homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

ozone_00 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
8 string tune-o-matic?

I've been toying with the idea of an 8 string custom build and was wondering if anybody made an 8 string tune-o-matic, possibly with stopbar tailpiece. I did some googling and the only thing I could find was this guy in Laos that designed one on CAD and had it custom machined. Does anybody know of anyone making (or planning to make) an 8 string tune-o-matic? Has anyone ever had any parts custom machined?
ozone_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Metaljim is just really niceMetaljim is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't think the low F# would be able to intonate on a tune-o-matic. The saddle wouldn't have enough travel. Should work on an 8 if it was tuned like a 7 with a high a or g though.
Metaljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaljim View Post
I don't think the low F# would be able to intonate on a tune-o-matic. The saddle wouldn't have enough travel. Should work on an 8 if it was tuned like a 7 with a high a or g though.
Worked just fine on the Robert Conti 8-string.

MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #4

Andrew_B is just really niceAndrew_B is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
negative,

never seen one

probably a good thing,
iv heard about toms on lp's warping and cupping over time...
and 8 would be a fair bit of floating metal between two posts....
Andrew_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
sje
ss.org Regular

sje will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaljim View Post
As I am the guy who was in Laos and I just found this thread via google I thought I reply.

There is absolutely no problems with intonation.

Obviously the important part is locating the bridge correctly ensuring that the scale is measured with the saddles at the front of the bridge. Well actually it probably more optimal to measure it with the saddle half way from the centre to the front.

Here is my bridge fully intonated - note the saddle position for low F# (well F in this case) still has lots and lots of movement.

You might notice I say 'was in Laos' as I am now in Singapore and as I am now in the developed world again I will be in the next few months discussing with a few companies about get these bridges in production. As the test version I got produced in Thailand came out pretty good - sure there is a few minor alterations needed but they are very minor and it plays and sound good.

In terms of wear and tear - my intention like the test version is for them to be solid Stainless Steel (saddles included). They also have locking strews to stop movement of the bridges.

When I get updates in terms of production I'll let people know - in the mean time any questions . . . let me know!
sje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
Probrem?

ivancic1al is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for posting! Welcome to the forum.
ivancic1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
Fogdiver

Malacoda is just really niceMalacoda is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sje View Post
As I am the guy who was in Laos and I just found this thread via google I thought I reply.

There is absolutely no problems with intonation.

Obviously the important part is locating the bridge correctly ensuring that the scale is measured with the saddles at the front of the bridge. Well actually it probably more optimal to measure it with the saddle half way from the centre to the front.

Here is my bridge fully intonated - note the saddle position for low F# (well F in this case) still has lots and lots of movement.

http://www.sjeguitars.com/8string/IMG_4479.JPG

You might notice I say 'was in Laos' as I am now in Singapore and as I am now in the developed world again I will be in the next few months discussing with a few companies about get these bridges in production. As the test version I got produced in Thailand came out pretty good - sure there is a few minor alterations needed but they are very minor and it plays and sound good.

In terms of wear and tear - my intention like the test version is for them to be solid Stainless Steel (saddles included). They also have locking strews to stop movement of the bridges.

When I get updates in terms of production I'll let people know - in the mean time any questions . . . let me know!
These will be very popular! Looking forward to them

Existential Animals - instrumental tech-death FFO Gorod, The Faceless, Animals as Leaders, Blotted Science, etc.

Name-your-price downloads at existentialanimals.bandcamp.com. New EP out now!
Malacoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Overlord of Music

screamindaemon has a spectacular aura about
Excellent news!!!
I have been searching high and low for 8 string TOMs.
I had considered custom machining, but that would be a pricey route I was not willing to go down at the time.

To Mr Sje (or anyone who many know), what scale neck and gauge of strings are you using on that guitar?
I notice the your F# and B (or I suppose F and C in your case) strings are intonated very close to the front of the bridge. In all other situations, the opposite is true.
I am just curious as to why this is.
Also, it is difficult to see in this picture, but has the bridge been routed such that it is at a small angle in respect to the finger board?

Thanks for taking the time to search this out, join our little forum and reply to our concerns. You are a credit to the music community.

Originally Posted by Djpharoah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM
Wait, Jesus plays an Ibanez?

Obviously - he only plays the best.
screamindaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
sje that's really cool, hope you get the bridge into production

You should take more photos of that 8 string and post a thread in the Extended Range section, as I'm sure lots of people here would love to see more of your guitar.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Sabai dee! Bor hoo mee khon unai muang lao het guitars!

Well I guess I found who's making my next guitar!
Thep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
sje
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamindaemon View Post
Excellent news!!!
I have been searching high and low for 8 string TOMs.
I had considered custom machining, but that would be a pricey route I was not willing to go down at the time.

To Mr Sje (or anyone who many know), what scale neck and gauge of strings are you using on that guitar?
I notice the your F# and B (or I suppose F and C in your case) strings are intonated very close to the front of the bridge. In all other situations, the opposite is true.
I am just curious as to why this is.
Also, it is difficult to see in this picture, but has the bridge been routed such that it is at a small angle in respect to the finger board?

Thanks for taking the time to search this out, join our little forum and reply
to our concerns. You are a credit to the music community.
Hi,
Well the reason is pretty simple - I angled the bridge as you would normally on a 6 string version and as I mentioned above I positioned the bridge at the scale length based on the saddle at the front of the bridge.

Really it didn't need this amount of compensation since the bridge itself is actually wider than at 6 string so has more intonation adjustment. On that note the bridge has been designed completely from the ground up - it isn't just a copy of a 6 string with 2 more strings.

The scale length on that guitar is 30.5" - this was used to allow the use of lighter low 7 & 8 string since when I designed the guitar my intention was to make one with as narrow a neck as possible. The Nut width is 50mm and the string spacing on the bridge is 70mm. The low 8 string is .068 and the other strings are a .054 set (if I recall rightly).

Quote:
Sabai dee! Bor hoo mee khon unai muang lao het guitars!

Well I guess I found who's making my next guitar!
Sabaidee koi bor yuu lao diao nee, koi yuu don muang Singapore . ..

unfortunately due to this my guitar building is on hold since there is nowhere I can have a work shop here. So I am turning my attention to the parts mainly the bridges and pickups. Obviously I won't be making wooden bobbins like I made in that 8 string anymore.
Unread 03-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #12
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Were you building in Vientiane? What are you doing in Singapore and are you planning on going back?
Thep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
sje
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thep View Post
Were you building in Vientiane? What are you doing in Singapore and are you planning on going back?
Hi there,
Yes I was building in Vientiane. I am in Singapore for work so won't be back in Vientiane very often.

But we'll see . ..
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

Thanks for chiming in sje. Imagine my surprise when I saw that you joined the forum just to respond to my post. Anyway please keep us up to date on the status of your bridge if you offer it for sale.
Unread 04-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #15
Stupid, apparently

The Echthros is a jewel in the rough
Was just wondering about how I would go about finding an 8 string tune-o-matic. I would really like to see one like the tonepros made and have it recessed. this made my day really! keep us updated!
The Echthros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
sje
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_echthros_777 View Post
Was just wondering about how I would go about finding an 8 string tune-o-matic. I would really like to see one like the tonepros made and have it recessed. this made my day really! keep us updated!
Things are a bit slow at the mo. still getting the rest of my life sorted since the move - so things are on the back plate at the mo. Although I am gaining via my every day work better contacts in the manufacturing side in China so all being well I'll be able use them once I get to the point of a sample build.

On the side of recessing - the actual bottom of my design is flat - so if the guitar is designed and built correctly then it's flush to the body anyway, without the need to recess.

Anyway as when things progress I'll keep you informed.

Unread 09-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

Well, sje's website has been down for several months so his 8 string TOM is on hiatus at the very least. Would a fixed bridge like the ones made by Hipshot work on a carved top LP style guitar?
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #18
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone_00 View Post
Well, sje's website has been down for several months so his 8 string TOM is on hiatus at the very least. Would a fixed bridge like the ones made by Hipshot work on a carved top LP style guitar?
As long as the place in which the bridge is going to be mounted is flattened out, or the luthier you're going with makes a custom carved adapter plate of sorts.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #19
ss.org Regular

Any machinists or mechanical designers on the forums?
Unread 10-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #20
ss.org Regular

rockerjeff will become famous soon enough
I have the capability to produce 8-string TOM bridges. If I could obtain the specfic technical information regarding the design and features it must have, then I will consider producing these bridges and getting it to market quickly and with high quality. I am happy to hear all your suggestions and advice regarding the 8-string TOM bridge.

*** I am going to post this in the Dealer section now because of my relationship to Halo Guitars

Industry Affiliations:
Halo Custom Guitars, Inc.
Karma Audio Productions, Inc.
rockerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #21
sje
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerjeff View Post
I have the capability to produce 8-string TOM bridges. If I could obtain the specfic technical information regarding the design and features it must have, then I will consider producing these bridges and getting it to market quickly and with high quality. I am happy to hear all your suggestions and advice regarding the 8-string TOM bridge.

*** I am going to post this in the Dealer section now because of my relationship to Halo Guitars
You have mail!

Sorry guys for my total lack of input - I am only just starting to get some spare time to get this back on track.

I still need to get a pickup winder and get in touch with my old magnet suppliers etc. To start things on that side again . . .

Then again I am off to China for another week next week . . .
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #22
ss.org Regular

Werwolf999 is a jewel in the rough
Will the design specs on these allow them to be a direct replacement for Hipshot bridges? I have an Agile 828 that I'd love to get a TOM bridge for, as I can't play the Hipshot for beans.
Werwolf999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #23
ss.org Regular

rockerjeff will become famous soon enough
Hi Werwolf999, I don't think my design will allow for direct replacement for Hipshot bridges. But, perhaps the original poster's design will work for your needs.

Industry Affiliations:
Halo Custom Guitars, Inc.
Karma Audio Productions, Inc.
rockerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote