homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

CaptSammy will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Schecter Dimarzio PU quest

I have my first 7string arriving tomorrow and looking to tweak her into more af a versatile blues machine.

To be honest its probably placing the cart before the horse, as I am also new to guitars in general and learning.

As an engineer I seem to always want to tweak things BEFORE they show their weaknesses, fault of mine.

My guitar is a Schecter C7 Diamond Series Classic. She has the stock two POTs and a three way switch with a pair of Duncan humbuckers.

I target Blues/Classic Rock/Jazz (in that order) and looking for versatility among that selection with an occasional metal shred to play with.

What would a good pickup selection be and best electronics swap to provide that versatility?

My current plan is a D-Sonic and a PAF7. I am wondering if that is a good fit and if I could gain even more with a push/pull POT upgrade.

I would also be in need of a schematic for the final solution.

I hope this is the best place for this question.

Thanks,
Sam
CaptSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think that pickup combo will work great for you, the PAF7 is super versatile.

I do think you should look into a push/pull pot, for coil tapping the pickups, especially if you want that stinging, singing blues tone.

For diagrams, look here: GuitarElectronics.com Guitar Parts Electronics Pickups Harware Strings Accessories Wiring Diagrams.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

frank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome, I see you're new here. I work for Seymour Duncan but I didn't always, and hopefully around here I'm seen as objective, and not biased by my company affiliation. A couple things you'll appreciate from the mind of an engineer: All Dimarzio 7-string pickups use ceramic magnets, even when their 6-string counterparts use Alnico V. Dimarzio claims that they wind their 7-string pickups with that in mind, and voice them accordingly, and in the end you have to let your ears be the judge. They are still a successful pickup company, and that wouldn't happen unless people liked the way their pickups sounded.

The reason I bring it up to you in particular is your bend toward blues/classic rock/jazz. Those tones are generally associated with Alnico magnet pickups rather than ceramic. After you get the PAF7, you might try swapping the Alnico magnet from the Duncan Designed pickup into the Dimarzio. (you can read all about magnet swaps on this forum and other pickup related forums) If you go with the D-Sonic in the bridge, leave it stock.
frank falbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

CaptSammy will become famous soon enough
MaxOfMetal: That diagram resource is INCREDIBLE! If I am not mistaken, the best choice for my application would be:
GuitarElectronics.com Guitar Wiring Diagram 2 Humbuckers/3-Way Toggle Switch/1 Volume/0Tone/001

frank falbo: Since you are familiar with Duncan, can you recommend a Duncan solution?

I will research the magnet swap idea.

Thanks guys!
CaptSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

dnoel86 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I've got a set of PAF7's with an alnico 8 in the bridge and a 5 in the neck, and they sound 10x better than stock. Far less dry, and the bridge sounds a touch more aggressive.
dnoel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Solstafir is just really niceSolstafir is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank falbo View Post
If you go with the D-Sonic in the bridge, leave it stock.
I've read of someone doing the magnet swap with not good at all results
Solstafir is offline   Reply With Quote