homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

View Poll Results: What is your preference
Alnico V 10 38.46%
Ceramic 16 61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Regular SS Orgasm

Joel2 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alnico V vs. Ceramic

What do you think about this in terms of 7 string guitars? I'm pretty sure that you would want to stay away from the looser bass response of Alnico II except for possibly clean single-coil tones. Please tell me what you think. It seems that ceramic magnets tend to push higher output, but is it really necessary if your pickups are balanced. Thanks in advance!
Joel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
x2n7 has ceramic, so thats my vote
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm a ceramic bitch, I just love the 81.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
Tin Foil Central

God Hand Apostle is a name known to allGod Hand Apostle is a name known to allGod Hand Apostle is a name known to allGod Hand Apostle is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Some of my favorite pickups have Alnico V bars; JB, 59, Custom..etc. Much more versitile, but if you want to play metal all the time....Ceramic.
God Hand Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Alnico for the neck, ceramic for the bridge. Simple!

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I'm a ceramic bitch, I just love the 81.
I thought EMGs were alnico?

Oh, and I'm the second alnico vote.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
EMG 85/707s are alnico. 81s are ceramic.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

crowbarfan77 is on a distinguished road
To me it depends on the wood the guitars made of. If its mahogany I would go with the ceramic.For METAL anyway.
crowbarfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 11:49 PM   #9
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I play all metal all the time, and the JB-7 is my bridge pickup. Alnico V all the way. I can still play metal and have warm guitar tone.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

frank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
In case you were wondering, all the Dimarzio 7s (AFAIK) are all ceramic. So even though the TZ is Alnico, the TZ7 is ceramic. I'm pretty sure the Duncan JB/59 set I had was ceramic too. I happen to think an A5 makes a decent 7-string pickup, but a huge majority of 7's are ceramic. And when I say huge majority, I mean every Duncan & Dimarzio I've seen, including the PAF7. Maybe I didn't check the 59/JB set from my Schecter before I sold them, but I think I did. Anyway the Dimarzio's are all ceramic, so if you're voting Alnico because of the magnets in their 6-string counterparts, you're voting incorrectly.
frank falbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Shoot, that's a tough question. I love my Swineshead CL7N, and that's Alnico, but most of my guitars have ceramic pickups, just because they are more readily available.

It totally depends on the position, and the tone you are looking for. From my experience, a ceramic magnet works pretty well for bridge position, but it totally depends on the windings, too. Think of how different an EVO7 and AN7 sound.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 04:17 AM   #12
Regular SS Orgasm

Joel2 will become famous soon enough
^^
Yeah, there might be an insufficient sample of Alnico V's.
Joel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 04:23 AM   #13
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank falbo
In case you were wondering, all the Dimarzio 7s (AFAIK) are all ceramic. So even though the TZ is Alnico, the TZ7 is ceramic. I'm pretty sure the Duncan JB/59 set I had was ceramic too. I happen to think an A5 makes a decent 7-string pickup, but a huge majority of 7's are ceramic. And when I say huge majority, I mean every Duncan & Dimarzio I've seen, including the PAF7. Maybe I didn't check the 59/JB set from my Schecter before I sold them, but I think I did. Anyway the Dimarzio's are all ceramic, so if you're voting Alnico because of the magnets in their 6-string counterparts, you're voting incorrectly.
JB's are not ceramic. Niether the 6 nor 7 string versions. Alnico 5 all the way. (I have physically removed the JB-7 magnet to attest it is indeed A5. It now resides in my AN7. ) SD lists the 59 as Alnico 5, and since both 6 and 7 versions are A5 on the JB, makes sense the same is true on the 59.

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

BrianCarroll is a jewel in the rough
Ceramic all the way

Telling us you hate our music only makes us play it LOUDER
BrianCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #15
SS Contributor

No ConeSS will become famous soon enough
I am a ceramic fan. I want to convert my RG170 over to the EMG 81/60 paring, instead of the ZW or KK 81/85 parings because the 60 is a ceramic neck pup, instead of an alnico bridge pup in the neck slot. I liked the sound of the 60 on EMG's site. Also, my V has Dirty Fingers (original circa '84) and they are ceramic. I completely love the sound of those.
No ConeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #16
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
this has always confused me; alnico is a mixture of metals ALuminium,NIckel and CObalt. Obviously ceramic isnt a truncated form, but how does one go about making rock magnetic?
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #17
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Ceramic (ferrite) magnets are composed of strontium carbonate and iron oxide.
First text description off of google...

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #18
maybe this year

rummy is a glorious beacon of lightrummy is a glorious beacon of lightrummy is a glorious beacon of light
A5 and A2

Love the ToneZone, and the Paf Pro
rummy is offline   Reply With Quote