homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

DarkMythras is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pickups for a walnut guitar?

I'm going to be building a maple necked, walnut bodied guitar with an ebony fretboard this summer, and I'm not sure what pickups would work well.

I want this guitar to be super versatile, being able to do jazz cleans but as the same time high gain death metal

I want to try the Crunchlab/Liquifire combo, but again I'm stumped as to what pickups will respond well in walnut

I'm under the impression that a thin walnut body will be brighter than mahogany but fairly warm, am I mistaken?

Much thanks for any tips!
DarkMythras is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
ive played only maple basses, but your description would be accurate there.

i have the Crunchlab and Liquifire in a mahogany body with a maple top. Sounds amazing. i think your choice will work.
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

matttttYCE is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know what I'd do... EMG 81 (b), 60 (n) with the 18v mod, but that's just me (don't flame me too bad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMythras View Post
I'm under the impression that a thin walnut body will be brighter than mahogany but fairly warm, am I mistaken?
I believe you are correct, sir. More dense than mahogany resulting in a brighter sound with more complex midrange. Have a read here wood pictures and tonality - crimsonguitars.com

Get brutal
matttttYCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

heh I have no hate for EMGs, I actually just put an 81-7 and 707tw in my Schecter a month back

thanks for the link, nasally sounds kinda icky...but I guess that site says that mahogany is nasally too.

How does the CL/LF sound tapped? Want this baby to be able to do everything

Thanks a ton guys!
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

matttttYCE is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMythras View Post

heh I have no hate for EMGs, I actually just put an 81-7 and 707tw in my Schecter a month back

thanks for the link, nasally sounds kinda icky...but I guess that site says that mahogany is nasally too.

How does the CL/LF sound tapped? Want this baby to be able to do everything

Thanks a ton guys!
Heh nice! You're welcome. And if mahogany is nasally, I want all of my guitars to sound like they've got ....ing sinus infections!

Sorry I have no help on the CL/LF. But from some of the good things I've heard about them, I just might have to branch out from all I've ever known in EMGs and active pickups, and give those a try. I'd like to know how they sound tapped as well, so anybody who knows, please chime in!

Get brutal
matttttYCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

shogunate is a jewel in the rough
Walnut is an awesome, awesome tonewood. Making sure you've got the right pickups to bring out the best in it is gonna be tough. Between it and probably bubinga are the sickest woods I've ever heard acoustically from a guitar.

I got to play a hollowbody walnut guitar for a few months while it sat in my local shop, ebony fingerboard as well, and the prior owner installed the old duncan livewire classics (NOT a traditional active sound, NOT emgish), and it was my favorite clean tone I ever had the pleasure of hearing. Very nice for jazz and anything clean, of course being a hollowbody I never had a chance to put it through metal paces. Walnut is very percussive and tight, a little more dynamic and touch sensitive to my ears than mahogany.

I'd recommend some high output high headroom pups like BKPs (cold sweats would enhance the walnut sound for sure), or maybe a blackout for the bridge and something more tame at the neck. If you love dimarzios the tone zone may fit your bill, I myself don't know dimarzios too well though. What other specific tones are you looking to get out of it?
shogunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

george galatis has a spectacular aura about
Walnut:
A darker wood with Ash-like grains, but like mahogany, the density is uniform. It is harder and denser than Mahogany so the tone is brighter, but the open grains make for a complex midrange that seems to be compressed in some frequencies, but dynamic in others. Thereís a nasal response to rhythms, while solo notes jump out. It has a lot of advantageous features of the other main guitar woods. It has a snappy attack and solid lows like Ash, but with smooth highs like Mahogany, and textured mids like Alder. The drawbacks are that itís heavier, and more stubborn in its sound. It doesnít respond to random pickup changes. The pickups have to be well suited to the guitar. A Walnut body will dictate the tonal signature of the guitar more than the other main woods. A heavy piece will dampen the mids to produce an overly nasal and lifeless sound, so it needs to be light and open grained enough to resonate the main guitar frequencies.

Production notes: Again watch for heavy pieces. The extra weight adds nothing good to the sound except perhaps more sustain. But sustain is abundant in Walnut already.

from here: Guitar Wood FAQ - Wood Types & Tones

http://www.myspace.com/giomilko

Θρήνος βαρύς επέφτει
george galatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

Thanks guys!

George, I saw the line about the pickups being suited to the guitar, hence why I'm here asking which pickups would work best

Shogun, I'm hopefully going to be using this guitar for everything, from comping jazz chords to high gain death metal, kinda like Opeth-ish stuff.

Again, thanks for all your input guys!
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

george galatis has a spectacular aura about
Q-tuners: World's first neodymium guitar and bass pickups.

http://www.myspace.com/giomilko

Θρήνος βαρύς επέφτει
george galatis is offline   Reply With Quote