homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

DBDbadreligion is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Floyd rose saddle question

hi im wondering if the locking screws on the saddles are all universal between all floyd rose saddles?

www.facebook.com/nlandt

ESP-LTD Viper 407 > Dunlop Crybaby > Boss TU-2 > Mesa/Boogie DC-5.
DBDbadreligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
The Tremol-No Guy

Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The screws that hold the saddle in place (intonation lock screws) or the ones that hold the string into the saddle (string lock screws)?

I believe all the intonation screws are the same- M4- but are available in different lengths. I think the thread pitch is 0.7.
When shopping for intonation screws, ask the guy for "button head cap screw, 4 millimeter by [length in millimeters], with a 0.7 thread pitch". If he looks at you funny, go to a different store.
Note: some trems, esp. OFRs, have "socket head cap screws" instead. Button heads strip quicker, but are more comfortable.

I'm not sure of the thread size/pitch on the string lock screws. I think they are all metric, and are all 5mm. StewMac carries them. A quick email to their tech support should confirm.

I sure wish I hadn't sent my trems out to Graphtech....ugh...

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

im talking about the string lock screws. i kinna want to get the graphtech floyd string savers, but since i have Jackson JT-6 trem i have to put my string lock screws on the saddles.

by the way this is the JT-6 trem if you didnt know already: http://www.fretsonthenet.net/sf-88-page13.jpg

www.facebook.com/nlandt

Unread 11-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
The Tremol-No Guy

Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.Kevan is his own personal hero.
Graphtech Floyd Saddles = good!
I have the first prototype set on the Edge in my RG-565. They feel soooooo nice. Not a string break yet.

Email Graphtech (Attn: Lea) and ask him if their saddles will work with that Jackson trem. It's tough to tell from a little pic.
I can tell you they slip right into an Edge trem without issue (string lock screws work fine too).

(THE GRAPHTECH SADDLES FOR FLOYDS WILL ***NOT*** WORK WITH IBANEZ LO-PRO TREM SYSTEMS!!!)

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 11-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Graphtech Floyd Saddles = good!
I have the first prototype set on the Edge in my RG-565. They feel soooooo nice. Not a string break yet.

Email Graphtech (Attn: Lea) and ask him if their saddles will work with that Jackson trem. It's tough to tell from a little pic.
I can tell you they slip right into an Edge trem without issue (string lock screws work fine too).

(THE GRAPHTECH SADDLES FOR FLOYDS WILL ***NOT*** WORK WITH IBANEZ LO-PRO TREM SYSTEMS!!!)
ok, i will do that. i would also imagine that the string lock screws for none lo-pro trems are the same size.

o yeah, how well do the graphtechs improve sustain?

www.facebook.com/nlandt

Unread 11-11-2006, 11:13 PM   #6
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
EEEK. I think you're going to have a hard time finding parts for that trem.

http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/...n_soloists.htm

By 1988 the factory had imported tremolo units made with the Jackson name on them called the "JT-6". It had a push in arm and the fine tuners and locking screws were combined into a concentric system with the lock screw was in the center and the fine tuner was the outer screw. These units feature a Kahler style locknut with slotted screw locking screws. An interesting observation I have made is that while some early JT6 equipped guitars can easily be interchanged with Floyd Rose tremolos, this can't always be pulled off. On two 1988 Soloists I have tried to retrofit with genuine Floyds I encountered slight problems with the stud spacing making the tremolo mount and string up, but not rock smooth as it should.

JT6
Floyd Rose mounting posts were the wood screw style until 1985 when a body bushing/machine screw style was slowly phased in. The machine screw style was used with the JT6 tremolos as well.

Last edited by Drew; 11-13-2006 at 12:38 PM. Reason: changed color to something more legible on grey
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

well mines is a 1989, so i guess im kinna f**ked.

but i still dont see why the string lock screws wouldnt be any different.
im going to take the low e strings saddle off tomorrow and try putting a schaller saddle i have on the string lock screw to see if it fits, i will take pics for future info.
__________________________________________________ __________

by visually comparing the two, the string lock screws look to be the same size.

http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/...onsite/JT6.jpg

http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/...oyd%20Rose.jpg

www.facebook.com/nlandt

Last edited by DBDbadreligion; 11-11-2006 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 11-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #8
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
Yeah they do, but the concentric fine tuner on yours has to be running on a thread. Does the Jackson bolt thread run the whole length of the bolt?
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:42 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
Yeah they do, but the concentric fine tuner on yours has to be running on a thread. Does the Jackson bolt thread run the whole length of the bolt?
the saddle lock screw is the whole way an the fine tuner isscrews on over it.
the fine tuner doesnt get in the way of anything.

ok here i took pics of me putting the jt-6's string lock screw/fine tuner onto a schaller/floyd rose saddle. o yeah guess what it all fits perfectly.

here's the jt-6 lock screw.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...Picture010.jpg

the schaller/floyd rose saddles.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...Picture009.jpg

both together.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...Picture011.jpg

the final product.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...Picture015.jpg

ok there's pics for future info.

but im so relieved now, im planning on getting the graph tech saddles now.
hopefully getting those will bring some life and tone back to the guitar.

www.facebook.com/nlandt

Last edited by DBDbadreligion; 11-12-2006 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 11-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
dpm
Oni Guitars

Fantastic! The only other thing then would be that the Jackson trem has the radius built into baseplate with saddles of the same height (like Ibanez Edge), while the FR has staggered height saddles on a flat base. Just something to keep in mind . You want 6 saddles of the same height. Unless the bridge doesn't match the fretboard radius, in which case you could get tricky and correct the bridge radius with the saddles.
Unread 11-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #11
The Tremol-No Guy

DPM is correct. When you order your GraphTech saddles, make sure you ask for "all the same size" or "all the same height".

For those without radiused trem plates, you can get the GraphTech saddles in different heights (1, 2, and 3) to do your radius.

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 11-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
The Dragonrider

WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
hey kevan, would you happen to know what combination of saddle heights i'd need to do a 16" radius on a 7-string OFR?
WarriorOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #13
The Tremol-No Guy

Ooo...I don't know off the top of my head.
It'll be something like: 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 (I'm not sure if they make a 4)
Or maybe 0, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 0.
Email GraphTech quick. They'll tell ya exactly what you need.

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 11-12-2006, 04:21 PM   #14
The Dragonrider

WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.
it's not graphtech i'm looking to get, it's more of a general question....would the answer likely be the same?
Unread 11-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #15
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
my head hurts from reading this thread....Glad you found 2 people to help you out..

"I wish TV had a knob so you could turn up the intelligence. The one marked Brightness doesn't work."

Gallagher
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #16
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
Fantastic! The only other thing then would be that the Jackson trem has the radius built into baseplate with saddles of the same height (like Ibanez Edge), while the FR has staggered height saddles on a flat base. Just something to keep in mind . You want 6 saddles of the same height. Unless the bridge doesn't match the fretboard radius, in which case you could get tricky and correct the bridge radius with the saddles.
ok well, i had no idea about that radius stuff. the saddles i found are on ebay. i want those becasue they are a better price than the ones on www.stewmac.com.

ok im looking at my saddles, here's how the heights are going.

from low to high strings. (bass to treble side)

E - flat
A - 1mm higher than (Low E)
D - 1mm higher than (A)
G - same height as (D)
B - same height as (D)
e - same height as (D)

so what size do i need, can the graph techs be ordered by height.
or kevan are they all the same height?

i think that the reason some saddles are higher than the other is, that the end of the string is popping out the bottom of the saddle which would make it elevate a tiny bit. because looked at the saddles and there just barely raised off the baseplate.
__________________________________________________ _________________
ok i just took all the saddles off and looked at the baseplate and the saddles.
there is no staggering on the saddles and the baseplate is flat.

www.facebook.com/nlandt

Last edited by DBDbadreligion; 11-12-2006 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #17
The Tremol-No Guy

If you get the wrong saddles from FleaBay, they weren't much of a bargain, were they?
There are lots of GraphTech dealers out there. I'm sure they can come close to Ebay *and* get you the right parts.

On the bottom of each saddle there should be a number stamped or cast into the base. Unless the trem has been re-built (or jacked up), then you should order the set that matches those numbers.

TIP: Use a piece of masking tape and a sharpie to mark which saddle is which. Don't take the tape off until you're ready to re-string the guitar.

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

Quote:
If you get the wrong saddles from FleaBay, they weren't much of a bargain, were they?
There are lots of GraphTech dealers out there. I'm sure they can come close to Ebay *and* get you the right parts.

On the bottom of each saddle there should be a number stamped or cast into the base. Unless the trem has been re-built (or jacked up), then you should order the set that matches those numbers.

TIP: Use a piece of masking tape and a sharpie to mark which saddle is which. Don't take the tape off until you're ready to re-string the guitar.
so i need to look for a number? but also the graphtechs are sold as a set of six.
you cant choose you size.

ok i just looked under all the saddles, i took everyone of them off one by one.
there were no numbers marked on any of them.

www.facebook.com/nlandt

Last edited by DBDbadreligion; 11-12-2006 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 11-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #19
The Tremol-No Guy

WarriorOfMetal- Sorry I missed your post before.
-If it's an OFR that DOES NOT have a radiused plate, then you'll need stacked saddles to achieve that radius.
-If it's an OFR that DOES have a radiused plate, then you'll need same-height saddles.
Check your plate. Few OFR's have radiused plates, but....we like to check and make sure.
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDbadreligion View Post
ok i just looked under all the saddles, i took everyone of them off one by one.
there were no numbers marked on any of them.
That, my friend, sucks.

According to the GraphTech site: "2 saddles x 3 different heights". Translated onto your trem plate: 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1.
I have to call them tomorrow anyway and find out WTF is up with my trems. I'll find out if they sell single FR saddles and/or how that works.

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:27 AM   #20
The Dragonrider

Quote:
-If it's an OFR that DOES NOT have a radiused plate, then you'll need stacked saddles to achieve that radius.
-If it's an OFR that DOES have a radiused plate, then you'll need same-height saddles.
Check your plate. Few OFR's have radiused plates, but....we like to check and make sure.
i'm pretty sure it's a non-radiused plate, but i haven't bought the bridge yet (what i'm doing is buying a black bridge and then replacing the saddles with chrome ones, and i'd like to order all of it at once if possible). i sent an email to the floyd rose company earlier, so hopefully i'll hear from them tomorrow.

i'm assuming it'd be something like 1 2 2 3 2 2 1, but i could be completely wrong, i suppose.
Unread 11-13-2006, 05:21 AM   #21
ss.org Regular

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------
That, my friend, sucks.

According to the GraphTech site: "2 saddles x 3 different heights". Translated onto your trem plate: 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1.
I have to call them tomorrow anyway and find out WTF is up with my trems. I'll find out if they sell single FR saddles and/or how that works.
ok well how do i know if my sadsles are stacked?

www.facebook.com/nlandt

Unread 11-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #22
The Tremol-No Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDbadreligion View Post
ok well how do i know if my sadsles are stacked?
Quote:
We've already figured out that your plate is non-radiused.
"Stacked saddles" is a converse way to describe having a non-radiused baseplate. It means: 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1 or something similar.

If your baseplate was radiused you'd get a set that would be something like this: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1......or......2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2.

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 11-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #23
ss.org Regular

Quote:
We've already figured out that your plate is non-radiused.
"Stacked saddles" is a converse way to describe having a non-radiused baseplate. It means: 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1 or something similar.

If your baseplate was radiused you'd get a set that would be something like this: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1......or......2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2.
i bet that the 1,2,3,3,2,1 set of graphtechs would fit. if you want i can check to see how my schaller is set up and try putting those saddles on the JT-6.

that's probally a surefire way to know.

ok my saddles height radius, is 1,2,3,3,2,1. i put my schaller saddles which are that radius. it fit perfectly. so does this mean i can use the graphtechs?

www.facebook.com/nlandt

Last edited by DBDbadreligion; 11-13-2006 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 11-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #24
The Tremol-No Guy

Damn. Got voicemail at Graphtech.
I'll try a couple more times today.

"Thank YOU, Jim Day!"
Unread 11-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #25
ss.org Regular

ok my saddles height radius, is 1,2,3,3,2,1. i put my schaller saddles which are that radius. it fit perfectly. so does this mean i can use the graphtechs?

www.facebook.com/nlandt