homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
I'm Back Bitches!

CrashRG is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What course of action do I take now?

About a week ago, I posted a thread about me being laid off from my job and the bullshit involved and so on. Since being notified of the lay-off, I've been job searching, and checking some possible resources.

First:
My father in laws boss has offered to pay me cash to work in the warehouse of his business. This is good because then I can still collect my measely $346 unemployment pay, and add my weekly paid cash to it. ($10 an hour, 40hours a week + unemployment pay = $746 a week....not bad since I was making $691 / wk before taxes) PLUS i would be working for an FFL dealer. GUNS. LOTS OF THEM. I've already worked there the past two saturdays and theres enough guns and ammo there to hold off ensuing hordes of the undead......The owner of the company likes to treat his employees to "fun with firearms" days at his farm, and I like me some guns......and being an employee, I could probably get the AR15 I want half price.......woot.

Second:
I had already filled out an application at Interstate Battery as a Route Manager, another job notified to me by another in-law who works there. This would be payroll + commission. Don't know exactly what it pays, but given the nature of my in law that works there, if a job isnt good money, he walks away from it.

Third:
Tonite at the meeting for the laid off employees, we were also notified that if we chose to go back to school, the state would pay for our schooling up to a 2 year degree, plus still pay us our unemployment check. We also would not have to search for a job as long as we hold student status. This obviously is overturned if we quit school or achieve a 2 year degree in something.

Weighing the pros and cons, my first option is good money, and a job until/if I get called back (i have 18 months worth of callback rights)

The second choice sounds like a good change of pace, I won't get all dirty at work, I'll be my own boss for most of the day, I'll have to get a CDL to drive the trucks, but that wont be hard.

The third choice, should I take it, has the possibility of me finding a way better job in the long run, but seems to me the most uncertain route right now, seeing that I've already dropped out of college before, due to lack of interest.

All current and possible options have me being home in the evenings and on weekends (aside from the route manager job, I would have to work one overnight a week out of town, 4 hour saturday shifts optional, home by 5pm everynight) , and that is a plus because I hate working 2nd shift (2pm-10pm) and with my wife working 8am - 5pm, I hardly get to see her during the week, and that puts a strain on things.

I've got more options to check into soon, but these are the three that I'm now staring dead in the face. I'm just looking for a little guidance and encouragement from my brothers here. I really don't know which route to take. All include chances for good, and chances for failure. Arg, man. Arg.
CrashRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

SteveDendura has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you chose the 3rd option, what would you be getting a degree in?

Maybe you could go to college, collect unemployment and work part time in your father-in-law's boss's warehouse?

Nice to know you got options anyway

good luck!

Steve Wethy, guitarist of Dendura
Female Fronted Egyptian themed prog metal
www.myspace.com/denduraband
SteveDendura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
As for the first option, dude, you've just been laid off, and even if you can get the gun at half price, you seriously do not need to buy a ....ing gun if you've just been laid off. I think you can spend your money on something a little more....well, important don't you think?
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

1349sevengal is on a distinguished road
well in my opinion since you have 18 months of callback to get through i think the first option would work best for you. once those rights expire though i would look into getting a two year degree and working part time at your in-laws gun business. good luck

The Smart Gate will quiet anything down
1349sevengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
Guitar Popcicle

AK DRAGON is just really niceAK DRAGON is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1349sevengal View Post
well in my opinion since you have 18 months of callback to get through i think the first option would work best for you. once those rights expire though i would look into getting a two year degree and working part time at your in-laws gun business. good luck
+1
AK DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:12 AM   #6
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Option #1 seems to be the best of the bunch right now, and Harry is right, you don't need a gun right now if you've been laid off - there's more important things at hand. My dad was getting his CDL and the training for it now is rigorous. The final test to get the actual license is one of the hardest in the world.

(・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Yeah, I too think skip the CDL thing.
If option 1 can get you food on the table each day and gives you something do to 40 hours a week, that's fantastic, go for it.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
option 1 or 3
poopyalligator is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
I'm Back Bitches!

CrashRG is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm waiting to hear back more about the warehouse job, I think I may go that route, as it will also save me money on gas in the long run, because for the most part I would be riding to work with my father in law, on top of the fact that I already helped out over there the past two saturdays, so I already know some of the job.......my father in law had also said something about me being able to move into a sales position there if I wanted to someday (obviously would have to get hired on for that)

I did receive a call from Interstate Battery, and they want to interview me saturday morning, so obviously I'm not turning that down. I don't think the CDL test would be that hard, the trucks I'll be driving aren't huge, and I've seen some of the guys that live around me that theyve given CDL's to

I'm also waiting to hear back from Hollister-Whitney elevator corp. I had applied there a week before I applied at Knapheide (where i just got laid off from), their plant manager called me a week into 2008 and wanted to give me a job, and I told him that it was nice, but I was going to stay put and see what happened. He told me that he would quote "keep the application in his desk" and he "didn't care if it was a year from now, if you need a job, come out here and ask for me directly" so maybe ill have some luck there.

options options options.
CrashRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Option #1. Don't worry about guns, we aren't due a zombie horde for 3 years.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
The DeRailer

silentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to all
I would take an education myself, knowledge is power.
silentrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

EliNoPants is a glorious beacon of lightEliNoPants is a glorious beacon of lightEliNoPants is a glorious beacon of light
yeah, i'd go with option 3 in a landslide while working part time too if you can

and if you think you can't handle school and work, i'm gonna point out that i used to live with the most average human being ever (i can't begin to describe this guy well enough here for you to understand HOW average he was,so you'll just have to take my word for it), and he managed to work 50+ hours a week while taking 18cr hours at school, plus he had a band at the time, and still managed to spend time dicking off and getting wasted with the rest of us in the house
EliNoPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #13
Melodica Attack!

estabon37 is just really niceestabon37 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only problem I can see is #1 essentially being casual work. Granted, I've only ever worked casual (9 years) and somehow held onto a sense of job security over three jobs in that time. Would there be job security at #1 or would you likely be dropped after a month or two?

That aside, it seems like three solid options. Not everyone has those these days. Good luck dude!

Me Grimlock no bozo, me king!
estabon37 is offline   Reply With Quote