Obviously, if you are making use of the baritone scale for tuning down, you will want something with tight and fast tracking bass response. Also, most of what I have read has leaned towards a slightly lower output.

Personally, I just took the plunge on some Dimarzio Dominions for my MMM1. I should have it ready to go in a few days tuned A-A. I talked to Nick from The Axe Palace about them prior to buying and he gave me the recommendation.
ForThisGift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
the:pawn.project

Rap Hat is just really niceRap Hat is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I have the same guitar, tuned to drop f#, and I tossed a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge. Made it sound heavy as hell while still letting me jump from sludge doom to prog metal. Still haven't decided on a neck pickup, but I may try a Liquifire to see how well it matches.

Definitely agree that the stock pups suck. Way too muddy for my tastes, and it was nigh impossible to get a good tone at f#.

Check out my soundcloud: Slothful Bong
Rap Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

I'm probably going to tune it B-B for the most part. I have a set of Lace Alumitone deathbuckers in one of my standard scale guitars and am considering those for my baritone but I haven't decided yet.
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I use a crunchlab on my baritone (drop A or B) and it's pretty damn tight and clear. Oh, and it's got a mahogany body.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Turd Ferguson

yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.yellowv harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I also like the D-Sonic in a baritone.
Rap Hat likes this.
yellowv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

biggator is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by theronaldchase View Post
I'm probably going to tune it B-B for the most part. I have a set of Lace Alumitone deathbuckers in one of my standard scale guitars and am considering those for my baritone but I haven't decided yet.
I just put alumitones in a baritone.. very cool. I was originally going to try deathbuckers, but decided to try the lower output standard ones first (since I have blackouts in my other baritone - I've got 'high output' covered).

As you know - the alumitones are really articulate.. good on a bari, no mud.
biggator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
the:pawn.project

Rap Hat is just really niceRap Hat is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
I just put alumitones in a baritone.. very cool. I was originally going to try deathbuckers, but decided to try the lower output standard ones first (since I have blackouts in my other baritone - I've got 'high output' covered).

As you know - the alumitones are really articulate.. good on a bari, no mud.
Yeah, I'm using the Xbar in an 8-string and it sounds pretty awesome for the E1 and B1. Honestly I find it pretty high output too, moreso with raw levels than my Blackouts or EMG 45dc were. But the lack of compression means you can use all that dynamic range.

I'm waffling on getting a db and aluma90 for my 6er baritone, I know they'll sound awesome but I want to see how I like a neck Lace pup first.

E: Are the 6 string Lace bars EMG or passive sized? That was actually my first concern, since the XBar and Deathbar ERG ones are direct EMG replacements (which I assume will need routing for a passive equipped ERG).

Check out my soundcloud: Slothful Bong
Rap Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

ForThisGift is just really niceForThisGift is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I got the MMM1 back with the Dominions and they sound phenominal in both Drop G and A to A.

They are tight and articulate and sound great with the extended scale. I would definitely recommend them if passive routes are a concern.
Rap Hat likes this.
ForThisGift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
KrovaTroN

krovx is a jewel in the rough
I have a CL / LF set already, what spacing does the PRS need? I am hoping an F spaced CL and reegular spaced LF would do the trick

" Wisdom begins in Wonder" - Socrates (Quite a contrast to the modern conception that wisdom begins in doubt.)
krovx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

zilla is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a Duncan alternative 8 in my mushok se. Love it!
zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
@ESPImperium

ESPImperium is a glorious beacon of lightESPImperium is a glorious beacon of lightESPImperium is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ive had the following in my SE Mushok Bari:

Crunch Lab/Liquifire = Liquifire was great, it was round and bold with a little grain, the Crunchlab with my rig was just mud at B Standard and Drop A.

Norton/Air Norton = Versitle setup, however the Norton mushed a little too much for me, the Air Norton was good, similar to the Liquifire.

SH-5 Custom/SH-1 Jazz = Similar to the Norton, however the Jazz is really underpowered for what i need.

Air Norton/36th Anniversary (Bridge) = Air Norton in the bridge this time is the closest ive came to what i wanting, enough gain but also clean enough, only problem is that on cleans its a bit peaky. The 36th Anniversary bridge pickup in the neck is what i need in this axe, a almost Burstbucker #2 performance, liquid and rich in low end with a sound isnt wooden like a SH-2 59'.

EMG 85 = Had this in the bridge only, with the stock neck pickup, and it was a freaking monster, probably the only active id have in the bridge with a 60 in the neck.

However, ill say this about going the active way, if you have to ream the knob holes on the Silverburst finish, you may be creating a short thru the paint as ive tried to put a 85/60 in it after i reamed the control holes and it was shorting out the actives, but with passives this does not happen somehow.
ESPImperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

zilla is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPImperium

However, ill say this about going the active way, if you have to ream the knob holes on the Silverburst finish, you may be creating a short thru the paint as ive tried to put a 85/60 in it after i reamed the control holes and it was shorting out the actives, but with passives this does not happen somehow.

Wat?
zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #14
ENGL Fanboy ;)

StivO2005 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
BKP Painkiller = win.
StivO2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

mitchybang is a jewel in the rough
BK - Black Dog! Excellent string separation and holds the bottom end nicely
mitchybang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Wrecklyss is just really niceWrecklyss is just really nice
Maybe try some Tom Anderson H series pickups. Clear as a bell, articulate, and super versatile.

capeterson7x@gmail.com
Custom tour ready speaker cabinets for instruments and live sound.
Authorized dealer for: Celestion, Eminence, Jensen, JBL/Selenium, Sica, Peavey, RCF, B&C, and more.
Wrecklyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

ZURENNARRH is on a distinguished road
Hi all, first post here... I just bought the PRS Mike Mushok and plan to change to pickups, can anyone tell me if any routing needed to be done so they fit? I was thinking maybe some EMG hets or something similar

Thanks in advance!
ZURENNARRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

HanShock is a jewel in the rough
Versatility is also a big concern...hmm

You should try LACE Alumitone Humbucker or Deathbucker...sounds great not only clean and dist but also in split .

If you have budget , Lundgren M6 must try!!!
HanShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Is it sad that I started this thread almost a year ago and still haven't decided on what pickups to put in my bari?

I am highly considering a set of bare knuckles as I just put some in my 7 string and fell in love with the tone.