homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Pickups, Electronics & General Tech
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Pickups, Electronics & General Tech Pickup selection, wiring, technical questions & other guitar hardware discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

bsnow2 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EMG 81-7 vs. 707?

i'm about to upgrade my Aria 7 from its stock pups and i'm pretty much set on EMGs (i have an 81 in the bridge of my six-string and love it) but can anybody advise me on the difference between the 81-7 and the 707? i'm probably going with either an 81-7/60-7 or a double 707 combo, just wondering what my best bet would be.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful of what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
bsnow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

I_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I like the 707 with a tube amp, and the 81-7 with a solid state. With a tube amp the 81-7 comes across a bit thin at times, and is brighter. 707 in the neck is great for leads, you really can't go wrong with it either in neck or bridge. The 60-7 is a bit more open and full, which is great for cleaner neck position chords and stuff, but for heavier distorted leads I think it's too boomy. Whats the body wood, and what amp are you using?

EDIT: if you want a ton of versatility and gain, get Duncan blackouts.

Extended Scale Destroyer of Worlds

Still searching for the perfect cab...
I_infect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

not sure of the wood, but I play through a Boogie Mark IV, all tube (obviously)

EDIT: did some research, the body is alder

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful of what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Unread 12-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Phlegethon is a jewel in the rough
I would go for the 707 in this application . . .it's my opinion that the 81-7 would favour frequencies that would make an alder bodied guitar sound like someone would be jabbing an icepick in one's ear(much like a 6 string 81). to the best of my knowledge, the 707 is rather similar to the 85 in it's overall sound, and I would say that alder needs the low mid boost as (at least to my ears) it's lacking a bit in that area despite being relatively well balanced.

keep in mind that this is excluding anything specific that you need from your pickup swap and just me offering an opinion on how to get the best overall sound. if you need to have a guitar that as I put it "sounds like jabbing an ice pick in one's ear" to fit with a band sound then make adjustments accordingly.

tl;dr: get the 707 so your guitar sounds great after the swap
Phlegethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

I_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of lightI_infect is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
yeah, the 81-7 can be rather shrill. I really only like it through solid states and usually in basswood. In tubes i think it loses its oomph, where the 707 it's the opposite. I never liked the 707s until I tried it through tubes. In my sc607b which has alder wings the 707 has some nice mids and is pretty well rounded. The stock 81-7 wasn't as shrill as I expected in it but the 707 is more well rounded in it.

Extended Scale Destroyer of Worlds

Still searching for the perfect cab...
I_infect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
myspace.com/pygar1

robotsatemygma is just really nicerobotsatemygma is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Alder body + EMG 81 = win.

Alder body + 81-7 = No clue.

I'm pretty bias here when it comes to EMG for 7s. 707 FTW!

I tried 81-7's in a mahogany body SC607B (natural finish) and was horribly turned off. Every joke/comment about 81-7s being thin and tin like, shined through carrying the flag and everything. I eq'd and eq'd but all I heard was tin. Swapped amps... tin.

Now 707's, was just much more rich and full. But it did tend to mush the low B a little bit. Clean wise, awesome. I got great clean tones.
robotsatemygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 04:37 AM   #7
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
in my experience (and that is, an EMG 81 in an alder bodied washburn N2, and EMG 81-7 in an all maple LTD sc607b) the 81-7 sounds nothing like the 81.
I don't mind the 81, it's not my favourite but it's a great metal pickup. The 81-7 I ....ing hated
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going with the 707 but I just remembered that my guitar also has coil tapping built in...will the passive coil tapping circuits still work with the 707 or will I have to get 707TWs?

Unread 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnow2 View Post
thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going with the 707 but I just remembered that my guitar also has coil tapping built in...will the passive coil tapping circuits still work with the 707 or will I have to get 707TWs?
You will have to get the 707TWs Dont write off the Blackouts either. Reason being you won't have to route your guitar to fit in the pickups.

"I wish TV had a knob so you could turn up the intelligence. The one marked Brightness doesn't work."

Gallagher
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Phlegethon is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
yeah, if you want to take advantage of the coil tapping offered on your guitar, although I'm not too sure on how it would be wired up if your coil taps are in the selector switch (ie: ibanez 5 way in a H-H setup) or how the coil taps would work in general . . .I personally wouldn't use it so haven't the knowledge to offer (although I'm sure that wiring it up to either a mini toggle or a 25k push/pull would do the trick. not too sure if the 5 way switch would work though but I'll let someone who knows if it works or not give you a concrete answer)
Phlegethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
ss.org Regular

mark105 is on a distinguished road
I just got my RC7 back from the shop, I had a 707 (bridge) replaced w/ a 81-7. I'm not liking it so far, the tone seems thinner and too bright . I had an 81 in a Les Paul and loved it. The RC7 is alder. Also I'm playing through a line 6 Spider Valve, Not really a tone monster. I'll bet I end up going w/Blackouts. I had them in a Schecter and they sounded very good albeit very high output.

Good luck on your tone quest.
mark105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
No, they won't. You'll need different pots, as well as a new jack for the active EMGs
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

Nemonic will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I play Cort sevenstring baritone guitar in drop E tuning, I got 707 as a bridge pickup, I think it is a little bit muddy.
Would the 81-X be better way than 707-X-TW? I am looking for tight, clear sound through Overloud plugin.
Nemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #14
Slave Driver

DespoticOrder is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemonic View Post
I play Cort sevenstring baritone guitar in drop E tuning, I got 707 as a bridge pickup, I think it is a little bit muddy.
Would the 81-X be better way than 707-X-TW? I am looking for tight, clear sound through Overloud plugin.
Way to ressurect a thread almost 3 years old

The 81-7 is probably gonna have a bit more clarity in most guitars. It depends on your wood though really. I personally like the 81-7 over the 707 in mohogany, if we're talking about the bridge position. I tend to go with clarity/tightness over heaviness though.

Also, I've never been anywhere close to drop E... So you might consider looking up folks who play that low and seeing what pickups they're using, if you like how their's sound. Or watching comparison clips. Really the best way to go.

Check it out! My latest mix
DespoticOrder is offline   Reply With Quote