homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Pericles is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Floyd Rose proper action adjustment?

Ok, I just got my new Agile Bari 7 and i just wanna know if the proper way to adjust the action is to take the bridge off and do it, or could you do it while the bridge is on......would that .... the trem posts up? I would like to know.

Thanks

P.S.: it's my 33rd post, i find that ironic.....
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-07-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Mac OS X Junkie

Code001 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Unlock the nut and screw the 2 allen wrench studs down on the bridge until you get the action you want. Taking off the bridge will do NOTHING in terms of action.
Code001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
97.5 The Brodeo

Invader is just really niceInvader is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think what he meant was whether he should take the bridge off so that the knife edges won't dig into the posts when he turns them. After all, there's a lot of string/spring pull pressing the knife edges against the posts.
I've heard about this before, and although it would probably be wise to loosen the strings/take off the springs, I've been too lazy to do that. It hasn't hurt the posts on my guitars yet.
Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Mac OS X Junkie

I've never heard that in my life. I have heard of loosening the locking nut because that can cause issues with the knife edges and trems, but not actually taking off the trem. If you're that concerned about the knife edges, you might as well block it completely so they never see any wear.
Unread 10-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

Pericles is on a distinguished road
I was just asking about that, just making sure i wans't doing anything wrong....thanks alot guys!!
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
Mac OS X Junkie

No problem. BTW, here is step 8 directly from the guys at Floyd Rose:

"Step 8:
When tuning is complete, check the action of the strings off the neck. If your action is to high or to low, adjust the action with the two rocker screws (bridge pivot screws) using the 3mm Allen wrench. This adjustment will slightly change your tuning. If your fine tuners run out of range you must repeat steps 1 through 7."
Unread 11-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

ThatGuitarGuy is on a distinguished road
This SHOULD be fine with nicer Floyd trems...however, I like to take off the bridge anyways because I had a crappy cheap licensed one on my jackson and it totally messed up everything....it completely destroyed the knife edges and when you would bend up...it would stay there...going sharp, and when you would bend down it would stay there going flat...it was a pain and I had to buy an official floyd rose in order to fix my tuning issues.
ThatGuitarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Rich Harris, my bible for all things trem related, used to advocate pulling the trem before adjusting your action. These days, he says it doesn't really matter, so I take his word and l;eave the trem on when adjusting.

I'm a constant tweaker, and thus far have had no ill effects (couple years).

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

Brett89 is just really niceBrett89 is just really nice
I dont want to open a new topic for this quastion, so I ask it here...

I always thought that a trem is not a durable thing, but its a good toy, but could you tell how long do they last? Or they are rock solid, never need to replace them?

Sorry but I can't write it correctle.... but I hope you will understand it.
Brett89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I use 5 springs on mine, I think the last time I adjusted it I removed all the springs from the back but usually I adjust the action when changing strings so it's really easy then, take off the floyd and just do a few turns with my fingers. Otherwise I have so much tension (12-58 in drop-C, 5 springs) that it's damn-near impossible to turn those screws.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote