homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-28-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

MiPwnYew is just really niceMiPwnYew is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Warpig vs SD Invader vs Aftermath vs SD Distortion *VIDEO*

I didn't see anyone post this up yet so I figured I would

sol niger 333 likes this.
MiPwnYew is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
came and went

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warpig and Distortion are my picks on every style in this vid.
Warpig being #1 to my ears.
sol niger 333 likes this.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Disciple of Djod

Vostre Roy is a name known to allVostre Roy is a name known to allVostre Roy is a name known to allVostre Roy is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Personnal order:
#1: SD Invaders (Damn, I was impressed, thought that the Warpig would come first)
#2: BKP Warpig (Like I said, thought they were going to be first, still I loved them)
#3: SD Distortion (Actually, almost on the same level that the Warpig, lacks a little of definition maybe)
#4: BKP Aftermath (Sounded thin but razor sharp, missing something compared to the other)

The death metal was pretty blackish, at first I listened to this video without watching it and I thought it was a black metal part ahaha. The skater/punk part was surprisingly good lol

"Solid-state - A component that has been specifically designed to make a guitar amplifier sound bad. Compared to tubes, these devices can have a very long lifespan, which guarantees that your amplifier will retain it's thin, lifeless, and buzzy sound for a long time to come."

ABSURD APOSTLE OF DJOD
Vostre Roy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

xeonblade is a jewel in the rough
Damn, Aftermath sounds like it was put further from strings compared to other pickups.
I've heard a lot vids with Aftermaths sounding like they needed more gain, what's up with that?
xeonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
7slinger

Lorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
SD distortion sounded the best IMO although their is little difference and some simple EQ could have them all sounding similar. I must look into some Seymour Duncans 7s. They aren't to popular around here.
asilayamazing likes this.
Lorcan Ward is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Cogito, ergo bardus.

Quitty is just really niceQuitty is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawnacrol View Post
SD distortion sounded the best IMO although their is little difference and some simple EQ could have them all sounding similar. I must look into some Seymour Duncans 7s. They aren't to popular around here.

The Duncan Invader is a surprising pup. It's got a mass ton of low end, but is actually surprisingly bright - and arguably the chuggiest pickup i've heard.
You can look up Ola Englund's comparison too with a big bunch o' duncans, and most of them (if not all) in basswood guitars.

"I WANT TO .... A UNICORN IN THE ASS WITH IT AND IMPREGNATE IT WITH MY METAL SEED!" ~FretWizard88

...But dignity is difficult to maintain,
stamina requires constant upkeep,
repetition is boring
and you pay for grace.
Quitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

GallCu is headed in the right direction.
The Invader is probably my favorite pickup of all time. It has great low mids.
GallCu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

demonlord78 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Interesting! I'd have to say...

1. Warpig - Sounded much fuller and balanced than the rest.
2. SD Invader - I had one of these in my seven and I can honestly say that this thing shreds. So much focused low end and tight mids. Only drawback was that my cleans were hindered a bit due to it's heaviness.
3. SD Distortion - This was on par with the warpig with the exception that the mids seemed a little scooped which make it seem like the guitar is undergained. Nothing a little eq can't fix.
4. Aftermath - Just didn't dig this one. Perhaps this would be more suited for rock.
TRENCHLORD likes this.
demonlord78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

KiD Cudi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeonblade View Post
Damn, Aftermath sounds like it was put further from strings compared to other pickups.
I've heard a lot vids with Aftermaths sounding like they needed more gain, what's up with that?
It's just that the Aftermath is a VERY tight pickup and eats alot more gain than most pickups which means you can use more gain without out losing clarity/aggression.
KiD Cudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Purelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to all
its funny cause i just replaced the alnico warpig in my les paul for the SD distortion and it sounds killer. the distortion used to be in my ibanez and i seriously hated how it sounded. the distortion just kills in my les paul. i was shocked too.

i have an aftermath going into a mahogany seven string im building along with a warpig neck i hope it works well.

i loved the warpig in the bridge but the damn thing was so high output. seriously people underestimate that thing. still the response is wonderful sounds great i just missed something. the distortions got this amazing low mid chunk and has a spongy bottom for that really satisfying chug. i seriously just spent 5 minutes just chugging cause i loved the sound lol.
Purelojik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

guy in latvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
wow, im suprised, i cant believe how much more i like the distortion! for the type of gritty raw tone that i like, the distortion is far superior sounding to the others!

does anyone know the specs of Keith's S7? I can see its a maple neck with a rosewood board. what about the body?
guy in latvia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

rippedflesh89 is just really nicerippedflesh89 is just really nice
1.) Aftermaths - i just love how tight they sound... incredible pickups... although i think i like my miracle mans a tad more, but its hard to compare pickups when the aftermaths are in a mahogany body guitar and my miracle mans are in a basswood body guitar.

2.) Warpigs - i love how pissed off they sound, yet they stay pretty tight and focused.

3.) Distortions - maybe even more aggressive sounding than the warpig, but it seemed a bit too "fizzy" for me

4.) Invaders - never really liked these pickups... this video just clarifies that for me... too fat and muddy what for i use them for
rippedflesh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Necky379 is just really niceNecky379 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
1) tied between warpig and invader, depends on the style. owned invaders never owned or played warpigs
2)distortion, a bit too harsh for me here but i've used them before, in certain guitars they slay imo
3)aftermath, doesn't do anything for me just based on the clips never played them in person

Necky379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Nice video, I need another 7 with a Warpig

1. Warpig (very balanced!)
2. Aftermath (nice and tight)
3. Invader (more low end emphasized)
4. Distortion (very fizzy?)
kylendm likes this.

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

Animus is headed in the right direction.
Yeah I saw this yesterday. Pretty much convinced me Bareknuckle pickups are not worth the extreme markup and hype they get. They sound good but I don't know if they sound 3 or 4 times more good.

And the Kemper sounds awesome!
Animus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

shaggydogJV has a spectacular aura about
I think I enjoyed the aftermath over any of the others to be honest. The invader was a close second, with the warpig and distortion tying for last place. Something about those two were completely off putting for me.
shaggydogJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Pretty much convinced me Bareknuckle pickups are not worth the extreme markup and hype they get.
seriously???

this video proves it to me that they ARE worth the money... to me, the BKPs just sound a lot more crisp and organic than the other two... whether its the aggressive punch of warpig or the crazy tightness of the aftermath...

ive played quite a bit of different pickups and once i got my d-activators, i didnt think i would ever find a better pickup.... hell, i thought they were so good that there was no way the BKPs would be worth 2x the price... but i had no idea what to get one christmas, there was nothing i really wanted or needed... so i figured i would try some BKPs, and needless to say, i will probably never use another brand again (unless its a q-tuner or lundgren, those have me pretty curious as well)..

thats my two cents
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
SS Contributor

cyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Thanks for the comparisons Keith, wherever you are.

I'm not surprised at all that the Warpig was one of my favs from this test, since it is one of my favorites regardless. What is surprising is how well that Duncan Distortion performed, that tone is right up there with the Warpig in this test IMO. I've never used one before, but it will definitely be on my radar now. Invader sounded nice as well. Aftermath? Not my cup of tea at all.
cyril v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Animus is headed in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedflesh89 View Post
seriously???

this video proves it to me that they ARE worth the money... to me, the BKPs just sound a lot more crisp and organic than the other two... whether its the aggressive punch of warpig or the crazy tightness of the aftermath...

ive played quite a bit of different pickups and once i got my d-activators, i didnt think i would ever find a better pickup.... hell, i thought they were so good that there was no way the BKPs would be worth 2x the price... but i had no idea what to get one christmas, there was nothing i really wanted or needed... so i figured i would try some BKPs, and needless to say, i will probably never use another brand again (unless its a q-tuner or lundgren, those have me pretty curious as well)..

thats my two cents
Opinions and taste always vary I guess. What you perceive as crazy tightness I perceive as crazy thinness for example. :-) In general the BK's just sounded more dry which is not a bad thing if that's what your into. I liked the Warpig the best of the two BKs in this test.

My favorites in order: Distortion, Warpig, Invader, Aftermath.
Animus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Opinions and taste always vary I guess. What you perceive as crazy tightness I perceive as crazy thinness for example. :-) In general the BK's just sounded more dry which is not a bad thing if that's what your into. I liked the Warpig the best of the two BKs in this test.

My favorites in order: Distortion, Warpig, Invader, Aftermath.
to each their own... tone is a very personal thing... so far i havent really seen one identical list in thread which is pretty cool
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

C-PIG is just really niceC-PIG is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Yeah I saw this yesterday. Pretty much convinced me Bareknuckle pickups are not worth the extreme markup and hype they get. They sound good but I don't know if they sound 3 or 4 times more good.

And the Kemper sounds awesome!
i agree! this video just proves that you gotta let your ears do the talking , dont listen to the hype . The proof is in the pudding kids . the duncans owned this vid
Purelojik and guy in latvia like this.
C-PIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #22
came and went

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Yeah, it's so hard to really know 4sure which one would sound best until dropping them in your own axe with your own pedals and amps.
Purelojik likes this.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRENCHLORD View Post
Yeah, it's so hard to really know 4sure which one would sound best until dropping them in your own axe with your own pedals and amps.
so true... from my experience, the body wood the pickup is being put in makes a world of difference... if you put a great pickup in the wrong body, it will sound mediocre...

speaking great combos, i'm dying to try out a black dog in a mahogany bodied 7
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Pretty much convinced me Bareknuckle pickups are not worth the extreme markup and hype they get.
These arnt marked up. They are in a country thats currency is just worth more than ours.
Purelojik likes this.

Confront and Destroy!
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #25
MJS

MJS is just really niceMJS is just really nice
Cool of Keith to take the time to do that.

The Distortion was definitely my favorite of the four.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote