homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-14-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
Trippin' balls

Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Kotex is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator

Some articles on it:

APOD: 2008 February 25 - Dawn of the Large Hadron Collider

Large Hadron Collider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Large Hadron Collider Could Create Wormholes: a Gateway for Time Travelers? | Universe Today

Large Hadron Collider - World's Biggest Physics Project - Higgs Boson Particle, Dark Matter, Big Bang - Popular Mechanics

Too much blood in my alcohol system
Kotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-14-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Arktanian Diplomat

Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Nerd.
Woody.
Zepp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Wow. That's pretty awesome.

Bullshit.

Particles existing in other dimensions? Okay.
A source for dark matter known as "unparticles"? Okay.
Time travel? .... no.

Sounds like a bunch of friggin' sci fi nerds who haven't looked at the situation realistically.

Of course, they suddenly say, "Ohhhhkay, ohhhkay, this really isn't realistic and everything we said up until now was just silly nonsense:"

Quote:
Relativity doesn't dispute this idea, but the likelihood of a person passing through time is slim-to-impossible when the dimensions of a possible wormhole will be at the sub-atomic level at best and it would only be open for a brief moment. Testing for the presence of a man-made wormhole would be difficult even if we knew what we were looking for (perhaps a small loss in energy during collision, as energy escapes through the wormhole?).

As if that didn't discourage you from hoping to use wormholes for time travel, Dr Brian Cox of the University of Manchester says: "The energies of billions of cosmic rays that have been hitting the Earth's atmosphere for five billion years far exceed those we will create at the LHC, so by this logic time travellers should be here already." As far as we know, they're not.
Personally I believe time travel is impossible and I have a lot of scientific reasons for believing this (my original ideas about this started when I was 8 and I ended up researching into it afterwards). So I really think this is just a bunch of nonsense.
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
Arktanian Diplomat

Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.
Time travel cannot happen in any physical sense, but we have been able to "look back in time" using the hubble telescope...but we're actually looking at old light...

Dark matter scares me.
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
plays in 69/42

Thrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud of
could creating worm-holes possible fall under the category of "un-safe"?
i mean ...., what happens if one becomes uncontolable?
i certainly hope those guys know what they are doing....

and yeah time travel is stupid.

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Thrashmanzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
You're no daisy.

Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.Karl Hungus has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wow. It looks like the Death Star's main gun.

"Does the brain control you or are you controlling the brain? I don't know if I'm in charge of mine." - Karl Pilkington
Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
Arktanian Diplomat

I don't understand how the physics would work to actually controll that force, especially when we know so little about it.
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
Arktanian Diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Wow. It looks like the Death Star's main gun.
Maybe it is, but it's camoflauged.
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #9
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashmanzac View Post
could creating worm-holes possible fall under the category of "un-safe"?
i mean ...., what happens if one becomes uncontolable?
i certainly hope those guys know what they are doing....
That's only a theory. When the RHIC (Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider in Upton, New York, which is currently the largest and highest energy particle accelerator in the world until the Large Hadron Collider is finished) was built, they were sued by a group of people who tried to get them to stop under the theory that they could accidentally create mini black holes, strangelets, or a false vacuum and destroy the world instantaneously. Of course, the position held by the scientists is that particles being propelled at much much much higher speeds have been colliding with the Earth for billions of years and the Earth is still here. The guy tried to sue again in like 3 different cities and lost in each one. And that was over 10 years ago and the Earth is still here.

I personally don't think it would create worm holes, but that is just one theory.

And, if it did create a worm hole, it wouldn't be a human-sized sci fi movie wormhole, but would be one of subatomic size and a lifetime of a few nanoseconds.
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #10
plays in 69/42

Thrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud of
well that put me at ease! (it actually did, that probly sounded sarcastic though)
good points
good luck to them i say

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Thrashmanzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
Arktanian Diplomat

Do they plan to use it for antimatter production? The current theories on it scare me. They say that if it comes in contact with matter the energy released would be powerful and catastrophic.
Unread 05-14-2008, 05:44 AM   #12
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp88 View Post
Do they plan to use it for antimatter production? The current theories on it scare me. They say that if it comes in contact with matter the energy released would be powerful and catastrophic.
They haven't tested it, so they don't know if that's possible or not. They think it's possible that dark matter could be produced with it. But we know nothing about dark matter, so that's really just a wild guess in the dark.

Everything they say about it now is just guesses. We really know nothing about things at the speeds they're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashmanzac View Post
well that put me at ease! (it actually did, that probly sounded sarcastic though)
good points
good luck to them i say
Generally the people who exceedingly worry about this kind of stuff are the ones who don't really understand how it works.

But, considering some of the off-the-wall things some sites say (time travel!?), I can see why people would start worrying about "doomsday."

It probably also comes from the common scenarios in horror movies and sci fi flicks where man messes with science too much and destroys the universe or gets sent to some horrific dimension no one knew about.

Last edited by Naren; 05-14-2008 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 05-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #13
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
My name is Leon, and i Approve this Thread

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #14
Stop the Madness!

Nick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to behold
i touched on this stuff in an elective course at uni only very basically though.

Its pretty interesting but i cant be assed with the maths of it.

After looking at some of what we do know im with Naren on time travel being impossible. The way time 'works' is not condusive to being able to make things move through it. The way the human mind rationalises time isnt really the way it actually happens and its pretty much the human minds version of how it works that gives rise to the thought of time travel.

.... it jump in the enterprise and fly round the sun. we all know it would work!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 06:58 AM   #15
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Joerg at nekochan.net does IT for guys who are making it. Pretty cool stuff.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #16
OldschoolGhettostyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
i touched on this stuff in an elective course at uni only very basically though.

Its pretty interesting but i cant be assed with the maths of it.

After looking at some of what we do know im with Naren on time travel being impossible. The way time 'works' is not condusive to being able to make things move through it. The way the human mind rationalises time isnt really the way it actually happens and its pretty much the human minds version of how it works that gives rise to the thought of time travel.

.... it jump in the enterprise and fly round the sun. we all know it would work!
Technically speaking, we're travelling through time right now.

I could go through my scientific reasons for believing this and actually one of my main reasons for it hinges on something I thought up in elementary school that none of the other kids (or even the teachers) had thought of, but in very basic terms, my opinion on time is that it is a linear dimension and, as such, you cannot go back to the past (because it doesn't exist anymore). Also, the future has not happened yet, so we can't go there. Technically, the only time that exists is "now."

I do believe that time moves at different speeds in different locations, due to the pull of gravity, but I don't believe you can travel back and forth through time like it's an actual physical location to be traveled to. So, going close enough to the sun could change the speed of time for you, but you wouldn't be able to go backwards in time... ever.

Anyway, this is getting a little away from the particle accelerator/collider thing, but yeah...
Unread 05-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #17
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I KNOW for a fact time travel will not be possible (at least that I know about) in my lifetime, as if it did, I would break into where ever it was, travel back and invest in IBM and Microsoft like 30 years ago, and right now be living in a mansion banging mad bitches. Since I'm at my job, sitting at my desk and not doing work I should be doing, I'd say that's proof.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #18
Fossicker

DevourTheDamned is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wow, i just read up on that for about 3 hours.
that was fascinating.

im seriously contemplating becoming a physicist now O.O

but yeah, scary 'strange matter' taking over all particles of existance.
and what if the unmeasured, un-sure Hawking Radiation doesnt exist? then will the micro-black holes converge into one and become massive enough to start devouring the planet?

damn,
this is cool shit.

thanks a freaking million.
DevourTheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #19
Carvin Zealot

keithb is a glorious beacon of lightkeithb is a glorious beacon of lightkeithb is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
I KNOW for a fact time travel will not be possible (at least that I know about) in my lifetime, as if it did, I would break into where ever it was, travel back and invest in IBM and Microsoft like 30 years ago, and right now be living in a mansion banging mad bitches. Since I'm at my job, sitting at my desk and not doing work I should be doing, I'd say that's proof.
keithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #20
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez View Post
JJ's a philosophical genius.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #21
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
It's simple logic really
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #22
OldschoolGhettostyle

I can agree with JJ's logic there.

(Although the article had some weird idea that you would only be able to go back to the date that the "time machine" was first made. But, they were just making up a bunch of ridiculous stuff there, so I wouldn't take it at face value).
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #23
7&gt;6

NiCkMiLnE has much to be proud ofNiCkMiLnE has much to be proud ofNiCkMiLnE has much to be proud ofNiCkMiLnE has much to be proud ofNiCkMiLnE has much to be proud ofNiCkMiLnE has much to be proud of
THts in CERN right?

that place is immense

laney aor series II
mesa boogie nomad
^in stereo^

el34+ 6l6 = <3
NiCkMiLnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #24
Appreciates Kwolity

ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
This whole thing has terrified me for quite a while...

"I'm back, babeh!" ಠ_ಠ
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #25
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCkMiLnE View Post
THts in CERN right?

that place is immense
yep

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote