homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #76
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril v View Post
I'm kinda 50/50 with you here...

Just messing around with the DI's you posted.. these Arc300's were stupid easy to dial in. Every amp-sim I tried, it just had a way better starting point for my ear and likewise better ending tone.

The 707 clip on the other hand, took a lot of tweaking for me to get a sound I like from them. It's a combination of trying to tighten it's slightly squishy nature (not muddy) to get a good chunk out of them and trying to keep the tone focused and clear enough. Quite a balancing act, though some people love that fat chunk tone they naturally have, I guess you either like it for you playing or you don't. I agree though.

So, if given I had to pick one to play with, it'd be the Arc for sure in this case. But on the otherhand, I wasn't big on the 707's myself in my old Hellraiser and ended up with switching them out, so the results are not surprising to me. I'd say swap 'em.

Definitely give the EMG X-series(81-7x)/Blackouts a try though if you can find some to play, you might just change your mind a bit as far as actives go.
You should here the ARC now that I've actually set it up properly. I've set the action up a little higher and it sounds even thicker now, I love it.

I'm going to be selling the Loomis down the road anyways though so no point in ....ing with it now.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #77
ss.org Regular

exscape is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
This thread's getting pretty cool!

I'll be adding Crunch Lab, Liquifire, Mo'Joe, PAF Joe, and possibly the Fender pickups in my strat tomorrow hopefully.
Hey, any progress?
I'd really love to have DI tracks of the Crunch Lab/LiquiFire!
exscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #78
ss.org Regular

kirbyy is on a distinguished road
:edit: nevermind! thanks for the work everyone on uploading these, you guys are a blessing
kirbyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #79
Count Blastula

FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Here you can download dry files of my Blackmachine B6 with ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge, and my Blackmachine B2 with Cold Sweat in the bridge.

Blackmachine B6: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5864881/kill...ry%20track.wav

Blackmachine B2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5864881/kill...ry%20track.wav
FrancescoFiligoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #80
Beaver Sack #2

Yaris is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancescoFiligoi View Post
Here you can download dry files of my Blackmachine B6 with ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge, and my Blackmachine B2 with Cold Sweat in the bridge.

Blackmachine B6: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5864881/kill...ry%20track.wav

Blackmachine B2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5864881/kill...ry%20track.wav
Hi I think you may not have posted these in your public folder on dropbox. No one can access them until you put them in the public folder and repost. Thanks.

I should be sponsored by Ibanez.
Listen/Download my EP Here (or don't): http://jordankw.bandcamp.com/album/words-with-foes-ep
Bandcamp \ Soundclick \ Soundcloud
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #81
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Someone should post a DI of the crappy RGA8 stock pickups so we could know just how bad they really are.
imaginary likes this.
xtrustisyoursx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #82
I suck at guitar.

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
I'd love to contribute but had a couple questions. First is do you want to stick to just DI's specifically? Just asking because there's a line out on my Blackstar head that I use for recording. Using the clean channel with everything set to noon is close to a DI, especially considering there's still no mics or pushed air to deal with or think about, but it could still be tonally biased. The other is... well nevermind I think I just had one question. I'm tired. I've probably forgotten.
ConnorGilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #83
Djent ............

joaocunha is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorGilks View Post
Using the clean channel with everything set to noon is close to a DI, especially considering there's still no mics or pushed air to deal with or think about, but it could still be tonally biased.

That would be very different from a DI. Don't you have anything to match the impedances? A POD or almost any multieffect would do the job.

Nice deals with: zimbloth, Leon, slimegod, TMM, angus, 7 Dying Trees, OrsusMetal, iondestroyer1527, mgcasella, lobee, zomb13, Elysian, Toshiro, smith10210, tecniq, maxident213, code001, Galius, turmoil, highlordmugfug, Revan132, beneharris, MastrXploder, jordanky, Jstring, myampslouder, Michael T, Levi79, Aurochs34
joaocunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #84
I suck at guitar.

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaocunha View Post

That would be very different from a DI. Don't you have anything to match the impedances? A POD or almost any multieffect would do the job.
Just asking for my own reference, not for use with this thread.

I'll still use a DI for anything like this for sure.
ConnorGilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #85
Ashes Of Rebirth

iRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thank you so much for this thread!
iRaiseTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #86
Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢

baptizedinblood is a jewel in the rough
I'll be posting a DI of a Walnut Carvin DC727 with a Crunchlab Bridge (Both positions) and a Liquifire neck as soon as my PC is up and running. I've also got a Seymour Duncan Invader laying around if anyone wants me to make a DI of that.
baptizedinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #87
tmo
This is Blue Pain..t

tmo is a jewel in the rough
First of all, I must say that this is interesting and as soon as I find time to, I will contribute some DIs of Dimarzios 7 on basswood (freted and fretless) and on mahogany guitars. Yes, I found this forum only recently so...

This may be a stupid question, but a guitar's tone starts on its' strings. I am sure you all have experienced the ecstasy of new strings on a guitar. Some may have also tried different gauges and string types, I am now experiencing flatwound mix with D-Activators. Shouldn't it be referenced?

Also, for those who have the possibility, different pickup wiring allows for... errr... new musical ideas and sound landscapes. As I understand (and I read the last 2 pages on a flash), most, if not all these clips are in serial wiring, for a full humbucker sound. On another thread I was asked for the difference between parallel and coil spliting/tapping. I believe that THIS is the place for those answers. Serial, Parallel, Coil Split/Tap and Out of phase wirings are interesting themes to upload.

Last but not least, I have been reading lots of questions for pairing pickups, which combines well with which for this and that. This opens the door to... err... a huge database, but is it not the purpose?

Once again, thumbs up for the initiative.
tmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #88
Knee-shooting Archer

LeviathanKiller has a spectacular aura about
I wish this thread got more attention and more clips added to our "database".
It's not much, but if I get the time to, I'll contribute my stock PRS Tremonti pickups.

The signature is a lie!
LeviathanKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #89
Custom User Title

mnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to allmnemonic is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviathanKiller View Post
I wish this thread got more attention and more clips added to our "database".
It's not much, but if I get the time to, I'll contribute my stock PRS Tremonti pickups.
agreed, for those of us with the ability to reamp guitar tracks, I think its a much better idea than pickup demos on youtube or something.

Granted its still someone else's guitar and hands, atleast we can eliminate their amp setup and hear how the pickups sound through our amplification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velixo View Post
Does anyone have a DI clip of the EMG 808x?
I would also be interested in this (or regular 808's)

or any 8 string DI's at all, really.
mnemonic is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #90
ss.org Regular

Maryam23 is on a distinguished road
Great idea.
Maryam23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #91
tmo
This is Blue Pain..t

tmo is a jewel in the rough
So, I finally found some time to do a quick recording.

This is on an Ibanez RG2027X (mahogany body with maple top, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard) equipped with DiMarzio Blaze Neck and Custom, on Neck and Bridge.

The wiring on this guitar is: Neck Serial; Neck Coil split (North coil); Neck Serial + Bridge Serial (in Neck in parallel with bridge); Bridge Coil split (North coil?); Bridge Serial.

The recording features some different types of playing styles (badly executed sorry): Emajor chording, Blues riff, Heavy chugging riff, Chord struming riff. Pickup selection goes always from Neck to Bridge, on all 5 positions previously mentioned,except on last, which is piezo!

I played all riff with all pickups at 44.1kHz sample rate with a Presomus AudioBox 1818VSL.

Last but not least, new strings were used: D'Addario XL Nickel Roundwound -.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042, .054

... and here is the mp3 file!...
tmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #92
ss.org Regular

Dan2 will become famous soon enough
Here's links to the DI files used in my recent metal & clean pickup test videos covering 9 models from Dimarzio, EMG and Seymour Duncan.

DI FILES
Metal riffing: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...p-DI-files.zip
Clean chordal work: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...n-DI-files.zip

You can find the full thread including the videos and links to my blog conclusions here: 7 string pickup videos & DIs - EMG Duncan Dimarzio - 9 pickups - metal & clean

Pickup Brand: DiMarzio / Seymour Duncan
Model: Dimarzio Crunch Lab 7, Tone Zone 7, SD JB7, Dimarzio New 7, Dimarzio PAF7, SD Distortion 7, Dimarzio D-Activator
Position: Bridge
Guitar woods (body/neck/fingerboard): Mahogany-Maple top/Maple/Rosewood
Bridge type: Ibanez Edge Pro 7 or Ibanez Lo Pro Edge 7

Pickup Brand: EMG
Model: EMG81-7, EMG707
Guitar woods (body/neck/fingerboard): Alder/Maple/Rosewood
Bridge type: Ibanez Edge Pro 7

Pickup Brand: DiMarzio
Model: Crunch Lab 7
Guitar woods (body/neck/fingerboard): Basswood/Maple/Rosewood