homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #501
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 99 reviews
Well, all other bullshit (and good) ideas aside, we know that energy can not be created or destroyed, only used/harnessed in some way. Your mind can not be destroyed, being in some way an energetic process, although the physical receptor (the brain) very well can be. I know that is a somewhat odd way of looking at it, but I'm in no way religious. I really dislike religion, actually.. but I can't simply get past this idea.
Adam Of Angels is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #502
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i love the number of views this thread has...
hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #503
Hard-On For Freedom™

JBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Of Angels View Post
Well, all other bullshit (and good) ideas aside, we know that energy can not be created or destroyed, only used/harnessed in some way. Your mind can not be destroyed, being in some way an energetic process, although the physical receptor (the brain) very well can be. I know that is a somewhat odd way of looking at it, but I'm in no way religious. I really dislike religion, actually.. but I can't simply get past this idea.
Or turned into matter...

Look, the energy and matter constructing the brain may not be destructible, but that doesn't mean it can't be reconfigured in a much less useful way.

Jeff
JBroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #504
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
The difference is, I'm assuming that there's some sort of conscious energy recieved by the brain, rather than the brain mysteriously producing what we know to be the human mind. The other difference is that I don't have a problem with whatever it is you believe.
Unread 12-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #505
Hard-On For Freedom™

JBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himselfJBroll is deemed true by Crom himself
You can believe whatever you want, but that justification just didn't fit well - there are far too many other possible configurations of the same amount of matter and energy, that's all.

Jeff
JBroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #506
What is this then?

Brendan G is just really niceBrendan G is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
The difference is, I'm assuming that there's some sort of conscious energy recieved by the brain, rather than the brain mysteriously producing what we know to be the human mind. The other difference is that I don't have a problem with whatever it is you believe.
Dualist bastid.
Brendan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #507
The GAS Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan G View Post
Dualist bastid.
Hahaha that smiley kicks ass
Unread 12-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #508
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
OK, so where does this concious energy come from? You said in a previous post that you don't believe that energy can be created or destroyed*...

Are you trying to say that the energy required for conciousness is somehow different to the chemical energy that eating food provides?

We know more or less how the brain works (chemical and electrical triggers & receptors), that brain chemistry & construction has an affect on abstract things like mood, memory, personality (personality disorders because of physical problems with the brain)... and that abstractions like thoughts & moods can have an affect on the chemistry & construction of the hardware (you can train your memory, plus reactions to things like danger).

There's a heck of a lot of energy being used between our ears - thinking burns a lot of resources!

Anyway, if the energy that our brain consumes - and, as a product of this, our thoughts and personality and soul - isn't from our food, where does it come from?? Computers don't work if you don't plug them in...

To my thinking this is where the whole dualist view kind of fails. Where does this 'energy' come from? How does it interact with the natural universe? As more advanced animals obviously have what we call 'personalities' how do we classify them?

Too many questions, and that's without any reference to higher powers or deities.

* JBroll is absolutely right in saying that you can convert matter to energy - nuclear energy is an example of this - although I'm personally not sure if the reverse is true, it may be. Actually, you can look at matter as essentially a potential for energy and nothing else.

FWIW energy at the quantum level appears to spontaneously appear & disappear, and because of this there are situations where supposedly the amount of energy in the universe may increase or decrease (particle/antiparticle creation at the event horizon of a black hole which catches one of the pair but not both), but this is all somewhat theoretical and way above my head!!

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #509
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I just want to say that it wasn't my intention to drag this shit over into the Epic Phail Picture Thread, my picture was merely stating the fail that was someone trying to neg rep me, and it didn't count, hence the failure.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #510
Banned

twiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
I just want to say that it wasn't my intention to drag this shit over into the Epic Phail Picture Thread, my picture was merely stating the fail that was someone trying to neg rep me, and it didn't count, hence the failure.
The only thing I can't figure out is WHY did that one get closed but this one is STILL open?
twiztedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #511
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztedchild View Post
The only thing I can't figure out is WHY did that one get closed but this one is STILL open?
Probably because this one's doing what it says on the label (well, it wandered then returned) whereas the pic thread kind of didn't...

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #512
Banned

twiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to beholdtwiztedchild is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairychris View Post
Probably because this one's doing what it says on the label (well, it wandered then returned) whereas the pic thread kind of didn't...
Maybe. but THIS one is really turning into nothing but neg reps. at least it was
twiztedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #513

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
You either go to Heaven or Hell.
Thats what really happens.
Xiphos68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #514
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post
You either go to Heaven or Hell.
Thats what really happens.
Unread 12-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #515

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
That's truth you either believe in Jesus and dedicate your life to him or you don't and go to hell and burn eternity. No sugar coating whatsoever. Send me a message if you have any questions.
Unread 12-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #516
Appreciates Kwolity

ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.
Quote:
I dunno man. I wouldn't doubt him, he seems pretty certain about it.

"I'm back, babeh!" ಠ_ಠ
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #517
Pantysniffing zombie

I don't have a problem with your beliefs, I have a problem with how your presenting them. Apparently, you missed the 10 pages of this thread where we already dealt with that.

You want to believe in Jesus? That's cool. You want to believe I'm going to hell? Sure, that's part of your belief. But at least try to present it in a more respectful manner.
Unread 12-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #518

Sorry about that I wasn't trying to be mean but I get what your saying. I was trying to spread the truth about Jesus.
Unread 12-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #519
Pantysniffing zombie

That's cool and all, I mean, spreading your faith is part of it, I get that. It's just coming into a thread after 13 pages of (some ) intelligent discussion and just throwing "That's what really happens" after stating your belief, with absolutely no discussion about why you believe, or rather any personal thought or new information just kind of burns my ass
Unread 12-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #520

Would you like me to tell you about it? I'm not going to bother about if you dont want me to.
Unread 12-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #521
Appreciates Kwolity

ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.
Quote:
Sorry about that I wasn't trying to be mean but I get what your saying. I was trying to spread the truth about Jesus.
Dude, if you read most of this thread you'll find that the people you're imposing your beliefs on have weighed and measured the ideals from the bible and found them wanting. There's no point preaching to them because they've either been brought up Christian and found themselves questioning the existence of a god or higher being or have been otherwise exposed to it all their lives and still think that it's pointless.

I have found no "truth" in the bible. Only superstition and fairy tales.

EDIT:
Quote:
That's cool and all, I mean, spreading your faith is part of it, I get that. It's just coming into a thread after 13 pages of (some ) intelligent discussion and just throwing "That's what really happens" after stating your belief, with absolutely no discussion about why you believe, or rather any personal thought or new information just kind of burns my ass
This is basically it. We want to know what and why you believe this. Not just come in and state it like fact with no evidence to back it up.

"I'm back, babeh!" ಠ_ಠ
Unread 12-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #522
Pantysniffing zombie

No, personally not interested in your faith itself, in fact if I believed in the Christian god I'd worship the devil probably We already had the Christian discussion, and I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with the Christian belief that good = heaven, bad = hell. Unless you have something new to add. I mean, feel free to post whatever, I'm not a mod, I'm just saying you're going to get your ass handed to you in a theological debate where all you say it "That's what really happens"

But were there any life changing events that sparked your faith? Or were you just one of the many people raised that way. To me, it's interesting hearing about an experience that would be so life altering that you would start to believe in a deity. Being raised and taught that way is a lot more boring
Unread 12-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #523

What evidence is there. Have you seen this earth. There obliviously had to be creator for it to happen. I dont understand why people dont want to feel the love of God.
Unread 12-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #524
Appreciates Kwolity

Quote:
But were there any life changing events that sparked your faith? Or were you just one of the many people raised that way. To me, it's interesting hearing about an experience that would be so life altering that you would start to believe in a deity. Being raised and taught that way is a lot more boring
Yeah! 99% of the time it's the other way around.

"I'm back, babeh!" ಠ_ಠ
Unread 12-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #525
Appreciates Kwolity

Quote:
What evidence is there. Have you seen this earth. There obliviously had to be creator for it to happen. I dont understand why people dont want to feel the love of God.

"I'm back, babeh!" ಠ_ಠ