homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
wake up dead

7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Need help with simple speaker wiring

hey, I've got a 1x12 combo amp where the wire coming off of the speaker terminates with a 1/4" connector that then plugs into the amp. I want to have this wire longer. It appears that the 2 wires attached to the speaker tabs have their own insulation wraps, so I'm assuming something like

Redco Audio - Custom Audio Cables - Recording Studio Supplies - Custom A/V Panels - Mogami W3103 2cond. Speaker Cable

is an example of proper cable to use?

I'm asking because

Redco Audio - Custom Audio Cables - Recording Studio Supplies - Custom A/V Panels - Mogami W3082 Speaker Cable

and

Redco Audio - Custom Audio Cables - Recording Studio Supplies - Custom A/V Panels - Mogami W2921 4cond. Speaker Cable

are also available, and I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Also, speaker wire is just wired to standard 1/4" connectors right? The connectors are no different than what you would use for instrument cable, correct?

The only other thread I saw when I searched talked about using 4 conductor cable to make like a "star quad," but I had only heard about this for mic cables...does this work for speaker cable? Any benefit over short distances?

Last question. Is it safe to run a speaker cable out of an amp, then to say a 1/4" panel jack on one side of a wall wired with speaker cable to another 1/4" jack on the other side of the wall (like through the wall), then another piece of speaker cable from the 2nd panel jack and on to the cab?

Thanks guys, hoping to get some answers so I can get my order placed today before the weekend!
7slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7slinger View Post
1) [link] is an example of proper cable to use [as opposed to other two links]?

2) Also, speaker wire is just wired to standard 1/4" connectors right?

3) The connectors are no different than what you would use for instrument cable, correct?

4) Does [star quad] work for speaker cables? Any benefit over short distances?

5) Is it safe to run a speaker cable out of an amp, then to say a 1/4" panel jack on one side of a wall wired with speaker cable to another 1/4" jack on the other side of the wall (like through the wall), then another piece of speaker cable from the 2nd panel jack and on to the cab?
1) I'd go for the Coax type as it is true 2 conductor, conductor + shield, which should be all you need, the other is a three conductor and the last just... No. It doesn't matter as long as you get the core at 12-16 AWG, anything less with start to cause problems.

2) Yes, the main reason some speaker cables have different jacks is to fit over the thicker gauge speaker cabling, which your average 1/4" jack housing probably won't. SwitchCraft make some excellent 'heavy duty' speaker jacks. See 'SW70B';
Switchcraft Audio Connectors, 1/4" Plugs

3) See above, but pretty much yes.

4) No.

5) If there is always a load, yes, you want to make sure that every connection is wired with the same speaker cable though, a chain is only as strong as the weakest link. It's very doable, but you want to ensure your connections are all solid and your jacks high quality.

NOTE: You need to make sure you wire the core of the wire to the tip of the speaker cable, not the ring.
7slinger likes this.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
wake up dead

7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
1) I'd go for the Coax type as it is true 2 conductor, conductor + shield, which should be all you need, the other is a three conductor and the last just... No. It doesn't matter as long as you get the core at 12-16 AWG, anything less with start to cause problems.

2) Yes, the main reason some speaker cables have different jacks is to fit over the thicker gauge speaker cabling, which your average 1/4" jack housing probably won't. SwitchCraft make some excellent 'heavy duty' speaker jacks. See 'SW70B';
Switchcraft Audio Connectors, 1/4" Plugs

3) See above, but pretty much yes.

4) No.

5) If there is always a load, yes, you want to make sure that every connection is wired with the same speaker cable though, a chain is only as strong as the weakest link. It's very doable, but you want to ensure your connections are all solid and your jacks high quality.

NOTE: You need to make sure you wire the core of the wire to the tip of the speaker cable, not the ring.
Thanks for response.

I got confused because the factory wiring appears to be 3 conductor, as both the leads to the speaker itself are insulated. The wire is shrinkwrapped down pretty low so I can't actually tell if there is a shield that is cut back or not. I suppose it could just be 2 insulated leads and no shield too...

So the wiring with coax type would just be core to tip of connector and shield to sleeve, and on the speaker side core to positive tab and shield to negative?

I've got a bunch of Neutrik connectors, I'll probably see if they'll fit first.

...and the star quad thing...ya, I'd never heard of doing that for speaker cable before I saw the thread on here when I was searching for info.

Thanks again
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
It's very common for speaker cables to have two actual conductors and no shield, but it doesn't matter either way.

I suggest the coax type because it is actually two conductor, but realistically it doesn't matter as long as you wire it the right way round and have a decent gauge wire.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
wake up dead

think I'm going to place my order today, anybody else have they want to throw in?