homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Rathmann will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bare Knuckle Pickups for metal - Need advice

So I've bought an RG7620 and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I've long wanted to try some Bare Knuckle pickups, and now it seems I'm getting the guitar that deserves them.
Therefore I want to ask you for some recommendations on which Bareknuckle pickups I should get. I'm kinda asking for reviews, but only want to know what they sound like for metal

I play in a death metal band, so they need to be able do that, but not be limited to that. I want to be able to have a sweet death metal tone, but I don't want to be married to it.
I love leads, I love bends, I love long notes and vibrato.
I think djent sounds like utter balls. I like a tight punchy sound but not the extremely percussive djent sound.

Oh, and you would do be a big favour if you would describe tone, in other ways than with just the traditional bass/mid/treble vocabulary.

Sooo... What can Bare Knuckle Pickups do for metal tones in a basswood guitar?
Rathmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Basswood + Metal = Miracle Man
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

TimTomTum is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you could just email tim from bkp. I ve once asked him what pickups to get, too. I took an hour and then I had my answer. And this guy knows about his pus...
TimTomTum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
SS Contributor

kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoff View Post
this^^
I just picked up another 7620 and I'm thnking about getting one.
I had a97 7620RB that had a MM/duncan Jazz combo in it and I wish I
had never sold it.
Description? think Enemies of Reality tone to a tee...

Axe Fx II in da house
kmanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

Thanks for your input. Could you maybe describe the MM a little more? What can it do and what can't it do.
I PM'ed Zimbloth, quoted this post and elaborated a bit, he adviced me to get the ceramic Nailbomb or the Aftermath, from soundclips and his description of those pickups, they sound like I'd like them
Unread 03-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Red paperclip trader

Tones is a glorious beacon of lightTones is a glorious beacon of lightTones is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I sent a demo of an Afermath in my 7620 to kmanick. want me to do the same for you just to get an idea of what it's like?
Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
SS Contributor

kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.kmanick is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
MiracleMan in a 7620 sounds like an EMG 707, but it's more organic sounding
and a little more "open" sounding.
I am not a fan of 707's but I loved the MM in my 7620.

Axe Fx II in da house
kmanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

@Tones. That would be great!

The Miracle Man does sound awesome, but don't like the "sounds like an EMG 707"-part
Unread 03-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Banned

s5470Pro can only hope to improve
I personally like the Painkillers for Death Metal, and Nailbomb for the neck.

From the clips I have heard the Nailbomb neck, had the best warmth for those Suffocation type acoustics.

The painkiller seems like it had more bite and less thick than the Warpigs which I why I liked them best.

Not sure what it would do for a "basswood" but there are alot of clips on netmusicians.org
s5470Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

BigK is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoff View Post
+1 I've had a few RG's with Miracle Man pickups and the all kick major ass!

PRS - ESP - Schecter - Ibanez - Bare Knuckle Pickups - ENGL POWERBALL - Framus
BigK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Check this thread dude...

Which ceramic 7-string BareKnuckle for metal?

Nick (zimbloth) knows his fcuking shit....
Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Cypher View Post
Check this thread dude...

Which ceramic 7-string BareKnuckle for metal?

Nick (zimbloth) knows his fcuking shit....
Hah, thanks man. I wrote that way back in 2008. I've learned a lot more about these things since then. Having had the opportunity to install/ship out a zillion of these things at my shop for all different kinds of guitars, for all different kinds of players, I'm pretty much at the point now where I could talk about BKPs in my sleep. There are no rules, but there definitely are certain models that always seem to be winners in certain kinds of guitars.

I'm glad I was able to help some people make their decisions easier, I'm always more than happy to answer any questions. I know going on clips can be counterproductive sometimes. I plan on making a more thorough break-down to post on my website, though BKP's new website does a really good job too now.

Often customers will email me these long descriptions of what they're looking for, and they always apologize at the end for writing a "novel". I always tell them, that's the best way to do it. The more specific about one's guitar/rig/desired tone/tuning/string gauge/etc, the better recommendation I can make. It's actually when people email me saying "hi whats a good bkp for hard rock" where I'm thinking to myself "aw man, give me something more than that!"

The Axe Palace <-- Dealer for: BKP, DiMarzio, Ibanez, Mayones, ENGL, Diezel, Orange, Fryette, ESP, Caparison, PRS, Vigier, Dean, Parker, Flaxwood, G&L, Schecter and many more.

NEW WEBSITE IS NOW LIVE: www.axepalace.com

zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Imperium271104 is on a distinguished road
Just realised i posted this in the wrong place......
Imperium271104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Itchyman is a jewel in the rough
Ken Lawrence has recommended Aftermaths - with 1 meg pots - to me while working out details of a guitar with him.. Though, I'm pretty sure he has more experience with mahogany than basswood.
Itchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

HanShock is a jewel in the rough
I used to have a 7620...
Aftermath 7 you will get too much edge ,mid-hollow,and sounds suck with basswood.
Warpig may be a better choice,Miracle Man is ,too.

hmmm...If you don't insist on bkp
IMO , Lundgren M7 will be better . especially when you use thick strings and drop.It has a straight dynamic response,and clarity is great.
Best of all , it doesn't focus only on edge,bass is tight and front.
And it's ok for any kind of body material.

If you want to sound like EMG 81-7 or 707, LACE Deathbar will be the first choice,it's as quiet as EMG(even split) , and no battery need,sounds tighter and get more dynamic.
HanShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #16
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have a set of aftermaths in my 2127z prestige. Best sounding metal guitar I've owned.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
"TWAT" for short

TheWarAgainstTime is a name known to allTheWarAgainstTime is a name known to allTheWarAgainstTime is a name known to allTheWarAgainstTime is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I've got a Ceramic Warpig in one of my 7620's and it does death metal incredibly well. Lot's of lower-mids and clarity, though I'm not sure how it reacts to lower tunings since I've got the guitar tuned to drop A.

Although it's BKP's highest output pickup, it's really more of a semi-high output pickup, which makes it react to your picking hand dynamics really well.

"Who'd have thought silence would be such a difficult thing to achieve in br00t4lz?"-sevenstringj
TheWarAgainstTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

iceM7 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^ +1 for Ceramic Warpigs, the description shouldn't put you off, they're tight as hell, never get loose and a lot of clarity. Also one of the only incredibly high gain pickups with a decent lead sound.
iceM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

reidartuv is a jewel in the rough
I've got a Lundgren M7 on my RGD2127z, and it sounds great!
reidartuv is offline   Reply With Quote