homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Skin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Carvin - Replacing pickups without routing?

I have a Carvin on the way and I'm already thinking about pickup replacement (I know, I'll try them first).
So, that's the question: is there a way to change the pickups on a Carvin without routing the guitar? I've seen that it's possible to replacing the pickups by cutting/sanding something on the pickups, but I'm not sure. I'd like to know if any Carvin users done this and how is this done.

Also, if someone could give me some suggestions for pickups too, just in case if you know. The Carvin is Alder/Maple (neckthrough)/Rosewood. I'm looking for a jazz sound on the neck cleans and nice distortion tones from the bridge, like tech death stuff. Like Cynic (Neck and Bridge) or Necrophagist (Bridge).

Thanks in advance and a good day to you all!

- Skin
Skin Coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
BRAINZZZ!!!

-Oracle- is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange that you've chosen rosewood as fretboard wood...basing on your tastes and the body/neck woods, I think ebony would have suited a bit better.

Anyway, I'd recommend something like an Air Norton for the neck, and a BKP Miracle Man for the bridge. The Air Norton provides beautiful cleans and a fantastic lead tone, the MM is a true beast when paired with maple/alder guitars.
-Oracle- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Skin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Oracle- View Post
Strange that you've chosen rosewood as fretboard wood...basing on your tastes and the body/neck woods, I think ebony would have suited a bit better.

Anyway, I'd recommend something like an Air Norton for the neck, and a BKP Miracle Man for the bridge. The Air Norton provides beautiful cleans and a fantastic lead tone, the MM is a true beast when paired with maple/alder guitars.
It's an used guitar, I couldn't choose Also, the rosewood looks awesome, it's really beautiful and also adds a little bit of warmth to the tone.

I've been suggested a MM set previously, I've only heard good things about it. I'm leaning towards it, but I'll check the AN neck too! Thanks, dude!
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fretboard woods are for looking pretty :P

I have been told direct mount carvin routes Dimarzios will drop in, what model do you have? BKPs will need some mod to the baseplate and the width of routes to fit (even open coil) with the direct mount routes. Working on Open coils here btw. I recently put a set of BKPs in my C66, had to trim the tabs (for some reason they were triangles not the squares I always see), had to round the corner radii more, and had to widen the routes a bit. As well as ream for direct mounting. The rebel yells were just a hint too wide in the bobbins/winds so I had to widen the route a touch.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Fretboard woods are for looking pretty :P

I have been told direct mount carvin routes Dimarzios will drop in, what model do you have? BKPs will need some mod to the baseplate and the width of routes to fit (even open coil) with the direct mount routes. Working on Open coils here btw. I recently put a set of BKPs in my C66, had to trim the tabs (for some reason they were triangles not the squares I always see), had to round the corner radii more, and had to widen the routes a bit. As well as ream for direct mounting. The rebel yells were just a hint too wide in the bobbins/winds so I had to widen the route a touch.
That looks like a lot of work, and I just want to route the guitar in last resort, she is so beautiful

The model is DC747
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Coffin View Post
That looks like a lot of work, and I just want to route the guitar in last resort, she is so beautiful

The model is DC747
You will need to do some work on a 747 for sure. The 7 pickups are sized smaller than dimarzios even. Hope you like the stock ones, they can do just about everything, and are very transparent. But they are slightly scooped and lacking presence, fair amount of string pull. I know a guy who just did up some D-activators into his 7, and used a dremel w/ sanding/grinding bit (fine) to elarge his routes without damaging the finish. You could even make little templates to do so. As mine were a bit snug on 6's I opened up the route BELOW the top sufarce as I could get the picking in, and it taperred a bit, so never touched the surface to have a chance to marr it, but allows adjustability. PM if you want to talk more about it, I might be able to give some specific pointers.
Unread 01-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Hammer of the Gods

shanejohnson02 is just really niceshanejohnson02 is just really nice
On the Carvin site, it has been mentioned that only the 6-string models have had the routes changed to be more accommodating to aftermarket pickups. The 7-string models have been left in the stone age.

I'm interested in this topic as well, since my new 727 will be here next week (hopefully!). I know from experience that the base plates of Dimarzio 7-string pickups usually aren't metal (my CL/LF combo for my RGA7 had the strange glass/resin stuff). Mine were really easy to trim back to fit under EMG-style pickup covers, so I imagine it would be the same when it comes to installing them in a 7*7 guitar.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it all goes down. There's not much detailed information out there on this topic, at least without a really deep search.

shanejohnson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
The Dirt Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanejohnson02 View Post
On the Carvin site, it has been mentioned that only the 6-string models have had the routes changed to be more accommodating to aftermarket pickups. The 7-string models have been left in the stone age.

Not quite, the Carvin routes were changed, for RING MOUNT only, to accomodate the coverred pickups carvin added to their selection. Direct mount routes cannot get coverred pickups and remained unchanged. The day Carvin makes it easier to put in pickups that aren't theirs will be a very good day.
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Hhhmmm I'd actually be interested in some input here. I own a DC727 and I want to change the stock bridge pickup for a Crunch Lab 7.

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

The thing is, if the difference is in the depth of the cavity, then the guitar needs routing. If the difference is in the length of the cavity, then I could just sand that metal part on the bottom of the pickup, right?
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
What about some Oni pups? Dan would probably be able to engineer something to fit without modification, and the pickups would blow the Carvins out of the water.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
The Dirt Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostjan View Post
What about some Oni pups? Dan would probably be able to engineer something to fit without modification, and the pickups would blow the Carvins out of the water.
There are guys who run GFS pickups and have them blow Carvins out of the water
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Hammer of the Gods

shanejohnson02 is just really niceshanejohnson02 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Not quite, the Carvin routes were changed, for RING MOUNT only, to accomodate the coverred pickups carvin added to their selection. Direct mount routes cannot get coverred pickups and remained unchanged. The day Carvin makes it easier to put in pickups that aren't theirs will be a very good day.
Well, there you have it, then.

shanejohnson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Are they really good? I love Oni guitars but I never heard anything about their pickups.
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Are they really good? I love Oni guitars but I never heard anything about their pickups.
I mine, and I've never considered replacing them. I need to do some clips. I've got them in several of my soundclick recordings.

Unread 01-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Quote:
I mine, and I've never considered replacing them. I need to do some clips. I've got them in several of my soundclick recordings.
but he makes them depending on the woods of the guitar or he has only one model?
also, I need to worry about taxes and customs
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
Spastic Kitchen!

Quote:
but he makes them depending on the woods of the guitar or he has only one model?
also, I need to worry about taxes and customs
Mine were all completely made-to-order.

The situation with customs might be a deterrent. In the USA, we have some pretty nice trade agreements with Australia. I'm not sure of the trade situation in the EU.

Unread 01-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Mine were all completely made-to-order.

The situation with customs might be a deterrent. In the USA, we have some pretty nice trade agreements with Australia. I'm not sure of the trade situation in the EU.
I think it will depend on the price. A lot, really. Do you know, more or less, how much it would cost?
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #19
Spastic Kitchen!

Quote:
I think it will depend on the price. A lot, really. Do you know, more or less, how much it would cost?
I'd suggest checking out the Oni website and emailing dan at oniguitars. Maybe Dan can share some experience shipping to the EU.

Unread 01-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Quote:
I'd suggest checking out the Oni website and emailing dan at oniguitars. Maybe Dan can share some experience shipping to the EU.
I just emailed him, thanks for your help, dude!