homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Viking Lord

Firebeard is just really niceFirebeard is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EMGs

I personally LOVE an EMG 85 at the bridge but feel I'm in the minority. From what I read the EMG 707 is 85 guts in a 35DC shell. Why do people love them for 7s but would rather an 81 in their 6? Are the 81-7s hard to get or out of production? And is the housing the only difference? I've heard things like "They may call it the same and add a 7 but it has a totally different tone" about some other companies. As soon as I can sell a few of my 6s I'm going head on into either an RG w/ EMGs or an LTD H-207 w/o them. (Is it possible to put EMGs in the H-207 with that carve top?)

Sśmunder Firebeard
Firebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yeah, the Jackson COW is arch-top and has an emg 707.

I'm pretty sure that almost everyone that has a 707 in the bridge is because the 81-7 is pretty hard to get. As far as I know, it can only be found on ESP/Ltd guitars and through www.guitarpartsdepot.com
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
The 707 isn't purely an 85. It's more of a blend between the 85 and 81. I talked to the people at EMG before about it, it's definitely a new design.
zimbloth is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
The 707 is pretty much the Dino pickup as it was made at his request.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-EJ915
well...the COW has the 81-7...

The 707 is pretty much the Dino pickup as it was made at his request, the 81-7 is kind of a response to that to make their offerings for 7-strings like the 6-strings but I guess it's kind of the COW model...you could say.
Sorry, but you're wrong. The COW uses a 707, as it says on Jackson's site. I'd recognize a 81-7, because my Stars had one in it when I bought. It's a very thin, sterile sounding pickup. Then again, that is my opinion of the 81, so I'm biased.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

jtm45 has much to be proud ofjtm45 has much to be proud ofjtm45 has much to be proud ofjtm45 has much to be proud ofjtm45 has much to be proud ofjtm45 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The general concensus seems to be that the 707 is much more popular than the 81-7.
There's plenty of places (or a few at least)that have the 81-7 for sale so i don't think it's a case of not being able to get them.

I have a 707 in a 7 and an 81 (and 85 combo)in a 6 and they definately don't sound the same to me.
jtm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
guitar center can order 81-7's...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #8
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Any EMG dealer can. Guitarpartsdepot is just the only one who sell them online is all.
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #9
tacos?

Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.
Machinehead in the UK does both, now which is better as a neck pup and vice versa? i know its subjective as hell but would i be right in saying if i wanted a 81/85 (bridge-neck) like in my six, then the best combo for a seven would be 81-7/707

Knights that say
Mr. S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #10
Nick // Axe Palace

Yes that would be right.
Unread 07-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #11
tacos?

Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.
horray for my master detective skills

Knights that say
Mr. S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It the same housing, neither is easy to get, but they aren't hard to get as long as you have the internet or live near an authorized EMG dealer. The 81-7 is crunchy as hell, but the 707 is still crunchy. Neither make really great neck pickups IMO, but they are the best rhythm bridge pickups I've come across so far.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 09:49 PM   #13
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Hmmm the EMG that Dino designed wasn't the EMG707DC?

Maybe is just a name and are the same pup...
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #14
that guy

Dylan7620 is just really niceDylan7620 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikt
in many intervews Dino mention that when EMG was working with him on the 707 design they made a limited run of those pickups (first year production of this model or even something like pre factory). Then they decided to change something I don't remember what was that all about, less highs or something and today it is a normal 707.

I know that some time ago 707DC were for sale on some websites. and theye are actives too (bostjan so please mark it in right place)

EDIT: I found only this one on the web. I remember that there were some reviews on HC but that was like 3 years ago and now I don't see them. Could someone aske some people How 707DC sound comparing to normal 707 and is it custom and can we still buy it??

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/pluged...o_cazares.html

"IBANEZ: What about your guitars?
DINO: Iím using custom made Ibanez 7-string RGís, with EMG 707-DC model pickups, but I also like the regular EMG 707 pickups. I just have a chorus pedal for effect when I do the clean tones. Iím a pretty straightforward, ripping kind of guy (laughs)."

from said thread: The big list of pickups (7 only)

"are there gonna be snacks? i heard there were gonna be snacks."
Dylan7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

jtm45 has much to be proud ofjtm45 has much to be proud ofjtm45 has much to be proud ofjtm45 has much to be proud ofjtm45 has much to be proud ofjtm45 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would imagine the one in my guitar is a 707DC as the guitar was made for Dino in 2001.
It does sound slightly different to other (newer) 707's i've tried but they've been in quite different guitars to mine so it's hard to give them an equal comparison really.
jtm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2006, 04:11 AM   #16
Furor Teutonicus

Brord is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I like to have some beef in my sound and not sound like a razor.... I think I'd prefer dual 707's or a 707 in the bridge position and a 81-7 in the neck position.... It sounds more balanced to me.
Brord is offline   Reply With Quote