homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #26

-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just one thing to say in favour of normalisation:

Everyone will be tracking their DIs at varying levels, so the resulting differences would make it impossible to tell whether one is hotter than another because of the pickup or the way it was tracked. Normalisation at least allows us to gauge the compression characteristic of the pickup on an even playing field.
EtherealEntity likes this.
-Nolly- is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #27
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
This is true, but how then would you gauge output?

Mind you if it's only the peaks that are limited to (say) -0.1dB, how will the rest of the sound be affected?

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #28

-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.-Nolly- can play Erotomania with his toes.
You can't, but not normalising wouldn't help either
The rest of the sound is unaffected. Normalising is just an automated volume adjustment, it increases the level until the loudest peak is at -0.1db.
Unread 06-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #29
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
As for recording, a Hi-Z input is all you really need, you're basically just looking for a buffer between your pickups and sound card/interface. It's not to difficult to get something that's more than good enough. I've had success in the past using a non true bypass pedal's buffer and a mixer, lol.
Funny you mention a buffer I have a BYOC confidence boost sitting infront of me that needs to be built (just a buffer),.. Motivation... maybe. (it is just an adjustable gain buffer circuit)

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #30
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nolly- View Post
You can't, but not normalising wouldn't help either
The rest of the sound is unaffected. Normalising is just an automated volume adjustment, it increases the level until the loudest peak is at -0.1db.
You're not wrong...

Normalising is starting to make more sense, I guess you'll know from your own experience with your setup whether something coming out excessively hot.

Kyle, in theory, a transconductance amplifier should have unity gain

EDIT: I should stop calling you by an abbreviated screen name, man

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

Unread 06-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #31
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
You're not wrong...

Normalising is starting to make more sense, I guess you'll know from your own experience with your setup whether something coming out excessively hot.

Kyle, in theory, a transconductance amplifier should have unity gain

EDIT: I should stop calling you by an abbreviated screen name, man
Aye, but I can adjust it to unity so its all dandy. Kyle is fine, I am not picky. I have to actually solder the whore though, not to mention make a few cables and fix one.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Unread 06-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #32
Electrifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Aye, but I can adjust it to unity so its all dandy. Kyle is fine, I am not picky. I have to actually solder the whore though, not to mention make a few cables and fix one.
I'm quoting this because I have no idea whether it's intentional or not but it's hilarious.

Unread 06-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #33
The Dirt Guy

Quote:
I'm quoting this because I have no idea whether it's intentional or not but it's hilarious.
Not sure why that is funny, I have a PCb and some components to solder to make the buffer thing. The buffer is the whore.

Unread 06-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #34
Count Blastula

FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Thanks a bunch Nolly, just tried all these DIs thru a quick setup (Peavey Revalver, better than nothing) and I have to say I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the Black Dog. For sure my favourite between these.
FrancescoFiligoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #35
Hwat you call me?

guambomb832 is just really niceguambomb832 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This might be a burden, but for us ERG players out there that want to hear how BKPs sound with 8 strings, if anyone does DI's of the 8 string BKPs, I'll be a happy camper!

You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
guambomb832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 02:02 AM   #36
SS.org Regular

stuglue is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I suggest that we keep the recording level to no more than -2db, if we get clipping in a DI it can't be removed and sounds horrible. Use your input trim (if you have one) on your mixer and you'll be fine.
If anyone is using Cubase it does have a function to analyse your audio and show you both peak and average volume. Its the average that we are most concerned about rather than the peak.
stuglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancescoFiligoi View Post
Thanks a bunch Nolly, just tried all these DIs thru a quick setup (Peavey Revalver, better than nothing) and I have to say I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the Black Dog. For sure my favourite between these.
Yeah, I loved the Black Dog, it's got such a snarly attack and the lean bass due to the lower wind works very nicely to control the Les Paul's low end.
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #38
Electrifying

I guess the best thing now is to get a couple of clips up here and we'll see how we go!

Unread 06-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #39
The Dirt Guy

Had the ASAT out today (not the C66 w/ Rebel Yells) so this is what you get, I am not typically a metal player but I pretended (at about 1/2 metal speed probably) so you folks can pretend as I wank some open power chords and palm muting. Tomorrow or the next time I pick up the C66 i'll do up the BKPs reall quick (hog body, maple cap, maple neck, RW board, floyd)

I was really surprised how good the chords sounded direct in though. Don't worry the poser metal is right after the chords, the second time you hear the chords I did a quick throw to the neck pickup for reference.

Normalized to -0.1, I think, hopefully? Used a normalize function and a peak limitter but I don't think it engaged so should be good.

Pickup Brand: G&L
Model: ASAT special
Magnet Type (if optional): Ceramic
Position: Bridge / Neck, no in between, switches with hearing long chords
Guitar woods (body/neck/fingerboard): swamp ash/maple/maple
Bridge type (e.g. floyd rose, tunomatic): G&L saddle lock
And if it matters to some : played with my agate pick (influences attack)

http://www.filedropper.com/dryasatspec

The link has arrived. (recorded 192k , 32 bit for those wanting such info, it is something like 100mb, I can make it smaller if you guys want but compression likely defeats the purpose)

We should really put together a standard riff set/bitrate, etc

Unread 06-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #40
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
For clarification sake... Is this like an audible version of our "___ Pickup Guide(s)"?

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #41
The Dirt Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
For clarification sake... Is this like an audible version of our "___ Pickup Guide(s)"?
Kind of, the idea is if you reamp these DI signals, you can hear the 'guitar' and pickups through your own rig.

Unread 06-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #42
Djent ............

joaocunha is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
This guitar: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/4533...ilver?h=4c3f6c

Woods: Alder with maple top, maple neck and ebony fretboard;
Bridge: TonePros fixed bridge;

I can contribute with these models:

============ BRIDGE MODELS ============

dimarzio-dp102-x2n-bridge-clean.wav

dimarzio-dp102-x2n-bridge-riff.wav

dimarzio-dp102-x2n-bridge-solo.wav

dimarzio-dp191-air-classic-bridge-clean.wav

dimarzio-dp191-air-classic-bridge-riff.wav

dimarzio-dp191-air-classic-bridge-solo.wav

dimarzio-dp197-virtual-paf-bridge-clean.wav

dimarzio-dp197-virtual-paf-bridge-riff.wav

dimarzio-dp197-virtual-paf-bridge-solo.wav

motor-city-pickups-solution-bridge-clean.wav

motor-city-pickups-solution-bridge-riff.wav

motor-city-pickups-solution-bridge-solo.wav

rio-grande-tx-bridge-clean.wav

rio-grande-tx-bridge-riff.wav

rio-grande-tx-bridge-solo.wav

seymour-duncan-sh1b-bridge-clean.wav

seymour-duncan-sh1b-bridge-riff.wav

seymour-duncan-sh1b-bridge-solo.wav

seymour-duncan-sh14-bridge-clean.wav

seymour-duncan-sh14-bridge-riff.wav

seymour-duncan-sh14-bridge-solo.wav

============ NECK MODELS============

bare-knuckle-pickups-cold-sweat-neck-clean.wav

bare-knuckle-pickups-cold-sweat-neck-solo.wav

dimarzio-dp190-air-classic-neck-clean.wav

dimarzio-dp190-air-classic-neck-solo.wav

dimarzio-dp193-air-norton-neck-clean.wav

dimarzio-dp193-air-norton-neck-solo.wav

motor-city-pickups-solution-neck-clean.wav

motor-city-pickups-solution-neck-solo.wav

---------------------

I have missed this thread and posted my own. Sorry for not having time to upload them all to soundclick.

You might want to take a look at the original thread as well: My pickup collection (tons of sound samples)

Nice deals with: zimbloth, Leon, slimegod, TMM, angus, 7 Dying Trees, OrsusMetal, iondestroyer1527, mgcasella, lobee, zomb13, Elysian, Toshiro, smith10210, tecniq, maxident213, code001, Galius, turmoil, highlordmugfug, Revan132, beneharris, MastrXploder, jordanky, Jstring, myampslouder, Michael T, Levi79, Aurochs34
joaocunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #43
The Dirt Guy

^^^

wow, that is quite the archive.

Unread 06-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #44
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Kind of, the idea is if you reamp these DI signals, you can hear the 'guitar' and pickups through your own rig.
o_O

Holy shit that sounds cool.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #45
Djent ............

I really enjoyed doing these recordings. Check out how tight DiMarzio Virtual PAF is. My favorite ones are MCP Solutions anyway

Nice deals with: zimbloth, Leon, slimegod, TMM, angus, 7 Dying Trees, OrsusMetal, iondestroyer1527, mgcasella, lobee, zomb13, Elysian, Toshiro, smith10210, tecniq, maxident213, code001, Galius, turmoil, highlordmugfug, Revan132, beneharris, MastrXploder, jordanky, Jstring, myampslouder, Michael T, Levi79, Aurochs34
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #46
SS.org Regular

stuglue is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
thanks for these Joao, incidentally what do you think to the X2N? I had one in a 6 string strat rip off for a while and although the bottom end was huge, it was a bit brittle in the highs
stuglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #47
Djent ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuglue View Post
thanks for these Joao, incidentally what do you think to the X2N? I had one in a 6 string strat rip off for a while and although the bottom end was huge, it was a bit brittle in the highs
I have always heard about it being overkill, that it doesn't clean and such, and now I'm pretty sure all of these statements are true. Even with a really low gain setting, X2N distorts. If it's a good or bad thing, well, it's up to you.

Personally I liked it for heavy sounds only, definitely not an overall pickup. It does have a huge bottom end indeed, but doesn't cut through good enough. There are far better options around when it comes to extreme output, like the BKP Warpig.

Unread 06-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #48
Electrifying

This thread's getting pretty cool!

I'll be adding Crunch Lab, Liquifire, Mo'Joe, PAF Joe, and possibly the Fender pickups in my strat tomorrow hopefully.

Unread 06-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #49
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Should put all these in the OP.
JamesM is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #50
Electrifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
Should put all these in the OP.
Yeah, I should!

EDIT: Done, I'll keep putting members' contributions in the OP until it gets a bit excessive then I'll start just listing them by brand and model with a link to the post here they are taken from for more info. EVERYONE will be credited for their contributions in the OP next to the clip, and I've repped everyone who's contributed thus far