homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
Cherokee Warrior

TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Complete Dimarzio Pickup Routing Specs/Wiring Diagrams

For those of you wanting to make pickup routing templates to exacting tolerances, here you go.

Steve Blucher himself emailed these to me a couple of years ago around the time I started at Warmoth.

As a bonus, here's some wiring diagrams he's also sent me over the years.

This is the current wire scheme I have in my RG7620, replacing the JPM wire scheme that follows it.

JPM

JPM minus the tone pot

pondman, 7stg, joaocunha and 3 others like this.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=268162
Seven Strings to rule them all, Seven Strings to find them, Seven Strings to bring them all and in the music bind them.
TonyFlyingSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 137 reviews
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Rootbeer

Jem7RB is just really niceJem7RB is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome !!!
Jem7RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
7 String Engineer

Martin_777 is just really niceMartin_777 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool! Thanks for sharing!

You haven't seen me angry!
Martin_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Deftones Guru.

BrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to behold
Yes, I now have wiring diagrams for when I put my DiMarzios in my 7........ Oh, wait; they're already in there. Oh well, I can use these for future reference.

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, Jakke and -42.

I am Poi; The Ipu pounding, Ukulele shredding rapey clown, who ruins childhood dreams of balloon animals!
BrainArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
i hate you all

simsklok is just really nicesimsklok is just really nice
I'm putting a PAF in my bridge on my S7320, is this the correct Dimarzio supplied diagram?
http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/E.pdf
simsklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Cherokee Warrior

TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsklok View Post
I'm putting a PAF in my bridge on my S7320, is this the correct Dimarzio supplied diagram?
http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/E.pdf
It will certainly work with it, it just depends on what switching options you are looking for.

The options are explained in the summary, such as the first one I posted above. The diagram you posted a link to has a few different options, which are actually the stock switching options on many Ibanez 2 humbucker equipped guitars, such as the RG7620. I just decided that for my applications, having the neck pickup available in either series or parallel made no difference to me. I'd rather have the splitting options as I've chosen as I've found that I'm growing more fond of having some single coil options for my clean tones & that I never play both humbuckers simultaniously in full humbucking mode. It's either one, the other, humbucking or split, or a combination of both split.

To each his own though, that's why there are so many options. The Allparts multipole switch was only $17.00USD so it makes experimenting reasonably affordable.

Seven Strings to rule them all, Seven Strings to find them, Seven Strings to bring them all and in the music bind them.
Unread 02-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Rich5150 is just really niceRich5150 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
TFS thanks for this. I didnt realize i could do th JP split with a tele switch. Ill have to try that this weekend i have a Crunchlab/Liqifire set coming in
Rich5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
Jacob-7

jacobgenocide7 is headed in the right direction.
im a very beginner at rewiring and i have a guitar i need to fix the wiring in, would someone here be able to make a diagram if i give them the specs?
jacobgenocide7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Cherokee Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobgenocide7 View Post
im a very beginner at rewiring and i have a guitar i need to fix the wiring in, would someone here be able to make a diagram if i give them the specs?
What kind of guitar, how many pickups, what kind in each position, how many pots, what type of p/u selector switch?

Unread 06-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
How come all i can find is 3 way tele style switches, and 5 ways with 12 ....ing leads?
Am i the only person in the world that has a 5 way switch with 8 leads??
I've never even seen a switch like the 5 way multipole that is in all the diagrams and i'v been wiring my own guitars for years.

Confront and Destroy!
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
ss.org Regular

GreenEyezzz is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have a diagram which actually shows what is being switched? I would like to understand what is happening so I can measure out whatever switch I find. Specifically interested in the JPM "center position coil tap hum canceling" switch mode with no tonepot!

Thanks guys!
GreenEyezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

emperor_black is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How does this diagram

translate to a 3-way switch that looks like this...with all the terminals lined up instead of staggered like in the diagram?

Also, in the wiring diagram, it says to solder red and green together? I thought always red was hot and that green and bare go to ground. Or is that for the JPM type of connection?

Axe-Fx Ultra -> FBT Verve 12ma
emperor_black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 01:37 AM   #14
Fire and Brimstone

Nights_Blood is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor_black View Post
How does this diagram

(huge picture)

translate to a 3-way switch that looks like this...with all the terminals lined up instead of staggered like in the diagram?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:6lTZsnvJRrwPkM:b

Also, in the wiring diagram, it says to solder red and green together? I thought always red was hot and that green and bare go to ground. Or is that for the JPM type of connection?

In case you haven't found it.

Now could anyone help me with this? I want this, except with positions 2 and 4 to be parallel instead of split, while keeping position 3 the same.

Nights_Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Cherokee Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5150 View Post
TFS thanks for this. I didnt realize i could do th JP split with a tele switch. Ill have to try that this weekend i have a Crunchlab/Liqifire set coming in
After experimenting with all of these different switching options, I've actually reverted back to standard 3 way switching, no splitting. I've just added a bit more treble on my cleans and found that I have all of the fullness with the clarity by doing that, so I'm back to a standard LP type of 3 way on my TFS6 and a Tele style 3 way blade switch on my RG7620.

I'm still glad to have experimented with these various options, it just helps you solidify the choices you've settled upon after taking the time to scrutinize over the benefits or consequences of each of them.

Unread 03-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #16
Scotty G!

Aerospace274 is a jewel in the rough
How about 8 string D Activators?

-I'm an 8 string guitarist, not an 8th string guitarist.

-Music is an expression of emotion, not a challenge of who can play faster or who can tune lower.
Aerospace274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

salewatchesuk is on a distinguished road
For those of you wanting to make pickup routing templates to exacting tolerances, here you go.

Steve Blucher himself emailed these to me a couple of years ago around the time I started at Warmoth.
salewatchesuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

longfalcon is a jewel in the rough
how does the EP1111 3-way switch work? i have never been able to find a switching diagram
longfalcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #19
Cherokee Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfalcon View Post
how does the EP1111 3-way switch work? i have never been able to find a switching diagram
Unfortunately, I don't have that answer. The only diagram I have is the JPM above, so I couldn't comment on further wire diagrams.

I can only imagine that if you eliminated connecting the (Bridge) white/black and (Neck) red/green wires, you'd have a standard 3 way, with a shorter switch post, which is a complete comfort/feel issue between the EP #1111 and a standard LP styled 3 way.

Unread 07-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

astm is a jewel in the rough
I think that this should be added to the first post. Took this screenshot from the dimarzio website

TonyFlyingSquirrel likes this.
astm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #21
ss.org Regular

Jahanasaurus will become famous soon enough
I'm wanting to wire my Dimarzio CL/LF 7 set up like my JP6 with a 3 way blade switch. Is this just the same as the "tele switch" and will the diagram posted up there be what I'm looking for? Bridge/Inner Coils/Neck ? Also, which way do I look at that switch? is left hand side to the neck? I'm a total wiring noob but I can't afford to have a tech do it when I'm spending so much on parts, haha!

Guitar Tutor In the Edinburgh/West lothian Area: www.jahan-tabrizi.co.uk

Free Online Tuition:

www.Youtube.com/accessibleleadguitar
www.facebook.com/accessibleleadguitar
Jahanasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
Banned

The Only Factor is a jewel in the rough
Due to seeing a LOT of members asking how to wire in DiMarzio pickups into thier RG7XXX's & S7X20's, I think this diagram NEEDS to be in here since it's not already and will avoid members asking "why don't this sound right" or "why don't my switch work in these positions"...

Diagram for wiring DiMarzio pickups into Ibanez RG & S 7-strings w/ 2 humbuckers:

I can't say how many times I myself (both here on the boards and in-person...) and others have had to tell people to use this diagram so they don't have problems because they wired their pickups in wrong or someone else gave them the wrong diagram... This will clarify things and take any and all guess work out of the equation.
O00Coolzero00O and rahahoo like this.
The Only Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

SavM will become famous soon enough
Hi guys,
I have an Ibanez s470 and I'm replacing just the bridge and neck with d-activators.
Will I have to re wire the original ibanez middle pickup to work with the d-activators? or can I just wire in the new pickups leaving the single coil alone?
I've been looking at google for days but can't find the answer.
SavM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
SS Contributor

Whammy is a splendid one to beholdWhammy is a splendid one to beholdWhammy is a splendid one to beholdWhammy is a splendid one to beholdWhammy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavM View Post
Hi guys,
I have an Ibanez s470 and I'm replacing just the bridge and neck with d-activators.
Will I have to re wire the original ibanez middle pickup to work with the d-activators? or can I just wire in the new pickups leaving the single coil alone?
I've been looking at google for days but can't find the answer.
If you wire the D-Activators in the same way the previous pickups are wired then the middle pickup will function the same way as always.
SavM likes this.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #25
I AM POONHAMMER

METAL_WIZARD is just really niceMETAL_WIZARD is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I need a diagram for 2 four conductor humbuckers, 2 volumes, 2 way toggle and no tone. Anyone?

Agile Septor 727/625>Sennheiser Freeport wireless>Boss CH-1 Super Chorus>Peavey 6505+>4x12(WGS V30s)
https://soundcloud.com/jimbo-bunn
https://soundcloud.com/teravega
METAL_WIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote