homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Swyse
  • 1 Post By SirMyghin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-15-2011, 04:52 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

JohnBorn will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to eliminate 7th string fret buzz?

I've recently change my 7th string from 052 to 059. Cause of that the string buzzez a little, my question is how to eliminate the minor fret buzz? My axe are s7320 with ZR tremolo. Thanks!
JohnBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
Have it set up by a tech, that's it.

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
doesn't like things

Nagash is just really niceNagash is just really nice
truss rod !
Nagash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

i'm thinking of fixing it myself, time for me to learn more of the guitar . So i need to adjust the trust rod? what else?
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
doesn't like things

Buzz might come from :

- neck tilted the wrong way => truss rod

- string vibrating against the frets => bridge height and/or loose strings.

If it was the bridge height, I think you'd have buzz on several strings and not only the last one, so I guess your neck is tilted. Do you know how to adjust your truss rod ?
Unread 09-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Enjoys Chicken.

TelosHedge is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
if it's only the 7th string that's buzzing you've got one saddle that's a bit lower than the others. you may not be able to see it but a thicker gauge string will sit a bit lower from what i've seen. i don't know if the string kind of crimps at the bridge or whatever, but they tend to get a little buzzy. since you don't have individual saddle height adjustments on an edge (or do you? im not familiar with the newer ones) you'll need to raise your bridge height on the low B side a smidge.
TelosHedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

yeah, i've change from 9-54 gauge to a 10-59. And only the 7th string buzz..
Mine is ZR trem, is it possible to adjust only certain string height with this trem? i've only gotten the guitar for a few month (it's my 1st experience with floating trem) i have no experience in adjusting truss rod nagash, is it neccesary?
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
Enjoys Chicken.

TelosHedge is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i'm not sure how the ZR trems operate. i am used to the original edge's and the lo pro models. they do not have individual string height adjustments.
TelosHedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
doesn't like things

like careboy said, better check the saddles first.

otherwise, you can do like me : take an allen wrench and go suicidal. what i had was this : buzz on the whole fretboard for the lower strings, and my two highest strings were touching the frets. I twisted the wrench towards the higher strings and at some point I got a good setup.

It's a bit risky if you don't know how to operate, as I said I went suicidal on this one. Just don't turn the wrench like crazy, go for small adjustments and see what it does. If you do only small twists and check every time, there's no danger.

If you're too scared of damaging your guitar, go to a nice tech and watch him do it, or look for it on youtube. I did it by myself and it worked out fine, so you can do it too
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

do i need to unstring the guitar/ loosen or just adjust it straight away?
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Black_Sheep has a spectacular aura about
Something i've noticed about 7-strings: Because the neck is wider, you need to be more careful and accurate when adjusting the neck so that there is no fret buzz or anything else. For me, the low B string was usually too high when i adjusted the neck. That was with my ibby RG1527 though, with the K7, i've had no problems.

"Reality is almost always wrong."
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #12
doesn't like things

just loosen the middle strings so you have access to the truss rod, screw around and retune
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
Swyse

Swyse is a glorious beacon of lightSwyse is a glorious beacon of lightSwyse is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
First of all, I would definitely not listen to Nagash in the respect of just screwing around with the truss rod. Press down on the first fret and the last fret of your neck. You should see a small gap around the 7-9 frets. If you don't see a gap you need to loosen your truss rod. If you see a large gap, you need to tighten it. I wouldn't turn more than a quarter turn at a time before rechecking. The buzz is most likely from switching to a larger string, which will need a larger gap between the string and frets so it doesn't buzz. Is the string buzzing at the first fret? the whole neck? Does it only do it when you pick hard? I'm literally amazed we jumped from fret buzz straight to winging it with the truss rod.
TelosHedge likes this.

i prefer the reverse stranger where I sit on my dick till it's numb, so it feels like I'm jerking a stranger off - theo in chat
Swyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
doesn't like things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swyse View Post
First of all, I would definitely not listen to Nagash in the respect of just screwing around with the truss rod. Press down on the first fret and the last fret of your neck. You should see a small gap around the 7-9 frets. If you don't see a gap you need to loosen your truss rod. If you see a large gap, you need to tighten it. I wouldn't turn more than a quarter turn at a time before rechecking. The buzz is most likely from switching to a larger string, which will need a larger gap between the string and frets so it doesn't buzz. Is the string buzzing at the first fret? the whole neck? Does it only do it when you pick hard? I'm literally amazed we jumped from fret buzz straight to winging it with the truss rod.

Anyway I know how it works, I just suck at explaining this in English.
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If only the B is buzzing, you can shim the saddle on your trem. That is probably the best route, although it will screw a bit with string radius. You can also raise that side of the bridge entirely, but then you effect other strings too. Make sure the string is slack before you try to loosen a sadle though.
TelosHedge likes this.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #16
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swyse View Post
The buzz is most likely from switching to a larger string
Yes, my 7th string start to buzz after i changed it to a 59 gauge string. And had it dropped to G#. Pardon me but i fail to mention this earlier, i've dropped all the string tuning to halfstep down from standard tuning, the low B is dropped to G#.

The buzz occur on the lowest string almost on any fret when i pick it hard, if i pick it real light it wouldn't buzz.

So i really need to adjust the truss rod then? Should i loosen all the string first?

Thanks for all the reponse, appreciate it guys
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

iloki is just really niceiloki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
No, if you're buzzing everywhere I wouldn't adjust the truss rod. Does the strong feel loose at all?
iloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #18
ss.org Regular

It buzzez only on 7th string almost on any fret if i pick it hard. The string does feel a bit loose since i've dropped it from B to G#
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
Swyse

Swyse is a glorious beacon of lightSwyse is a glorious beacon of lightSwyse is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
It sounds to me that you need more string tension because the buzz if the string vibrating and banging against the frets. More string tension is gained from using an even larger string.

i prefer the reverse stranger where I sit on my dick till it's numb, so it feels like I'm jerking a stranger off - theo in chat
Swyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

iloki is just really niceiloki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Honestly, on a 25.5" scale guitar.. I don't think a 59 is realistically enough to get decent tension on a G#.. I have a 64 on my 007 (also a 25.5") and it feels pretty decent. I don't play down to G# but it works ok for A/drop A.
iloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #21
SS.org Regular

Mehnike is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Trying another string is another cheap idea. I use a 63 in B standard but I think you could probably get away with it in G#. Personally, I like my low strings to have a bit of tension so I'd go with something a little thicker. Check out Strings, Instrument Strings, Music Strings for Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Fiddle and More for singles.
Mehnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #22
Ibanez Enthusiast

trickae is just really nicetrickae is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
adjust the truss rod to adjust the neck alignment.

There should youtube guides, some are available on the official Ibanez forums - by some dude that goes by the username optimus_prime or something.

Also you're getting fret buzz because you have a thicker string that is more likely to hit a fret while its vibrating. You may also have to adjust the action a tad to accomodate for this.

The greatest guitar lesson of all time:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/3028785-post54.html
trickae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
ss.org Regular

Wolverbean is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi.

Here is what I follow for all tedious repairs @ ESP.

ALWAYS make sure the neck is straight before you make any adjustments.
Next, adjust your action at the bridge to about 4/64ths (as a good starting point).
Check height at nut, file down or shim/raise to taste.
Check all frets chromatically.
Play through an amp.. Checking for buzz without an amp you will hear more.
Also EMPHASIZING the buzz, plucking the string really hard will will result in more buzz.
There is a HUGE difference between buzz and sizzle.
Buzz is inevitable on certain instruments/tunings. Some guitars/basses will be a little more "sizzley" than others.
If you have a buzz that causes the note to die out quickly (given all parameters mentioned below are on point), Then you will need to level and dress the frets. Hope this helps!
Wolverbean is offline   Reply With Quote