homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Max Dread has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do Elixirs and other coated strings cause more (and/or quicker) fret wear.....

.....when compared to regular strings?

I was just reading about how DM Blue Steels can cause more fret wear (being steel rather than Nickel).

Got me thinking about Elixirs and such.......
Max Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Untilted

Hosenbugler has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In my experience, Elixirs cause less fret wear, likely because they are (or at least they feel) "smoother", due to the coating.

Elixirs are just the best in every way, as far as I'm concerned. Some may consider them too expensive, but I reckon they actually work out cheaper in the long run.
Hosenbugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Turd Ferguson

yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Yes if anything the coating would lessen fret wear.
yellowv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

Thanks guys...

How about GHS Infinity Coated strings:

GHS ISXL Infinity Steel Black Coated Guitar Strings Guitar Strings at Music123.

I think being steel strings they WILL cause more fret wear, but never used them so not too sure.

Any one used them/got opinions? I do fancy stringing my guitars up with black strings for a change!
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

onefingersweep is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you're concerned about fretwear, get stainless steel frets.
onefingersweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
Thanks guys...

How about GHS Infinity Coated strings:

GHS ISXL Infinity Steel Black Coated Guitar Strings Guitar Strings at Music123.

I think being steel strings they WILL cause more fret wear, but never used them so not too sure.

Any one used them/got opinions? I do fancy stringing my guitars up with black strings for a change!
my rg7621 is in need of a few things. i will see if my local sam ash has some of these and try them. i havent heard of them till now.
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

I'm being thick - didn't account for the fact that they do not have seven string sets. And I think it will look pretty daft if the low B isn't black as well.....
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
SS Contributor

Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've used Blue Steel strings for many many years now and have never ever had a problem with fret wear because of them. I guess if you play your guitar 10 hours a day everyday you might notice some fret wear over a very long time span, but seriously? And to be honest even if it did wear frets out a bit quicker than nickel strings how much are we talking here? I certainly have never had a problem with them all these years and still buy them to this day.

Rev.

Rev2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Coated strings have a coating of a GoreTex-like membrane on them. (In the case of Elixirs, they're actually made by W.L. Gore, so it's likely the genuine article.)

This membrane is much softer than metal, and will actually flake off over a very extended period.

Stainless steel strings, on the other hand, are quite hard on nickel-silver frets.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
Tu ne cede malis

Soopahmahn is just really niceSoopahmahn is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Coated strings have a coating of a GoreTex-like membrane on them. (In the case of Elixirs, they're actually made by W.L. Gore, so it's likely the genuine article.)

This membrane is much softer than metal, and will actually flake off over a very extended period.

Stainless steel strings, on the other hand, are quite hard on nickel-silver frets.
+1.

Anything harder than the NiAg fret alloy will wear the frets, and the harder it is the faster the abrasion will occur. I bet that the coated strings cause dramatically reduced fret wear overall. Strings wrapped in stainless steel will definitely wear NiAg quickly.

I agree that this is really not worth getting worked up over. If you are concerned about it, the next time you get a re-fret pay the extra for stainless steel frets and they'll last forever.
Soopahmahn is offline   Reply With Quote