homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Does anyone here have a degree in economics?

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing now? I'm getting to the point in my community college career where I actually have to make up my mind and transfer instead of sitting around and collecting associate's degrees. This is something I've been interested in since high school but I don't actually know anyone with an econ degree.
wannabguitarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
I'm walkin' here!!!

scottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
my mom did. she worked at state farm for 10 years, then when she was pregnant with me she became a stay-at-home mom.
scottro202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro202 View Post
my mom did. she worked at state farm for 10 years, then when she was pregnant with me she became a stay-at-home mom.
That's exactly what I want to do!
Unread 03-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
I'm walkin' here!!!

scottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabguitarist View Post

haha sweet man, hope all works out for you
Unread 03-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
The econ guys I know are all just doing PhD programs now, so the answer is: after school you just do more school!
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
The econ guys I know are all just doing PhD programs now, so the answer is: after school you just do more school!
yayy, the only person I know that's currently getting one is going for a law degree afterwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro202 View Post
haha sweet man, hope all works out for you
I was actually being a bit sarcastic and referring to the stay at home mom thing
Unread 03-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
I'm walkin' here!!!

Quote:

I was actually being a bit sarcastic and referring to the stay at home mom thing
o haha . sarcasm detector doesn't work over teh interwebz, my bad
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
Orange Vigilante

AvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of lightAvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of lightAvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have a degree in Finance which involved taking a good amount of Econ, but the Finance side seems a little more real-world applicable. Its been my observation that the Econ majors are more on the academic track, while Finance majors are looking to get into banking or something. That being said, I'm a financial analyst at a small consulting company and one of the other analysts here was an Econ major.
AvantGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
get pregnant?
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvantGuardian View Post
I have a degree in Finance which involved taking a good amount of Econ, but the Finance side seems a little more real-world applicable. Its been my observation that the Econ majors are more on the academic track, while Finance majors are looking to get into banking or something. That being said, I'm a financial analyst at a small consulting company and one of the other analysts here was an Econ major.
Interesting, most UCs don't seem to differentiate between the 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
get pregnant?
Isn't that the point of going to college
Unread 04-02-2009, 01:28 AM   #11
Hard-On For Freedom™

JBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you go into mathematical economics (you'll need a lot of math, as the name indicates - a lot of modern analysis, really) you'll have guaranteed jobs all over the place... but if you get a real math degree you'll have even more guaranteed jobs all over the place *and* you'll make a living off of terrifying 'normal' people.

Jeff
JBroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroll View Post
If you go into mathematical economics (you'll need a lot of math, as the name indicates - a lot of modern analysis, really) you'll have guaranteed jobs all over the place... but if you get a real math degree you'll have even more guaranteed jobs all over the place *and* you'll make a living off of terrifying 'normal' people.

Jeff
While I'm not afraid of math I'm curious to how much more math would be necessary for an econ degree. I know I have to complete up Calc 3 to even transfer.
Unread 04-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #13
Hard-On For Freedom™

JBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himself
A lot of economics depends on math - basically, the less 'fuzzy' you get, the more math you use. Math is absolutely necessary for a lot of stuff, and mathematical results very frequently are used in economics - a lot of modern analysis winds up being used, for example - so in any route you go you'll need to deal with it somehow.

Jeff
Unread 04-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #14
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroll View Post
A lot of economics depends on math - basically, the less 'fuzzy' you get, the more math you use. Math is absolutely necessary for a lot of stuff, and mathematical results very frequently are used in economics - a lot of modern analysis winds up being used, for example - so in any route you go you'll need to deal with it somehow.

Jeff
Looks like I'm gonna have to get a bit more intimate with my calc textbooks. Having to take a lot of math to get a decent "real" job seems like a given nowadays. I don't see why people avoid it like the plague.
Unread 04-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #15
Hard-On For Freedom™

Let me know if you need any help with the stuff, I do teach it for a living so I know a few things here and there. Consider at least minoring in math... your focus will be more on analysis (measure and integration theory, as far as I know) than on algebra, geometry, 'advanced' (i.e. not the basic required-for-analysis-) topology, and so on.

Jeff
Unread 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Probably a dead thread by now, but... While I was most certainly NOT an econ major (american lit), my roommate was, and is currently doing economic analysis for a small telecom consulting firm whose primary business seems to be providing expert testimony (and the analysis upon which it is built) for class action lawsuits against the telecom industry. He loves it.

Aside from that, a lot of macro hedge funds are looking for guys with economics backgrounds, but expect (as JBroll points out) to really get the quant side of econ down cold, and even then while the hedge fund industry as a whole is certainly in for the long haul, considering how much downsizing has occured in the past year alone I don't know how easy it would be to bank on landing a job at a hedge fund right out of school.

The other area an econ background would get you in of course would be economic policy, but that could very well require a PhD (as well as relocating to DC).

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #17
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Probably a dead thread by now, but... While I was most certainly NOT an econ major (american lit), my roommate was, and is currently doing economic analysis for a small telecom consulting firm whose primary business seems to be providing expert testimony (and the analysis upon which it is built) for class action lawsuits against the telecom industry. He loves it.

Aside from that, a lot of macro hedge funds are looking for guys with economics backgrounds, but expect (as JBroll points out) to really get the quant side of econ down cold, and even then while the hedge fund industry as a whole is certainly in for the long haul, considering how much downsizing has occured in the past year alone I don't know how easy it would be to bank on landing a job at a hedge fund right out of school.

The other area an econ background would get you in of course would be economic policy, but that could very well require a PhD (as well as relocating to DC).
This thread won't be dead until I transfer out of community college

What exactly do you do (if you don't mind me asking)? From your posts I've read on here and mg you seem to either really know your shit, or you work in some field related to economics (and hopefully know your shit ).
Unread 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

metallatem is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was an econ major, but I graduated college almost 20 years ago, back when we used an abacus and slide rule.

Went on to get an MBA in Finance, and I'm now a bond trader.
metallatem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #19
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I work for a custodial bank in the investor services branch, doing performance analytics. I hope I know my shit, but sometimes I wonder! I'm looking to move from the custodial side (which is pretty boring, IMO - basically, we prepare data that primarily gets used for board reports, and as a check against investment manager data) to the management side where I'd be doing the same basic things, but it'd be way sexier because my analysis would be used as "feedback" to fine-tune management strategies.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote